Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gun newbie  (Read 5929 times)

KLX

gun newbie
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:49:59 PM »

Hi,
I'm thinking of starting to pack heat in the bush for a few reasons. I've been going deeper and deeper into the bush and often my helpless little girlfriend or Dad comes with me so it would be nice to offer assured protection from an aggressive bear or drug growers (yes i've seen signs of them way up northeast of tofino). Also, i was thinking a short barrel shotgun would be useful if lost, i can get flares for it.

i was thinking a mossberg JIC pistol grip or the equivalent Remington.

Am i getting in over my head?
Havent shot a shotgun before...

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: gun newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:20:46 PM »

first off if u want a scatter gun get a semi-auto for this purpose. Second if its just for protection u dont need anything fancy, so a remington would be good. Third, u can buy/order short barrells for the gun. Finally, line up the target with the bead at the end of the barrel, have it firmly againts your shoulder, and dont jerk the trigger, just squeeze, and dont close your eyes
Fish killer 101

KLX

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 07:46:16 PM »

does the same apply for a pistol grip? Not sure if they are legal but a dealer on the island said he had one on the wharehouse to sell...hmmm. the whole gun is 26" long. I guess its harder to shoot without a back?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 08:19:57 PM »

yup, especially if its a 12 gauge. And with the pistol grip u would have to consult someone, rcmp, or vpd.
Fish killer 101

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 11:04:02 AM »

get yourself a Remington model 870, either a "wingmaster" or an "express magnum" in 12 guage. These come availlable with an 18 inch smooth bore or rifled barrel, with open sights. THE most reliable pump shotgun there is. For defense purposes, get ammo marked "OO Buck" and i generally carry a half dozen 1 oz slugs as well. You can get this shotgun in its standard stock configuration or you can get them with the pistol grip and folding stock..... perfect camp defense gun. Check italian sporting goods.... or if you want a great deal, Call Dlask Arms Corp (www.dlask.com) they have all kinds of options and are both local to vancouver.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 02:30:12 PM »

Dont go with a semi-auto! i dont know who said that but you dont need it jamming on you.  A good bet is the remington 870 pistol grip with a folding stock, 7 shots, good gun.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/premier_dealer_exclusives/model_870_express_7-shot.asp

Also the mossberg Just In Case as you mentioned is a cool gun, i love the floating case. Id go with the remington though, very reliable and a great gun, my bros have 2.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 05:32:46 PM »

I love my 870 wingmaster.

check out Wolverine Supplies.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 05:58:52 PM »

the barrel has to be 18'' long to be legal
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 07:44:39 PM »

Dlask Arms Corp on annacis island currently  manufactures a custom 8 inch barrelled 870 pistol grip in 12 gauge. Despite the fact that most guys here will disagree with me ... this shotgun IS currently NON RESTRICTED even though it is under 18.5 inches, and may be carried as a personal defense weapon while pursuing outdoor activities... providing you are liscenced to do so.
I have one..... it's basically a pump action 12 gauge pistol  ;D ... expensive..... but very practical for a hunter or fisherman.
it is not shown on thier website, but call Joe, the owner of Dlask... he'll tell you all about it. If i was in the market for a pump shotgun.... Dlask would be my first stop. www.dlask.com