Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Gone, October 22, A Mini Journal  (Read 7418 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Vedder Gone, October 22, A Mini Journal
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:21:15 PM »

A warm wet soggy welcome to all to The Journal on Fishing With Rod your top fishing web site in the Northwest for fishing information, videos and tall tales.

I got an early start this morning with great expectations of some good coho salmon action but the heavy rain overnight caused me some concern as I hopped into the Leaf Mobile it was still raining.

A coffee at the long table saw another of the regulars geared up too. The usual story telling takes place there but lots of fishing experience there from some of the retired anglers. I know they are deeply saddened by the way so many take their fish these days, at places like Tamahi Rapids, The Limits Hole and the Cement Slabs. At T.R.'s people take their 4 coho daily there while those that float fish roe or throw spoons or blades have a tough time getting a couple, in most cases.

I am glad 4 of us met with the Minister on Friday to try and correct this but unless a lot of people get more involved it will be difficult, no use trying to fool myself as there is a lot of people that you would think would no better think things are fine. Shame on them I say.

Then I went to my chosen spot but one look said forget, not that great, so headed up river to change a couple of garbage bags. I noticed by the Washout, above the slides it looked fishable so tried for about 15 minutes but I hate fishing that high up. I donot know why but I think it was instilled in me by the The Master many years ago. Of course there is nothing wrong fishing there, I guess we do not like fishing areas with a steep gradient.

I stop at the L. H. and change the bag and cleanup up some. People fishing just with a weight, no float. Saw one large female chinook laying on the bank as well saw other fish on but what happens in many cases when a fish is hooked in parts of the body they can not be controlled and break off often or the hooks pulls out.

Stopped for a gab session at the hatchery, I believe they have around 7,000 coho salmon in, Buck can update us on that.

As I start my journey downstream I see the water is coloring now, all the way down. I stop at T. R. and a good number of coho are laying along the beach.

I then stop at a few places on the way home and find a dozen floats but no DNE or Drennans.

Also spot that one of my hunting fields has a good number of ducks in it, time to go webfoot hunting and wait for the water to clear, it may take a day or two with warmer weather on the way they say.

Time to hit a badminton bird now before taking the scattergun out into the field, for the evening flight.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:12:37 PM by chris gadsden »

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Gone, October 22, A Mini Journal
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 12:37:31 PM »

have you been out for ducks yet this season chris? the november rain and winds are coming i can feel it ;D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »

Only 1 trip.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »

I just got a call from The Master and he has taken the day off with his client who have been fly fishing the Harrison for coho salmon the last few days. Weather conditions especially the wind have made thinks miserable he reports.

He thinks the coho salmon may be late into that system as well as the Chehalis. :-\

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 02:02:41 PM »

How did Mats Sundin make out ? I hear he's a great golfer (lots of practice) but is he a fisherman ? ;D

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 03:22:55 PM »

when i get a female chinook the body was teared and i could saw the meat of the chinook although it was pretty fresh. man snaggers...
hardware == fish

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 03:50:36 PM »

How did Mats Sundin make out ? I hear he's a great golfer (lots of practice) but is he a fisherman ? ;D
He had a lovely trip  ;D and now repfreshed for a number of wins and the scoring title. ;D ;D ;D

Please donot hijack the threads. ;D

fishyfish

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 08:00:28 PM »

At T.R.'s people take their 4 coho daily there while those that float fish roe or throw spoons or blades have a tough time getting a couple, in most cases.

Although it isn't entirely comparing apples to apples because of the difference in ethics. It  does remind me of a time about 30 years ago when we use to mooch with live bait and strip. We looked down on the trollers with their engines always going and the gas burning in their face. We used twelve pound leader and two ounces of weight. They used twenty and thirty pound test and six to eight ounce weight. We held on to our righteous ways as long as we could but as time when on and it seemed there was fewer fish to be caught we too switched to trolling because we wanted to catch fish. For what is worth I am not advocating we all switch to bottom bouncing and long leaders. I am not ready yet. I cannot help to wonder if it is the new way. Maybe more productive as you allude to. Sometimes life has to go on in new ways despite our disapproval. If we moochers had of had trolling banned because we didnt agree with it would it have been right? There probably would be a hell of a lot more fish out there and we would still be out there anchored at the hole in wall but I dont know if it would be right. Holding back new ways of doing things. By all means not advocating for anybody or anything just playing the devils advocate and providing food for thought.   

fishyfish

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:00:50 PM »

At T.R.'s people take their 4 coho daily there while those that float fish roe or throw spoons or blades have a tough time getting a couple, in most cases.

Although it isn't entirely comparing apples to apples because of the difference in ethics. It  does remind me of a time about 30 years ago when we use to mooch with live bait and strip. We looked down on the trollers with their engines always going and the gas burning in their face. We used twelve pound leader and two ounces of weight. They used twenty and thirty pound test and six to eight ounce weight. We held on to our righteous ways as long as we could but as time when on and it seemed there was fewer fish to be caught we too switched to trolling because we wanted to catch fish. For what is worth I am not advocating we all switch to bottom bouncing and long leaders. I am not ready yet. I cannot help to wonder if it is the new way. Maybe more productive as you allude to. Sometimes life has to go on in new ways despite our disapproval. If we moochers had of had trolling banned because we didnt agree with it would it have been right? There probably would be a hell of a lot more fish out there and we would still be out there anchored at the hole in wall but I dont know if it would be right. Holding back new ways of doing things. By all means not advocating for anybody or anything just playing the devils advocate and providing food for thought.   

fishyfish

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »

At T.R.'s people take their 4 coho daily there while those that float fish roe or throw spoons or blades have a tough time getting a couple, in most cases.[/color][/color][/color]Although it isn't entirely comparing apples to apples because of the difference in ethics. It  does remind me of a time about 30 years ago when we use to mooch with live bait and strip. We looked down on the trollers with their engines always going and the gas burning in their face. We used twelve pound leader and two ounces of weight. They used twenty and thirty pound test and six to eight ounce weight. We held on to our righteous ways as long as we could but as time when on and it seemed there was fewer fish to be caught we too switched to trolling because we wanted to catch fish. For what is worth I am not advocating we all switch to bottom bouncing and long leaders. I am not ready yet. I cannot help to wonder if it is the new way. Maybe more productive as you allude to. Sometimes life has to go on in new ways despite our disapproval. If we moochers had of had trolling banned because we didnt agree with it would it have been right? There probably would be a hell of a lot more fish out there and we would still be out there anchored at the hole in wall but I dont know if it would be right. Holding back new ways of doing things. By all means not advocating for anybody or anything just playing the devils advocate and providing food for thought.   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:08:51 PM by fishyfish »

fishyfish

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »

"At T.R.'s people take their 4 coho daily there while those that float fish roe or throw spoons or blades have a tough time getting a couple, in most cases."

Athough it isn't entirely comparing apples to apples because of the difference in ethics (ie. foulhooking). It  does remind me of a time about 30 years ago when we use to mooch with live bait and strip. We looked down on the trollers with their engines always going and the gas burning in their face. We used twelve pound leader and two ounces of weight. They used twenty and thirty pound test and six to eight ounce weight. We held on to our righteous ways as long as we could but as time when on and it seemed there was fewer fish to be caught we too switched to trolling because we wanted to catch fish. For what is worth I am not advocating we all switch to bottom bouncing and long leaders. I am not ready yet. I cannot help to wonder if it is the new way. Maybe more productive as you allude to. Sometimes life has to go on in new ways despite our disapproval. If we moochers had of had trolling banned because we didnt agree with it would it have been right? There probably would be a hell of a lot more fish out there and we would still be out there anchored at the hole in wall but I dont know if it would be right. Holding back new ways of doing things. By all means not advocating for anybody or anything just playing the devils advocate and providing food for thought.   

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:13:31 PM by fishyfish »

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 08:23:56 PM »

That is some rank food for thought fishy fish...

I'd rather die than accept that as the norm...
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »

Not only that but the sportsfishermen are not the major reason for declining stocks. We all know what it is from and its not the sportsfishermen.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 09:02:48 PM »

I would find accepting flossing as a norm on the vedder to be rather dangerous.  I compare this to speed limits on our roads.  Most people feel that some highways could handle a higher speed.  True enough but if we raised the limit by 10 kms then speeders would push the envelope and go that much faster.  Same can be said for flossing.  If flossing on the vedder is deemed to be acceptable then more may push the envelope and go with all out snagging.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:08:50 PM by doug »

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 09:15:20 PM »

With the exception of most sockeye, generally speaking, all species of anadromous fish that enter freshwater will take a presented fly, gob of roe or lure on their own accord.  While I don't want to hijack Chris' thread anymore, I'll just have to keep it short  ;D.  The fish don't really get enough credit considering what they have gone through and what obstacles they have beaten to make it back to their natal stream.  If one doesn't want to take the time to bite, surely that should be respected and they should be given that chance to reproduce as others certainly will bite.  Move places, even a few metres down or upstream and you might find a willing combatant.