Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a small outfit 5-6wt  (Read 5197 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
Looking for a small outfit 5-6wt
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:22:22 PM »

Hey I was thinking of getting a small set up for the Skagit as my 8wt often overpowers the smaller sized rainbows. Well currently after some research the 2 rods i was planning on getting was the Gloomis crosscurrent GLX 5 wt or the sage z axis 590 5 wt. I also noticed that sage came out with a new model, the zxl but haven't heard anything about that yet.

The reels i was looking at was the Ross Evolution or the Abel Super 5. I know the prices of the 2 are quite different but I wasn't exactly sure how they compare as I have heard a lot of good things about the Ross Evolution. Another reel that i heard about was the Galvan Torque in comparison with the Ross Evolution due to its similar lightweight and durability.

I just wanted to see what the pros out there think before I make a solid choice. Thanks

Bone

Re: Looking for a small outfit 5-6wt
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:16:56 PM »

I would look into the sage Launch or FLi if you are looking for a 5wt rod, depending on if you like a fast or medium action rod. The new ZXL has replaced the SLT which is a medium action rod. I have the SLT and it is a great rod for chronie fishing and nymph fishing. My second choice would be a echo rod. same life time warranty as sage rods, at a reduce price. all echo rods come in 4pc, with sock and tube.

bone.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:54:13 PM »

I was just wondering how come the Fli or Launch for a 5wt? Currently i'm using a zaxis 8wt and it casts really good lol just not sure if i want another z axis or trying something with a medium action like the zxl. I know the Gloomis GLX and z axis are very similar.

Yeah i know echo rods are great lol I have one on an 8wt as a back up for my z axis. Amazing value!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 07:55:52 PM by Ed »

Bone

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »

Well, for the money the FLi and launch are great for the money. I would rather spend the money on a good quality multi tip line. Might be ideal if money is not an issue to look into the SLT as it is discontinued. but i would try the rod first to see if it suits your casting style.  If you are casting agaist the wind and looking for distance then i would stick to the faster action rods.

bone.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:18:15 AM »

I have an older 6w sage that is in great condition.  Feel free to email me if you are interested.

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 07:08:25 PM »

for the skagit a 4 weight would be best because the fish rarely exceed 14 inches and a 4 weight is alot of fun and even for lakes
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 07:08:36 PM »

Not trying to hijack this thread, but is a Redington "Crosswater" outfit a decent starter?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 09:05:18 PM »

Not trying to hijack this thread, but is a Redington "Crosswater" outfit a decent starter?

Yes for sure

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 04:45:03 PM »

Good to know.  I just ordered one.

For 90% of my gear I buy locally.

But for $100 for the oufit WITH line, it was hard to resist ordering from one the american "big box" retailers.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 07:05:29 PM »

Cross Current is a great rod, i got the same series in a 10wt for saltwater.  But as for trout or smaller size salmon, the Loomis Stream Dance GLX is a better rod i think... fast action, lots of back bone and yet they are light on hands.  As for reel, If you gonna spend that much on a Able might as well get yourself a Tibor light.  Great reel to fish with, light and stylish..  Don't get me wrong, Able is a great reel too, but they are bit too heavy for my style.. Anyway, good luck with your setup and good luck fishing....

PS:  Redington- Crosswater is a decent product for the money.. But Its a different class when it compared to loomis or Sage or Able or Tibor...     

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 09:53:34 PM »

Yeah, well thats what I expect for a hundred bux for a rod, reel and line.