Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switching the handle on a store bought rod  (Read 4947 times)

qescott

Switching the handle on a store bought rod
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:41:07 AM »

A while ago I got two old fly rods from a friend, one with a cork handle and grey, another with a foam(?) handle and black, they're almost identical apart from aesthetic features. But unfortunately I lost the grey one to a car door. I prefer the cork handle, and I also have many other broken rods that have cork handles I could use. My question is, is there any way to put a cork handle on my now only fly rod? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:21:29 PM by qescott »

Ken D

Re: Switching the handle on a store bought rod
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »

Hio. If you wish cork, and want to recycle an existing handle from another rod, you have 2 options. One is destructive to the rod, the other is destructive to the donor.

One is easy, the other is hard, and time consuming.

Easy/Destructive option: cut off the rod off just above the existing grip, add a pin to the rod, and splice on the cork grip, hoping that the bore diameters of the pin and the donor grip are close.

Hard and time consuming: remove the stripping guides off the butt section of the rod, carve off the synthetic grip, take a rat tail file, and file out the rod inside the donor grip, and slide the modified cork into position with a coat of epoxy to make the bond.

Re-wrap the stripping guides.

Valley Custom Rods

• Valley Custom Rods
  • Valley Custom Rods
    • Valley Custom Rods
Re: Switching the handle on a store bought rod
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 10:26:21 PM »

Hi qescott,
This should not be to tough. Depending on your rod length and weight I am guessing there is one or two stripping guides and maybe one snake guide. I can show you how to strip them off then clean off the Eva handle and for about $13.00 we sell very nice pre made cork handles. Wrap the guides back on coat and go fishing.  You buy a couple Timmies coffees and I would be happy to help if you would like. It is possible to reuse the old handle but there is a bit more work to do so and for $13.00 you will have a nice new well fitting handle. I am very sure we could reuse the old reel seat. I hope this helps and please contact me if I can help further.
Regards,
Mark