Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River September 28th, 2007: Chris the Guide  (Read 1487 times)

Lew Chater

Chilliwack River September 28th, 2007: Chris the Guide
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:39:40 PM »

Haven't posted for awhile but after Chris and I did some more preperation for the Rivers Day Cleanup on Sunday we decided after coffee to wet a line. We usually have pretty good luck when we fish together and have proven this quite a few times over the years. Chris also said I had to do the report this time so it will be short and sweet. Fished some of the same water that we fished with Rodney on Tuesday.
Water conditions up some with the rain and the water had some colour to it, just the way we like it. We were hoping for Coho and with good bait managed to hook and land 3 coho, one wild and a hatchery for Chris and a nice hatchery for me.
Heavy rains expected unfortunately for part of Sat. and most of Sunday, not good for the river or our Cleanup, but we have a good day planned for food , entertainment, displays and prizes. Hope to see some of you there.
 Rodney might post a picture of one lucky guy with a nice fish. Still is a thrill to beach a nice fish with good partners even after 63 years on the river.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:20:04 AM by Rodney »
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: Chris the Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »

great report i will be coming on Sunday hopefully !
hardware == fish

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chris the Guide
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:39:05 PM »

My day started with great expectations as I headed to The Hydro Bridge area just as daylight was breaking. I thought the heavy rain from last night would colour things up and I was right but visibility was still good. It was up about 5 inches I thought. I was surprised the run we had been fishing was not crowded so I slipped into a open spot. I donot know what it was but I just did not like it as much as it was before as the jump in water had made the area larger, more places for the fish that would be moving through.

After about 10 minutes I decided to move on to The Bell run. On the way out I saw one angler with a coho jack on the beach and that was all I had seen in my brief stopover.

The Bell was vacant so I quickly slipped over to it and right away I am missing fish and losing some too. Gord, a chap I know comes along and stops for a chat, while we talk I miss another. He of course throws in  ;D and in no time has a chinook jack to the shore that he releases. A few minute later he is into another fish, a hatchery coho. While I am watching him play it I am on a drift and a fish nearly yanks the rod out of my hand,not looking at the Maple Leaf Thompson River Balsa float, it boils to the top and is gone. ??? I have missed or lost 6 in a row now. :'( ???

Gord is happy with his coho, his first in two years. I know a number of have suffered the same the last two years but this year things look a lot better.

Another fellow has joined us and is long lining and even moves to where pinks are spawning in the shallows to try and get one. ::)

My phone rings and I deal with a BC Rivers' Day situation.
I then have to go back to the Leaf Mobile and do a Star FM radio interview for tomorrow's morning show, talking about the CVRCC Rivers' Day event. Of course when ones does this, you are or I am anyway a little nervous but once you get into it it is not so bad. I think it went OK and will air tomorrow between 7 and 9 am.

I go back to The Bell and miss another, #7 of the morning. See Ed from the forum there too. ;D The bite dies off so I phone Lew to see if he wants to come out, he does so we meet for coffee at 10 first.

After our coffee break we go to a run to check out but find nothing although an angler gets a chinook jack, he did not know what he had and was going to release it. I said it was ok to retain it if he wished, he then did, knowing it was legal.

Back we go to The Bell, Ed is still there. Lew gets to the run before me as I get some roe ready. As I get to the run Lew has just missed one, It is not long until I connect, finally one to the beach, a small hatchery doe. ;D
Cell phone rings again, it is Yu from this forum, he is touring the river and wants to come for a visit, I tell him the location. ;D

A few minutes later Yu is on the scene, I lay my rod down and tell Lew "get one while I visit Yu."
I take one step, Lew's pole bends with a fish on. ;D ;D Talk about calling it ;D

I wait until Lew lands a nice hatchery fish, snap a picture and then head to visit Yu.

I then get back to fishing and Lew has just lost another, the run is on. On my first cast I am into one and land a small wild coho, my 5th of the young season, three clipped and two not.

We decide to call it a day at 1:30 more than pleased with what we had caught and I was happy to improve from such a poor start to the day. I do not usually fish weekends but with rain on the way in the forcast that will certainly blow out the Vedder, maybe I better give it a try tomorrow.

Anyway I got that coho fever, have you?