Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in Fiji and Hawaii  (Read 4700 times)

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
Fishing in Fiji and Hawaii
« on: December 19, 2007, 03:35:55 PM »

Hey guys, I will be spending a week in Fiji and a week in Oahu over the Christmas Holidays and I would like to do some fishing. Does any one have any experience fishing in these two locations? Any information would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing in Fiji and Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 07:09:36 PM »

Two very different places-there's a bunch of Hawaii shorefishing info here just do a search.

Fiji can be tough-water is clear, clear, clear and fish spook easy close to shore.

Use small silver spoons have some wire leader handy if you're getting bitten off fish eary late and always ask permission.

All land is Fiji private and the landholder owns everything right out to the far side of the reef.

This is just Good Manners-no one is going to give a sunburned tourist a hard time for throwing a few spoons around.

edit-Fiji beats the cupcakes out of Hawaii 40,000 times to one.

Hook Set

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:02:56 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=14979.0

I had a thread about it in the summer. Som members posted some good info.

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »

Thanks alot guys, the info helped alot! ;D

dan-o

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 08:52:26 AM »

just came back from a few weeks in hawaii. saw alot of locals fishings from shore with heavy and light gear. rented a rod while my wife shopped for the day. never landed a fish, nor did i see a local land a fish but it was still nice to think it might happen. i checked into the deep sea fishing. why do they call it deep sea if all the action is on the surface? anyway, watched the docks for a few days and didn't see any more then a few mahi mahi being brought in, which they say is "pound for pound the best fighting fish out there".  heard that before. good luck and remember, even if you don't catch a fish, your still in hawaii!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 09:47:59 AM »

Hey Zach

Only 80% of the land in Fiji is private property with about 20% a mix of Crown and Freehold. You can fish on that 20% no prob and it's easy to find Crown land as well - usually parks...

Have fun and I've fished there - fish are not that spooky and good to use a buzz bomb since you can cast distance - I used a 3 inch silver buzzbomb and got into some nice 5 to 10 pound trevallys (jacks) from the shore. I used an abu baticaster 5500 with 50lb powerline and 10 foot travel rod.

cheers

http://babasiga.blogspot.com/2006/04/fijian-land-how-we-got-some-of-our.html

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 06:41:55 PM »

Thanks for all of your help, by the sounds of it, it sounds like I have light gear though, a 4'6" rod rigged with 6lb test. lol. It will be a great trip none the less. ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 06:18:17 AM »

Hey Zach

It's not Fiji, but it is tropical (Maldives actually) and shows you what size fish you *may* get into from shore. It's also a personal reminder to me (despite what the BC gov't of license plates tells you) that there ARE other places on earth even more beautiful or "greatest" then BC lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGLwdxzBB8k

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »

lol. thanks for the video, it would be pretty awsome to hook into a giant GT like that one!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »

Lots of GT that size in Fiji-Great Astrolabe Reef down Kadavu is crawling with 'em lots around Taveuni and the northern Yasawas as well.

You'll need a bit heavier gear though. ::) ;D

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 04:52:01 PM »

Hey sam nice fish..are they a good tasting fish?

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 05:50:32 PM »

Hey Sam, awsome fish, were you on a guided charter when you caught that, because we are thinking of booking one, any insight on a company would be very helpful ;D

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »

Hey sam nice fish..are they a good tasting fish?
No they are tough as old boots but we had a good cook so it helped.

Hey Sam, awsome fish, were you on a guided charter when you caught that, because we are thinking of booking one, any insight on a company would be very helpful ;D
Cost about $C100/day as I recall that's the owner of the resort I was at-just a half dozen grass huts and a toilet block is all it was.

The gear you see is all mine Jona the owner was a killer fisherman but fished handlines his whole life.

If you want to go out dragging feathers on a heavy handline with local guys it should be less than that.

Doesn't souind like much but using handlines can be a lotta laughs.

Don't go through the hotel talk to people on the beach who own skiffs or the guys who run the shuttles out to skorkeling.

You're almost certainly on the popular Coral Coast-a place where strangely enough-all the coral died long ago from bleaching so if you want skorkeling you'll need a boat ride.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 09:43:49 PM »

Hey nice fish..are they a good tasting fish?

They are excellent eating fish if you know how to prepare them. We had them filleted, marinated in oil/garlic/basil then grilled with fresh mango salsa. Outstanding.