Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod Building??  (Read 8456 times)

bravo252

Rod Building??
« on: October 15, 2007, 03:12:13 PM »

I am thinking about it for this coming winter!! ;D

13 feet Lamiglass blank,slip ring reel guide cork handle, and 11 or 12 small hole guide for C-pin reel.

So~ How much do you guy think that I need to spend except for the blank??

Please share the ideas!!

Bravo~

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: Rod Building??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:40:45 PM »

It depends on what you want for components.  Reel seat can be $50-$60, butt box, wrap, glue, etc etc.  I've got a build going on now and the guides are titanium with nanolite inserts.  They start at $5.50 each and go up in price depending on size.  And, the usual rules apply.  The more bling, the more $$$. 
President Club S. C. & P.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:35:53 PM »

Why do you want a slider?  I was recommended against them by 2 local rod builders!  Shaping your cork is very finicky with a sliding reel seat and has to be done in 2 stages unless you want a tapered front grip (i personally dont like those).  High end reel seats may be $50+ but nice woven graphite seats are available for a fraction of that.  Cork (last I checked) was about 1.25 per half inch!!!  so cork and guides can really set you back.  I put harloy guides on my last 3 rods and I am happy with them.  If you pound the fraser every chance you get and you run braid then higher end guides may be a plus otherwise they are just extra cash.  As well, if you will only ever fish the rod as a CP then you can cut down the amount of guides on the rod...just space them out so you get a nice even bend when you load the rod up.  This will cut cost and weight.

I like my rods to look nice and be functional...I wont how ever spend $100 on a guide set!

I have some good contacts for cork and guides if retail costs are too great...drop me an email if you are interested.

PS - I have built over 10 rods so I wouldbe happy to answer any other general questions you have.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 08:50:15 PM »

Hey Gooey can you recommend any books to read up on about road building?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »

Unfortunately, I dont have any reading resources to recommend, I kinda self taught...first rod was a 3113 (yikes) but frankly, if you take your time, there is nothing tricky to rod building. 

AlK

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:16:33 PM »

dead head,

Check the internet there is a lot of good information on rod building.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 11:28:43 AM »

besides the vast info availlable on the internet, there's a few good books out there.... one is by ___ garcia... berry's used to have it. I echo the comments above about sliding seats. I've built well over a hundred rods and countless repairs/warranty builds. One thing i've noticed... I've had guys bring me thier sliding seat built rods..... they were sure they wanted.... only to have me strip the handle and rebuild to a fixed seat.... an expensive rebuild.

with guides, you have to ask yourself what lines you will use. If you plan to use any braided line types (fireline, tuffline, spider wire ect) you will want to look at the expensive high wear guides. Standard mono lines do not require the high wear guides but lot's of guys use them for thier durability and thier attractive finish...
take the time to decide what you really want and go for it. Rod building is not that difficult of task but mistakes or rushing the job will leave you with a rod you may not be happy with.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 11:47:26 PM »

is there any one that wants to build one, and what is the price range?
Fish killer 101

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 01:50:39 AM »

younggun... if you still have my email... let me know what you need built.... but i'm not posting a build quote :D
I'll be done MERC's rod in a day or two.... may have some time before i leave for mooses

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 09:09:57 AM »

sending a line your way.
Fish killer 101