Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What size is your dink float?  (Read 5616 times)

flatlander

What size is your dink float?
« on: September 29, 2007, 09:54:57 AM »

I'm wondering what size dink float everyone is using on the Vedder?  I've got some 3" x 3/4" dink floats and some larger 4" x 3/4" easy drifter foam floats (recommends 1/2 ounce weight for these).

What's the common way of rigging dink's.  I've heard that there may be a way to just wrap the mainline around the float?  I thread my line down the center.  What's everyone using for a float stop?  Toothpick or bobber stop.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 10:14:35 AM by flatlander »

hotrod

Re: What size is your dink float?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »

Mine's a 9 "   8) 8) 8)

Hotrod

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:55:11 AM »

Wow this is a loaded question  ;D ;D . I no longer use my dink floats  ;D .

I use mainly drennan or DNE. I use DNE float stops with both.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Arnie Salmonegger

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 12:26:22 PM »

Flatlander, if you're using the foam dink floats buy the kind with the high density foam instead of the low density ones.  The high density foam has smooth sides but the low density foam looks like it has bubbles in it.  The high density feels harder than the low density when you squeeze them.  The high density foam lasts a lot longer when you wrap your line around it, as the line doesn't cut into it when you snag up or fight a large fish.  It also seems to slide less up & down your line than the low density foam.
When buying your floats get the kind that have the plastic straws at each end pointing at an angle out of the sides (usually about 1" from each end) instead of the straw going through the middle.  When putting the float on your mainline, put it through the top straw, then once around your float, then through the bottom straw.  Once you have the float positioned where you want it (and after adjusting for water depth), give the mainline above and below the float a bit of a tug; this helps the float from sliding up and down by snugging the mainline against the body of the float.
With high density foam and the tug, I find I don't usually need any stopper.  But just in case, I keep some toothpicks in my vest.  Sometimes a well used float starts to slide.  You just need a toothpick in the top straw.  Break off the toothpick about 1/4" above the straw so that you can pull it out when you have to move your float.
Size of float depends on water conditions & depth, how much weight you're using, and the fish you're targeting.  The size I usually use is the 3/4"x5.5".  I never use the 1" diameter floats.  In slower or clearer water I'll use the 5/8"x4" size.  When fishing for pinks in the upper Fraser I use a size of about 1/4"x4" because my weight's only 1/4 ounce and the fish are in shallow water.
I hope this helps you.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:29:07 PM by Arnie Salmonegger »

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 01:19:22 PM »

right now i'm using a #3 drennan or a 3 inch gibbs float. My balsa's are to big.  8)
Fish killer 101

flatlander

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »

Thanks everyone for the good info!