Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Car Break-ins On The Chilliwack Vedder River  (Read 13388 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Car Break-ins On The Chilliwack Vedder River
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »

The idea of a Bait car there wont fly,  most of the times they are smash and grabs. Also to those who have said someone should wait in the bushes i have this to offer, name a fisherman that would wait in the bush when he would be dying to get on the flow??  We have postulated what to do for 20 yrs on the Chehalsi(original break in capital) but no one ever ponies up when a chrome bar could be in that run where you parked...lol... I was B&Ed at the Chehalis and obviously i would love to had my way with them but ive never had the desire to sit in wet bushes with Louis the Slugger beside me....  one more thing,  if you catch them red handed, pummel them to a pulp as ive heard police say its the only way they learn
You are right Cammer, a bait car per say would not work but I would like to try and do something. If the RCMP thing does not fly we are in the final stages of setting up a Wilderness Watch program. Thanks to Terry we have got a truck donated and recently gas donated too. We hope to have the volunteers and training in place in a few weeks so we will try to address this problem along with the regular patrols somehow.

Something has to be done as it is spoiling many anglers fishing trips like you experienced as well.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 11:02:26 PM »

I saw two cars broken into while driving along the Vedder, both within a kilometer of eachother :(.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 01:41:32 PM »

I saw two cars broken into while driving along the Vedder, both within a kilometer of eachother :(.

Where abouts?

Mid river....not sure of the name of the run they were by though :-\.

CohoKiller5

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 11:48:22 PM »

Had my Car broken into in October 2007 while coho fishing.  I seen the guy who did it too!  He was probably 6 feet tall, heavy build, unkept looking, wearing plaid work jacket, had a rotty/pitbull cross dog with him.  Never seen him vehicle he was in.  Popped/broke my passenger door lock and stole my pocket change, packsack with all my clothes and my tool box.

this was right before you get into yarrow in cottonwood parking lot (right by where they layed down new ashphalt road)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »

Had mine broken into two weeks ago. The fifth time no less in the last seven years :-\ Soon it while be a bi-annual event. They just trashed the lock on the driver side. So instead of doing the $300 deductable I bought a used lock and had it rekeyed. They made off with nothing of much of value as I don't leave anything worth much in the car. But it sure makes you irked especially when they could have went to the passenger door thats still screwed up from the last break in. I wish them a speedy trip to crack heaven if they can't look after themselves or get help.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 10:15:40 PM »

Yeah had my truck broken into while at Allison Pools, on the turn while I was down below. One guy watching while the other made a mess of my locks to the Dodge, 2000 dollars damage. A couple of trips later made the mistake of taking the kids dodge with a canopy to the canal dyke on spring break, little buggers shot out the tinted windows of the canopy with a pellet gun??? 700 hundred dollars later. Couldn't give up the fishing so invested in a older car, now I leave it unlocked, empty of anything what so ever and enjoy my day fishing. That is what it has come to just to get a day of relaxing on the flow.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »

Had my truck window smashed last sunday while fishing my local river. Crackers stole my bare kodiak jacket and buddies camo hunting one, left my islander setup that was hidden on the side and buddies drift rod, took a couple cds and nickles though. @#^$%@^$@ $300 deductible for the window. Told my old boss at Riverside to keep a look out for a junkie trying to flog my jacket, later that day jacket was found down at labour unlimited. What a joke. Atleast i got my jacket back. Police are trying to track down who it was.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 11:49:06 PM »

It really bugs me because right now it's never been easier to get a job. Even if you can't keep "regular hours". Even if you haven't been in the job market for years. :-X

I was in Coquitlam last time fishing, and the other ones were right in front of my "stop by and b.&.e. bouquet, on the way to the crack shack" house. :(

I'm a recovering victim of theft and my name is troutbreath. :-\

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 11:51:18 PM »

Are break-ins only happening to cars without alarms or it does not make a difference anymore?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 12:02:36 AM »

Your alarm might end up costing having your widow smashed, battery cable cut, etc. Thats OK if you know how to fix it, but if not it means extra cash for paying for help and expenses. Probably smarter to be dropped off in some area's rather than risk getting broken into if the losers are on the loose. :-\

CohoKiller5

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »

YES, alarms do make a difference.  I bet the people that got broken into did not have a alarm.  Even a blinking LED on the dash willl deture most thiefs trying to decide which vehiicle to break into.

nosey

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 12:58:03 PM »

I don't even leave my doors locked, why bother with a canvas top, I leave as little as I possibly can in my vehicle and hope the fact that anyone poor enough to drive a POS vehicle like mine doesn't have much to steal registers on some part of the damaged brain cells these thieves possess.

Toprod

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 04:16:54 PM »

Back to the ever popular and always controversial Riverside Boxing Lesson theory...... :) :)

Colorado Grinner

• never enough
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »

I put in an after market alarm system and feel a "little" more relaxed when I'm way down river from my truck.

Some of you might want to check the specifications on security system if you have a factory alarm.Until I looked into these things I thought my wifes car was secure,it beeps with the remote and honks if you open the unlocked door with out using the remote first,but if you want in simply smash the window or drive a screw diver though the lock.Most factory systems are designed to prevent theft of the vehicle only not to protect the contents of the vehicle.A good after market system has shock sensors that are triggered with a slight tap or jar on the vehicle and door pins so the door cant be opened with out setting off the alarm.If you don't already have an immobilizer get it linked to your ignition or fuel system as well.One more thing is an actual LED light linked to the system,Scum test those lights with a quick knock on your window,no warning cherp means its a fake.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 09:26:54 PM »

What about car registration document? Do people leave that in the car, or carry it while fishing since quite a bit of information is on it.