Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey set-up question  (Read 4391 times)

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
Spey set-up question
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »

I have a question about Rio Skagit line and what to type to purchase for a Sage 8139-4 VT2. It "looks" like I'll need the Rio Skagit line (without tips as I have been told I can use the tips from my 8 wt single hand set-up) 550 grain. Also, I have heard varying opinions about the necessity of the 5 foot cheater. Does this sound like a good match? Regarding the 5 foot cheater, required or not? Thanks !

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
Re: Spey set-up question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »

Not sure if you've already found the section on their site, but what I would do is try without the cheater, you can always add it later, some shops will sell cheater individually.

http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/file/2007%20Spey%20line%20recs.pdf

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 11:36:53 AM »

Thanks Jamison, I will have a look.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 05:12:11 PM »

You don't "need" a rio skagit line, they are just easier for beginners to cast. I was told by numerous guys to get something in the windcutter length, (55 foot head) and learn the proper fundamentals of casting first before getting a skagit, which I did. The skagit is easier to cast and will let you get away with more mistakes..but as you get better you will be a running line stripping monkey and that is not fun...(see cut and calllous's on my fingers)
My advice is listen to what these guys say...Yes it's a bit more frustrating in the beginning but enjoy the journey, it will make you a better spey fisherman and it's a helluva lot more fun NOT stripping in a ton of line and just bringing in a little and ripping it back out...
P.S. If it says you need a cheater, get the cheater, otherwise you'll be pulling your anchor out of the water too soon and hooking yourself and tossing ugly loops.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »

If you need help with the casting I believe Hatch Matcher's is putting on a spey casting clinic coming up soon. Give Randy a call.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:33:52 PM »

Thanks to all. I ended up with the Rio set-up and a Scientific Angler set up which I can use later after I improve a bit. I was out with Dana Sturn from http://www.speypages.com/ last weekend and learned a lot.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 10:08:50 PM »

Thanks to all. I ended up with the Rio set-up and a Scientific Angler set up which I can use later after I improve a bit. I was out with Dana Sturn from http://www.speypages.com/ last weekend and learned a lot.

good choice on all, especially working with a qualified instructor like Dana, will speed up your learning curve immensely