Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Etiquette  (Read 4481 times)

flatlander

River Etiquette
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »

Well I’ve got my first taste of ridiculous Vedder river etiquette today.  So far this fall salmon season I’ve had great experience fishing the Vedder.  On one trip I even had a guide from Fraser River have his client move when he got a little close to me.  I’ve found people fishing the Vedder have been polite and I‘ve thoroughly enjoyed my first experience this year with the river…until today.

Started fishing before first light and was the first to arrive at the run.  People start showing up shortly after first light.  I hook into a wild coho and take the fish off to a gentle spot to land and release the fish.  While I’m reviving the fish two guy’s watching me fight the fish start fishing in my spot right in front of my tackle bag.  One guy is fly fishing and takes away my casting lane completely.  It was so hilarious all I could do was laugh.

btw river conditions were good today.  Visiblilty around 2 feet.  Fishing was a little on the slow side given the number of people fishing around me.  Went home with one hatchery.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: River Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:04:07 PM »

Don't let the bad experience ruin your fishing day. Just some inconsiderate nitwit.

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:04:30 PM »

Sounds like a typical day at the Vedder. The crowds and the garbage + pressure on the system makes it an unsustainable fishery IMO. This once world class river should be a restricted zone with heavy enforcement. Without the on going organized cleanups, this river would be a sh*thole. Thanks to those who give back.

Solution : Fish a different river, theres a bunch of good ones around here that take more to get to than a short drive up a paved road.
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Piranha

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:24:30 PM »

happened to me at the capillano river. I was fishing alone and about 20 minutes later 2 young guys show up in full head to toe top of the line fly fishing gear and start casting roe few feet away from me. 5 minutes later 3 asian guys set in and and start casting. 5 minutes later 2 mexicans show up and start casting. All of us cramped in this small space casting over each others lines. I stopped and watched these guys get tangled. lol

Lumps

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:55:12 PM »

I hear ya! We were fishing the mouth of the Harrison this weekend and on Sunday we get there early, so we picked a spot to anchor not to screw the boat south of us or the fisherman on shore. We were there for about an hour and a half and another boat came in north of us which was fine. So here we were a bunch of boats and guys on the shore all having a good time fishing for Coho.
So along comes a boat and he is going up and down on the far side of the boats anchored casting in to shore looking for a spot when he weasels in between me and the boat to the south of us, brings it to shore and anchors 45' in front of us right in the slot we were nailing fish in.
The worst thing is he was a guide( I have his name and hull number) and he had a father and his 2 young boys with him, so I kept the profanity down but I told him what he did and how he screwed us. All he said was were am I suppose to go? I just about lost but kept my composer for the kids sake but it could have been ugly.
So here we have a guide who is suppose to be a professional teaching young kids bad river etiquette. To top it off they were bonking chum just for the roe, I know this because the father not knowing anything was telling his kids that they were keeping the chum for roe, you can here a lot on the water. I've noticed a lot of so called guides using the chum as a roe fishery.
Sometimes it just gets frustrating out there.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 12:11:32 AM »

You've been Vedderized!  :o
President Club S. C. & P.

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 01:24:08 AM »

the bait ban is on until the 1st of november.if you see anyone using roe call the rapp line. >:(
girls suck throw rocks at them!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 06:11:57 AM »

It was so hilarious all I could do was laugh.

That has been my response lately too. Loudly laughing with much obnoxiousness.

Works sometimes.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 06:54:16 AM »

Maybe you should have just stood behind them and started casting over their heads? worked for me this weekend, after taking a chum down river to a calm spot to land it three guys jump right onto the spot I was fishing. They moved pretty quickly once my fly line started whizzing over their heads.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 07:37:57 AM »

I find calm and respectful communication usually wins.  If I get hauled down river to land a fish, I really dont mind a guy taking a handful of casts in "my" spot while I am away.  You bet I will politely ask them to vacate once I arrive back. 

I move around a lot, a few casts here, move, a few cast there, move...so I also expect the same, if a spot is vacant for 5 minutes, then my personal feeling is a cast or two doesn't hurt anyone.  I admit I am an assertive person/fisher but I can fit into just about any reasonably sized spot and mesh with who ever is there.

About a week ago I had a few choice words with a guy who felt I beaked him out I guess...I would like to know what you guys think.  There was a guy fishing off a little cliff with a back eddy infront of it.  He was casting on the upper outside edge of the back eddy, catching the current and then drifting down a seem on the outside and below the eddy.  There was also a older gentleman maybe 30 feet above the back eddy.  They were both float fishing.  I walked in between them with a blue fox to fish the back eddy (water neither of them were fishing.  The guy on the rock starts throwing me the hairy eye ball immediately, even though we arent even fishing the same water and I am making eye contact with him and casting after each of his cast! Anyhow, I get a coho on a blade 5 casts in and then after that, nothing for 10 minutes.  I saw some nice springs rise so I decide to get my bait rod which is 50 feet up the beach.  As I do that I can see the guy on the cliff has a chum.  He cant land it there and ends up snapping off.  When I return with my bait rod, he is standing where I was.  He has just snapped off, nothing but a float left so I say something to the effect of while you retie, I am going to float a chunk off roe thru (he was fishing yarn)...the guy lost it on me...starts spouting off about how unbelievable I am, blah blah blah....I think that while there is a crowding issue on the vedder, people have to learn how to share the river?!?  So did I beak him out or did he beak me off?!?

That altercation was at he end of my day and the words exchanged really just left a bad taste in my mouth as I started my hr+ drive back to north van...not the way I wanted to end a trip!   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 07:39:51 AM by Gooey »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 10:06:09 AM »

There must have been 30 - 40 feet between the guy and the older chap...I don't think you can expect a spot like that to stay open indefinitely on the vedder.  As well when I went to get my bait rod, he had left his perch and moved to the spot I had been in but wasn't even ready to fish it...so whats the harm with a few casts as he reties???  Bottom line is that if he had of spoken to me opposed to jumping down my throat, I am sure we could have worked things out without any hostilities. 

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 11:32:44 AM »

I hear ya! We were fishing the mouth of the Harrison this weekend and on Sunday we get there early, so we picked a spot to anchor not to screw the boat south of us or the fisherman on shore. We were there for about an hour and a half and another boat came in north of us which was fine. So here we were a bunch of boats and guys on the shore all having a good time fishing for Coho.
So along comes a boat and he is going up and down on the far side of the boats anchored casting in to shore looking for a spot when he weasels in between me and the boat to the south of us, brings it to shore and anchors 45' in front of us right in the slot we were nailing fish in.

I would have totally snapped, pulled up anchor and chased him the heck out of there, I would not be concerned at all he had kids with him. He would have deserved whatever he got. There would have been one polite warning...

What an unimaginative guy, the fact he's a guide and has no better ideas on where to go is inexcusable...

Any good guide has at least 7 other options other than the mouth of the harrison, I say tough luck if you can't get up early enough to get into the best zone.

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:35:19 AM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Lumps

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 11:50:34 AM »

Any good guide has at least 7 other options other than the mouth of the harrison, I say tough luck if you can't get up early enough to get into the best zone.

Cheers,
Nicole

Nicole believe me it took all of me not to do anything, I now know who he is and if it happens again, kids on the boat or not it is going to be a bad time to be that guide.

It's funny you say get up early and get your spot because that's exsacly what I said and he just looked over and said "were am I suppose to go?" I just shook my head, and bit my lip!  >:(

My brother caught this when we moved up a little from the dude.

Karma I guess! ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:52:35 AM by Lumps »
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

Arnie Salmonegger

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 12:00:47 PM »

There's been a couple of times for me when I've been nailing fish pretty good in a spot, and after coming back from a fish chase, found someone who wasn't catching anything moved into my spot.  I then went to where he was fishing and kept on nailing fish, while he kept on getting nothing in my old spot.  It's days like this when I say, "There is a God!"

bravo252

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 02:30:25 PM »

the bait ban is on until the 1st of november.if you see anyone using roe call the rapp line. >:(

If you are talking about the Cap river..........

Wrong~!!! ::)

Read the regulation over again~!! ;D
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/docs/fish-synopsis_2007-08_region2.pdf
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:43:43 PM by bravo252 »