Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007/2008 winter Danish journal  (Read 17723 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2007/2008 winter Danish journal
« on: December 15, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »

Well, we ventured out to the fishing ground for the first time since we arrived in Denmark a few days ago. The weather was surprisingly mild, sunny and CALM. Persistent wind can really drive you crazy on this island nation at times. Today, we could cast in all directions without worrying about being blown around. The glassy water surface was also relaxing to look at. We visited a river where we have fished regularly. It produces sea trout, northern pike, european perch and a few other coarse fish species. Today, the target species are the three predatory fish mentioned above. Fishing can be good in the winter. The temperature is low, fish are not as mobile, so only big food items would tempt a strike.

Cost of fishing this river is much higher than what would cost to fish in BC. Beside the CAD$30 annual license, a day card that costs CAD$15 is also required.

Anyway, perhaps it was the nice weather, the fishing was not exactly spectacular. The first few hours were unproductive. Once the river was shaded in the afternoon, I managed to hook a small northern pike, which managed to wiggle itself into the weeds. I was able to pull it out, but the hook popped off when I carelessly horsed it to shore in the end.

We also explored a new section of the river, where I missed a few more good takes. Just when we were about to call it a day, I somehow foul-hooked a poor bream, which gave me some of its snot-like slime before I sent it back to the drink.

Beach fishing for sea trout tomorrow. Perhaps we will have better luck there.

We've set up a blog to put up website updates, document trips like this one etc, just to see if it is more organized this way. Anyway, it's at:

http://fishingwithrod.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:14:49 AM by Rodney »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Beautiful day, poor fishing in Denmark December 15th, 2007
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 06:53:41 PM »

Blogs cool Rod, but more shots of Nina and less of you!!! :-*

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »

Awesome report Rod!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:17:13 PM »

Nice blog. Looking forward to reading on the " going ons" in Denmark

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 09:12:01 PM »

Wow, much nicer weather in Europe...
I have almost forgotten that we have fishing in Vancouver.
Quite depressing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:48:21 AM »

Today we had a change of scenery. I was guided by two local avid beach fishermen who are constantly chasing sea trout. Sea trout, or migratory brown trout, is a rather fascinating species with a complex life history. As adults, they spend time feeding in the fjords or ocean and return to their natal streams when spawning. This is somewhat similar to pacific salmonids, except the timing of return is irregular. Some may choose to stay in the marine environment for an extra year until condition favours spawning. As a result, the size variation of fish caught on the beach is quite significant throughout the year.

Henrik and Lars decided to take me to a new location where I have not seen in the southern part of Zealand. Apparently the fishing during the week was good for some locals, who managed to land up to 25 fish on spinning gear. It means nothing really, since sea trout are constantly on the move. They follow the food source and seek out pockets of warmer water during the winter months. Well, appparently food and warm baths were further away from the beaches today, because we did not hit a single fish. The key was to cast into the darker weed patches, retrieve, and take one step and repeat the process. This ensures that the entire beach section is thoroughly fished. It’s basically steelhead fishing, except with a million gallons more water.

I managed to take some photos of the coastline, which is quite typical around Denmark. Notice the clay erosion on some of the small cliffs. It is an ongoing process caused by rain, freezing and melting.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2007/2008 winter Danish journal
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 02:17:51 AM »

A large high pressure has hovered around Denmark for over a week now. You would think that translates into clear, sunny sky. Instead, we just had dense fog and subzero temperature. The weather is expected to turn in the next few days as the high pressure moves on, meaning we will be back to milder but typically windier weather once again. Ryan, Lars and I took adventage of the last calm day by visiting the local beach.

There are no fish to report once again unfortunately. We spotted some large rainbow trout that escaped from nearby farms as we waded through the weedbeds. A few followed the fly, but none committed.

The photos pretty much sum it up - Foggy, grey, cold and fishless. These almost look black and white.

Here are a bunch of photos from around Copenhagen:

http://fishingwithrod.wordpress.com/2007/12/23/around-copenhagen-a-pictorial/

norm_2

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 04:20:34 PM »

Good photos,  I especially like the ones from Dec. 23rd.  Is the Canadian dollar higher or lower than on your last trip?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 10:18:05 AM »

Good photos,  I especially like the ones from Dec. 23rd.  Is the Canadian dollar higher or lower than on your last trip?

I am definitely getting more out of my Canadian dollars now compaed to the last few years. It's still expensive to buy everyday items but I don't cry as much about it now.

It was ridiculously windy over here as usual. We fished briefly just after lunch. This sea trout swallowed the 15 gram lure, cleared the water twice, made a few long runs and kept us scrambling on the rocks to find a good landing spot. It was not exactly the nicest fish. The locals call these “black fish”, which are post spawners. They are pretty common even in fjords and harbours this time of the year. Oh well, I sent it back after a couple of photos. Bring on the silver ones please.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 12:35:39 PM »

BOOT!

LOL, better than nothing.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 01:41:47 PM »

its a brown trout ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 02:25:29 PM »

BOOT!

LOL, better than nothing.

That's right, don't get jealous as usual now. ;D

its a brown trout ;D

Yep, both sea trout and brown trout have the same genus and species name. Sea trout are brown trout that behave like a steelhead but their return timing pattern is not as regular as their pacific cousins. This one was caught in the sea, where you would get a mixture of these and bright feeding fish as well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 10:12:45 AM »

Like all island nations, seafood plays a major role in the diet of Danes. Sole, halibut, cod, salmon, eel, herring and mackerel are just some of the common eaten species, especially during the festive season. A glance through the window of a fish store is always interesting. Not only does it give you an idea what is available seasonally, it allows you to make comparison in prices with fish that are sold in Canada.

The items on the left side of the window are mostly eggs from various saltwater species. Cod eggs are regularly eaten over here. Tuna cutlets were available at 200 Kroners (CAD$40) per pound! 1 piece of atlantic salmon (approx. 150 grams) costs 55 Kroners (CAD$11)!! It’s not cheap to enjoy seafood here.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »

Farmed Atlantic Salmon I presume. ::)

By the way, nice Brown.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »

Most likely, because wilds are actually much more expensive... We usually have smoked wild Atlantics from Norway for Christmas. If I remember correctly, they are several hundred dollars per plate (less than 500 grams).