Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New float works pretty good!  (Read 4091 times)

Stealth

• Steve Kaye Sportfishing
New float works pretty good!
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:58:55 PM »

Hit the river at the crack of 10am and fished till 2.30, hooked two fish lost a hatchery buck close to
shore that looked to be in the mid teens and then later landed this 9lb hatch.
Guess these new floats work pretty good, both fish is less than 3 feet of water.
Great way to start the new year!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: New float works pretty good!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 12:12:39 AM »

Nice fish!...is that a little bit of pink wool that did the ticket??
weeeeeeeeeow!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »

Nice fish. Congrats. Were those fish hooked in the lower river? Nice looking new stealth float. Are they available in River Side Tackle in Poco?

Stealth

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 08:57:02 AM »

Nope, not wool that is what's left of my killer roe bag (special single egg recipe)
The new floats are available now at all of our dealers including Riverside.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:50:53 AM »

While I'm sure we'd all like to believe the float is the magic ingredient, would it have caught the fish without the "killer single egg roe bag"?  Probably not.  Presentation of lure/bait is what makes it for fish.  The float's job is to FLOAT isn't it? ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »

While I'm sure we'd all like to believe the float is the magic ingredient, would it have caught the fish without the "killer single egg roe bag"?  Probably not.  Presentation of lure/bait is what makes it for fish.  The float's job is to FLOAT isn't it? ;)
The key is, no matter what type of float you use, to increase your success a Maple Leaf logo on them is a must. ;D  ;D

The new Stealth looks good Steve.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:13:30 AM »

The key is, no matter what type of float you use, to increase your success a Maple Leaf logo on them is a must. ;D  ;D
Uh Yup... Sure.
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app?gameNumber=598&gameType=2&page=Recap&season=20072008&service=page

river walker

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:21:07 PM »

;)  my float rarley floats ;D
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Stealth

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 07:28:38 PM »

Well Dragonspeed seeing as you asked...I do believe that the float does play a big part in successful float fishing. Besides a good float is just nicer to fish with
Now while I have not been around as long as some anglers on this forum lets just say I have been around long enough to have caught a couple of steelhead here and there and have had the opportunity to observe so interesting fish behavior. 

First from the anglers perspective think of your float as your eyes into the Steelheads world, if your eyes are mostly closed you can not see what is happening very well. A quality float, say...the Stealth Traditional Series for example (insert shameless plug here) ;D will tell you better what is happening down below as they are more sensitive and track much better. A nicely tapered float like say...the Stealth Traditional Series for example (insert shameless plug here) ;D will also retrieve with less effort and less surface disturbance. I am not saying that you will not catch fish on cheap dink floats I am just saying that they lack some of the refinements that the more advanced floats can offer. Attention to details, sometimes small details are what separates consistent anglers from occasionally successful anglers.

Something that many anglers overlook is the fishes viewpoint, they look forward and up. Fish in shallow,slower or clear water are much more weary and a visible float can spook or distract fish that may otherwise be thinking about your bait! keep in mind the two most visible colors are white and black, dark floats can be particularly visible because they silhouette and are very obvious. I have observed on several occasions Steelhead and Salmon move aside as a visible float drifted over them and then take the bait presented under a clear float. Personally I catch most of my Steelhead in 3 feet of water or less so for me a clear float does offer and advantage.

Today I was on the Vedder and I hooked (and lost) a fish in a run that had just been fished by and experienced angler that had just left minutes before. The fish was in two feet of water and the other angler had a black float, mine was the Stealth Traditional Series (insert shameless plug here) ;D  I cant help but think that it helped as we were both fishing bait.

As I said you can catch Steelhead with any float but consistent success float fishing is about paying attention to the little details and subtleties and a good quality float is a big step in the right direction. IMHO. 8)

BTW thanks Chris

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 07:56:36 PM »

I'm still waiting for my "Complimentary" new Traditional Stealth floats ;) I'm still using the first generation style Stealth floats and they seem to work just fine.

BTW Steve, where you wearing your "manly gloves" today?  ;D

Stealth

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »

BTW Steve, where you wearing your "manly gloves" today?  ;D
[/quote]

LOL! Yep they make me feel pretty and warm :-* however you never did get back to me about your jacket its very nice did you find out if it comes in mens styles? :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 08:07:35 PM by Stealth »

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »

Those Maple leaf logo floats are just nasty....I won a bunch of them in the FWR Derby that Chris put up last year.  I thought it might be kind of funny to post a fishy pic with one of them even though it was against my better judgement as a die hard Canucks fan.

Chris must have put some kind of hex on them because I got boned every time I tried using them.  After disinfecting them with a solution of vinegar and baking soda I gave them to a couple of kids I ran into on the river. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »

Those Maple leaf logo floats are just nasty....I won a bunch of them in the FWR Derby that Chris put up last year.  I thought it might be kind of funny to post a fishy pic with one of them even though it was against my better judgement as a die hard Canucks fan.

Chris must have put some kind of hex on them because I got boned every time I tried using them.  After disinfecting them with a solution of vinegar and baking soda I gave them to a couple of kids I ran into on the river. ;D
;D ;D ;D I will explain to you how well they work tomorrow, while you are at work. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 08:40:17 PM »

The chances of Chris catching a steelhead using a Maple Leaf Drennan is definitely better than the hockey team bearing that cursed name winning a game. ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 09:21:34 PM »

Hahahaha.....different team ;D