Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod builders pleas help  (Read 8735 times)

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
Rod builders pleas help
« on: December 21, 2007, 09:44:49 PM »

Just wondering if any of the rod builder types on this board can help me out with wear to get materials locally in the lower mainland? I Know there is stryker in Surrey. Is there any other good places to get decent blanks? Wear do you get your raw cork pieces from (i'll lathe my own)... All of the info on the net that i can find is all US and mail order...
I try to stay away from mail order as much as possible ;D

Also I never realy intro'd myself, My name is Dan and I have been on the forum a few times over the past few years but I forgot my logon name and pasword more than once Doh! 

Anyways I will appreciate any help provided! Thanks

tnt

Re: Rod builders pleas help
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:12:49 PM »

the guys at reaction fly and tackle have a good selection of building materials and blanks.... Toll Free 1888 339 2277
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:14:39 PM by tnt »
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 11:40:07 PM »

Berry's bait and tackle got a wide selection of rod building supplies. give me a call, i'll answer your question... 604-273-5901.... 

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 01:20:29 AM »

2nd on berry's... Len has good connections for components, and the store has a decent selection of essentials from blanks to threads and all

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »

thanks guys

On a second note, Does anyone Know if the Lamiglass on the #10 Langley Bypass is the same Lamiglass that makes rods and blanks?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:53:57 PM by BigCoho »

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »

The one on Langley is a glass shop...

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 12:05:34 AM »

Berry's bait and tackle got a wide selection of rod building supplies. give me a call, i'll answer your question... 604-273-5901.... 

thanks, I'll come down and have a look

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »

I have built nurmerous rods now.  One thing i can tell you is that buying any blank online can be very tricky.  I have one good and 2 bad experiences buying what are probably "seconds".  One broke on the first trip and the other was 2 different rods and so it was a pain in the butt getting that sorted.  So #1 make sure you are getting a quality blank (online or retail).  #2 there are lots of online stores where you will save a ton on components.  There is one cork wholesalers in particular that can save you 50% on cork.  I bought 6-7 rods worth, I am not sure if he would do it for a single rod.  And ther is a guy on the island that seemed to have the best price on components and I have used him 2 or 3 times with great results...feel free to email me thru the link here and I can give you more specific info if you require it.

As well, I have maybe $200-$300 invested in equipment to build rods.  Don't know if you have a wrapping station or rod turner already (expensive to get for one rod), if you need some equipment on a rental/borrow basis, send me an email.

Good luck, there is something a little extra special about landing a fish on a rod you built yourself so I can tell you you are in for a great experience.  Just take your time, don't rush and you will have a beautiful end product I am sure.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 05:40:17 PM »

Thanks Gooey, I just bought a lathe and I'm thinking of making a dryer out of a bbq rotisserie but I'll probably hand turn 1 first to see how that goes... I havent made a wrapping station yet but I have one in mind so I should be go to go as far as equipment goes. I'm thinking of making a drift rod from a 12' 6 rainshadow spey blank for my first rod. I'm a Carpenter by trade so I think I can pick it up without too much difficulty

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 07:40:10 PM »

trust me..... don't bother with hand turning.... a rotiserie motor is perfect..... it's all i use and depending on temperature and epoxy used, the blank has to spin for 6 to 8 hours and left un touched for 20 to 24. My entire setup is home crafted, from bbq motor epoxy drying racks to cork clamps to cork lathe.