Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Belcarra, December 16th 2007: Crabbing Season in Swing  (Read 1452 times)

Joe the Soccer Coach

Belcarra, December 16th 2007: Crabbing Season in Swing
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I was out at Belcarra yesterday (Sunday) around noon (high-tide) and caught two dungeoness crabs - one was 7 inches.  The pier was busy, and one fellow mentioned that the day before (Saturday) evening (high tide again), he limited out.  

It seems the crabs are coming, and it should get better in January and February.  

I'll be having crab cakes tonight! ;D

Cheers,

Joe
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:30:38 AM by Rodney »

lineBroke

Re: Crabbing Season in Swing
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:22:52 PM »

thx for the info.....I'd always thought that crabbing only happens in the spring to late summer, glad to know. Well, it's probably gonna be busy out there now huh?..

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »

what kind of crab traps are best used at Belcarra ? I have one of those star traps from way back ,are they still using them ?

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:35:34 AM »

Oddjob,

Honestly, I don't think it matters which trap you use, as long as the conditions are right - high tide, tide coming in, ample bait (3-4 chicken thighs should do), enough rope to compensate for the rising tide, and the right time of year (it will get better in January and February).  There were a few people at Belcarra that day with different types of traps and everyone caught crabs.  It was loads of fun to see everyone catch them.

Best of luck!

Joe