Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Trip To The Chehalis, Oct.24  (Read 2102 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
A Trip To The Chehalis, Oct.24
« on: October 24, 2007, 07:33:15 PM »

Decided to take a trip to the Chehalis today as I was sure the Vedder would still be toast, in the Lower anyway.

Before I started fishing I talked to the hatchery manager about how the returns were and he gave me some hope as he said the coho are starting to come in now. He also added they got their Summer Run brood as the needed steelhead came right into the channel. ;D

When I got to the river I found it in good condition but I found no fish although I saw one fellow packing one up the left bank of the river, a fair amount of vehicles parked in the area. Saw some new chum surfacing as I fished and missed what I thought were two fish but didnot even barb them.

I fished and explored from about 9 to 12, maybe I should have started earlier. The rain sort of got me so I decided to leave it and give it another try later in the week, it should only get better although I am sure some rods took fish today. ;D

On the way out looked at some nice silver coho in the channel,good sized ones too, lots of chum of course, 2 summer runs and one large chinook bossing the other salmon around.

Fish were milling around in front of the camera trying to be movie stars I guess. The hatchery manager says it is hooked up to the hatchery computer system and goes down some time. He said Hancock is working on getting a separate line.

A nice little trip except for the rain but nothing a nice hot bath with an afternoon nap did not cure. ;D ;D

Another adventure is in the works for tomorrow as I now how my cutthroat brood capture permit, maybe time to start chasing the cutty sharks or maybe a duck hunt or, checkout the Vedder, retirement as I say many times is great. ;D ;D

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: A Trip To The Chehalis, Oct.24
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 08:26:17 PM »

Hey Chris , did you happen to take a boo at the cable pool by the intake  ??? . If so , how was it there ?
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 08:50:04 PM »

Chris

We were at the Chehalis last weekend.The water was beautiful but the river was void of anything and that includes CHUMS!!!

Not sure what is happening with that river.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

Chris

We were at the Chehalis last weekend.The water was beautiful but the river was void of anything and that includes CHUMS!!!

Not sure what is happening with that river.

They are coming. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 09:09:03 PM »

Hey Chris , did you happen to take a boo at the cable pool by the intake  ??? . If so , how was it there ?
Saw one fellow fishing it, one chap said his friend took two there the other day. Some camps setup in the parking area below it, they must be fishing the canyon.

The camp ground appears closed now, gate locked and a tree across the entrance road, will try to check why with my MLA when I see him in a week. It sure was nice when we could drive in there a few years ago.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 09:11:01 PM »

Chris, saw the leaf mobile in the parking lot as I passed through on my way up to Weaver to do an enumeration.  Certainly more cars at the Chehalis today than before and the water is high, but clear.  Didnt see anyone fishing the intake pool as we drove over threbridge but a fair # of people set-up camp in the Forest Rec sites.  

Derek Mcl

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:15:14 PM »

Somebody recently told me that that campground was soon to be transferred to new "local" management.  It looks like that has now happened.

YESFISH

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:13:02 PM »

Did they divert the river back infront of the hatchery or is it just a creek like at the end of last year?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 06:31:05 AM »

Did they divert the river back infront of the hatchery or is it just a creek like at the end of last year?
No diverson being considered at this time, no funds. A lot of money is being spend building up the left bank with rip rap, by the healing centre.