Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Oct 17  (Read 4486 times)

capohoc

Re: Vedder River Oct 17
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »

I have fished for many years and have recently started to view the posts on this forum.  I appreciate peoples posts, however , i am confused about how some can say fishing is great when they only catch a few jack springs.  Good fishing is 10 or so coho on the bank and chrome. If we keep accepting this as good fishing then nothing will be done to bring back the original hatchery numvers we once had.   All i see now is more and more fishhermen and less fish.  The fish community needs to stick together and demand more hatchery production from the feds. If the coho keeps going like this there will be no fish left.

SnakeRoll

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 11:23:19 AM »

I have fished for many years and have recently started to view the posts on this forum.  I appreciate peoples posts, however , i am confused about how some can say fishing is great when they only catch a few jack springs.  Good fishing is 10 or so coho on the bank and chrome. If we keep accepting this as good fishing then nothing will be done to bring back the original hatchery numvers we once had.   All i see now is more and more fishhermen and less fish.  The fish community needs to stick together and demand more hatchery production from the feds. If the coho keeps going like this there will be no fish left.

i am sorry but only a person who only cares about meat would make such a statement.. more pressure for higher hatchery production???? It's not hatchery clones that determines the health of a system rather the numbers of wild fish. Perhaps more pressure to protect the wild stocks?? ie, habitat protection, commercial interception, etc.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »

It's all subjective; what's normal for one is great to another.

jazzbass

• smoke'm if ya got'm
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 12:20:28 PM »

Wow Rod it is quite a thrill to be able to show people who don't usually fish a piece of river that produces salmon that are catchable with a rod. I'm sure you've done this many times but have you taken people to the Squamish when the fresh chum are in? I WILL take the occasional one that are sporting sea lice and smoke them for friends of mine but more than anything else I'm there for the battle. It can be thrilling to see the look on newbie's faces when when you hand them a fly rod after a quick lesson on how to cast even a short distance and then they feel the power that a nice 25 pounder can give them. The one thing that I tell them is that they have to be a bit careful at first since a fish that size can literally pull you over.. I'm sorry your day yesterday was filled with unfortunate incidents but one thing I KNOW is that your buddy had waaaay more fun than if he was laying on the couch with a remote in his hand.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 12:25:28 PM »

25llbs a big a$$ chum

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 01:49:38 PM »

jazzbass, funny that you brought up a Squamish River trip, because I took him out for that in 2003 and we had an excellent day with 20+ fish each with a few chromers kept. :)

In fact, we were discussing last night on the way back a possible trip next week if the weather permits (which is becoming quite unlikely based on the forecast).

When I bring an out-of-town friend or new fisher out for a trip, the venue is picked carefully. It's not necessarily based on the productivity of the fishery, but its uniqueness so my friends are experiencing something that they have never done before. capohoc, a coho-less day maybe disappointing to me (the fish were found after all, just not beached), but it certainly wasn't considered a bad fishing day. We saw a breathtaking sunrise, which Iwan couldn't stop commenting about as it emerged over the snowy mountains. He got to see a jack chinook, which he has never seen before and now knows how to recognize them. We saw a coho chasing my spoon. We saw chum salmon spawning and fighting for territories. We saw american dippers hopping around us, bathing and drinking. We had very minimal amount of rain while fishing. All these factors, which we regulars take for granted, resulted in an excellent outing.

As FA said, expectation is subjective and changes throughout a fisherman's career. ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 01:59:03 PM »

Stick to a coffee grinder Rodney and leave the casting reels to the pros ;D ;D
I have tried to get him to graduate to a single action reel. Using the reel he does is why he loses so many fish ;D ;D ;D but I did not have the heart to tell him that, until now. ;D ;D

Murmillo

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 10:10:38 AM »

I am totally in agreement with Rodney. (Expectation is subjective and changes…)

Just last year I started salmon fishing. When I caught my first spring (in my first trip in vedder) I was very excited and showed the fish to everyone. But… that was a very colored fish. This year when I catch that kind of fish, I release the fish as silently as possible.

To my believe, more hatchery production will not save the fish….
If we can go to the fishing only for fishing not for the fish (to eat).. That will helps a lot..

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 09:55:52 PM »

Iwan was the next lucky angler. His first fish after his arrival in Canada last week turned out to be a female chum salmon. He was so excited while bringing it in at one point and fell on his butt. ;) Luke and Lew assisted him with the landing and unhooking before I snapped a photo of the fish and its happy catcher. It maybe a chum salmon, but this was very exciting for him as he only gets to fish for pacific salmon once per year.

A lucky angler indeed. Yesterday after some searching, Iwan finally landed his first ever coho salmon. To make it even sweeter, it was easily over 10lb.

The weapon used was the same spoon that has produced all season.