Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reel seat options  (Read 5374 times)

SnaggedADuck

Reel seat options
« on: November 25, 2007, 09:27:31 PM »

Well its more reel seat and cork as well.  I have an older rod(lower rod) and really like the cork style it has cause my hand is on cork and not reel seat, my other rod i dont dislike but would prefer to have it the same.  Is there a site that shows all the styles so i can potentially get it?

this site shows a similiar type of cork
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquarrowotc664f.html

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Reel seat options
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:31:52 PM »

JL

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:33:44 PM »

Those are some fine reels. What kind of rods are those?

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 10:19:58 PM »

JL,gotta love milners. lower rod is a 3106l,upper is a 8126.  Rod, I think i am just blind or dont know how to search that site properly.  I dont see a reel seat that resemblies the lower rod.  Could you post some serial numbers so i can searching for that directly please.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 10:45:07 PM »

Don't you have both reels on upside down?

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:17:22 AM »

Not if you're left handed. 
President Club S. C. & P.

SeaRun

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 12:34:45 AM »

Your reel seats are installed in what is called an "uplocking" position which means that the lock rings are toward the bottom of your rod.   Some fly rods are built this way especially if there is a fighting butt.   If you want your upper rod for your center pin reel to look like your lower rod then you will probably have to do some major rod building:

1) Remove the guides from the bottom half of your rod
        2) Remove the upper cork handle
        3) Remove your old reel seat
        4) Install a new reel seat (fly rod type with cork spacers) which is like this:

metal threaded tube/lock ring/hood ------- cork rings ---------upper reel seat hood with cork ring covering hood

5) Build a new upper handle
        6) Re-wrap your guides
        7) Coat your guide wrappings             

Hope this helps.

Brian Babcock

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 10:52:57 AM »

The seat in the lower pic is made by Fuji. The model # is IPSM 16/B. As far as I know it is only available in one colour and size. The inside diameter will be 15 mm so be sure your blank is small enough to accomodate that. If you want the corresponding preformed cork piece (highly reccomended), you need to order Fuji BGS25C. You may have difficulty finding these parts in Canada (not sure) as Normark controls Fuji distribution and I don't think this is a standard stocking item. Andy at Custom Rod Builders Supplies in Victoria may be able to help.

Hope this helps!

Brian

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »

Not if you're left handed. 

Both of those are right handed reels....which will mean the reel is going to make the clicking sound reeling in instead of making the sound when the fish is pulling line.  That is the sweet sound that i live for when fishin'.  When you fish them left handed you'll never hear the reel screaming.

Do Milners come in left handed models?

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 05:41:32 PM »

Kingfishers and Snipes won't matter which way you spin.  The only difference is that the clicker will be in the front instead of the back.  So if you prefer the clicker switch on the back, order a left handed model. Talismans are left and right handed specific because of the 3 way clicker system it utilizes.  Check out Milner's site as mentioned above.
President Club S. C. & P.

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »

Yeah, they are on backwards, I just threw em on to show where the reel is located.  Thought it might help visually.  The kingfisher clicker is on either way you spin it when its engaged, talisman clicks in only one direction.

Thanks for the help SeaRun on what would be involved as i dont have any experience and will most likely take it somewhere.  Thanks Brian for the serial numbers and the Victoria contact.  Appreciate the info guys thanks. 

SAD

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 07:01:26 PM »

Yeah, they are on backwards, I just threw em on to show where the reel is located.  Thought it might help visually.  The kingfisher clicker is on either way you spin it when its engaged, talisman clicks in only one direction.

SAD

That's what I was talking about because the talisman is pretty much a new and improved silex super ....it only clicks when the line is pulled out (when engaged), never when reeling in....the same as all the silexes when the clicker is engaged.  That's what makes all the older models from the major to the superba such great reels...that and they never wear out!

JL

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 09:11:03 PM »

I have a kingfisher myself. How does the Talisman compare?

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »

I am still getting used to it since i didnt use it so much this season.  I do find it heavier than what i am used to which is the only drawback.  It is super solid though and I love fishing with it.  definitely feel more confident fighting a chum with it than with the kingfisher as werid as that seems since i have the same line spooled on both.  I saw a guy with a norm macdonald centrepin and it looked pretty hot, after the wedding i am going to persue one but i never see them on here or craigslist etc.
SAD

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 08:59:14 AM »

Well, Snaggy, if you ever find the McDonald or you'd want to part with the talisman I have a pristine Silex Superba and a barely used gold Islander Steelheader I'd be willing to trade you for it.