Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River September 27th, 2007: Skywalker strikes back!  (Read 2747 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River September 27th, 2007: Skywalker strikes back!
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:00:58 PM »

After Tuesday brief success and today's forecasted rain, I decided to make another go on the Chilliwack River this week to test my luck. Coho season always means lack of sleep. Once all tasks were taken care of by 1:30am, it was off to a short sleep before waking up at 4:30am. :-\

Today I brought Luke along with me. Since some fantastic coho days a few years ago, Luke has not been fishing much. It didn't take much effort to convince him to come along after showing him some of the photos from Tuesday. ;)

We arrived at our spot at 6:30am, there was almost enough light to fish. I phoned Chris, who apparently was enjoying his muffin once again. "Isn't it first light already?", I asked.

Luke brought out his chum roe from two years ago, which was the only bait he had. I took a look at it, the colour and texture looked great. I sniffed it and quickly backed away. :-X "You're going to catch fish with that? There is plenty of roe in my box if needed.", I said. ;D

6:40am, we waded out into the water. A big piece of juicy pink salmon roe was sent out and a quick float dive on the second cast resulted in the first hook-up of the day! A spring jack it seemed, as it dove and held its ground. A minute went by, it slowly swam upstream toward me. The silver body surfaced and the sudden dreadful pop woke me up. ::)

Chris arrived minutes later. "If you were here at first light, you could have been tailing my fish.", I joked. ;)

A big splash made up look upstream. Luke was now into a fish, with two year old chum roe! :o It seemed like he has not lost his touch after two off-seasons. A chrome jack spring was landed minutes later. Luke then spent a good five minute bonking and bleeding his fish. "Hurry up! The bite is on!", we urged him. He then started building a weir for his fish, but there was no current in the shallows! :o Chris and I had a good chuckle, while no floats were buried.

Finally, Luke casually made his way back in the water. A few minutes later, he was once again into another fish! :o Once again, he brought it in quickly. Another jack spring it was, but slightly more coloured so he let it go.

I then hooked another one, which once again dove in front of me before popping off. ::) A few more jack springs around us were hooked, a few coho salmon were also landed. Luke hooked and lost one more fish before we decided to move on as the crowd was now getting too intimate for my liking. :-\

Enjoying breakfast while we fished.

We decided to give the spot where we pulled out three coho on Tuesday a try, but it was not producing this morning. With the fishing slowing down, I pulled out the video camera and worked on the underwater footages of pink salmon spawning ground.

Nature documentary filmmaker at work. ;D

After our traditional visit to Cookies Grill (thanks for breakfast Chris ;) ), Luke and I decided to head to mid river. We arrived at one of our usual haunts and were delighted to find the entire run void of anglers. The run has changed since last year, but a new slot appeared to be holding plenty of fish. A few very chrome large coho salmon leaped at times, which motivated us. We missed a few quick takes, which we thought were underwater branches. Unsure, I let the float sank some more before setting the hook at one point, which turned out to be another jack spring. When I landed and released the coloured fish, Luke managed to connect with one as well. His fish was much nicer, so he decided to keep his second fish of the day. My second jack spring came soon after, the bite seemed to be on.

After missing more hits and still seeing coho salmon leaping, I switched to one of my spoons and covered the entire slot from top to bottom. The systematic tactic paid off, as a large bright coho salmon grabbed it hard. I set the hook, the silver bullet exploded on the surface. "COHO!", I yelled to gain Luke's attention. The fish proceeded to skip across the run at lightning speed. The typical tail dance made me nervous as fish could be lost so easy under such circumstances. I carefully walked backward and kept the line tight while Luke awaited at shore. This fish was now very close to us, it looked to be over 10lb. A quick glance while it surfaced confirmed that it was a wild fish. I wanted a photo with it at least. It darted out as its belly rubbed shallow rocks. I took my time, brought it closer again. Just when it was about to reach my hands, the dreadful pop took place once again. I screamed, Luke laughed, the fish sat still in the shallow for a few seconds before swimming away slowly. ::)

With the rain coming down hard, we decided to give the run a rest and explore some rapids before ending the trip. What a bad idea that was. We were already tired. I walked, Luke followed. I walked some more, Luke didn't stop me. By the time I walked past three runs, we were now 1km away from our starting point. ::) To top it off, we found no good spots. We decided to hike and called it a day at 5:00pm. That's fishing for you. ;) We were completely exhausted by the time we reached our car, but excited that we found some good fish today. ;)

Today's result
Luke hooked four jack springs, landed three.
I hooked four jack springs, landed two, hooked one coho, landed zero. :'(
Chris? He was not so lucky this morning, but got his coho fix tonight. ;D

Water clarity excellent, water level remained the same while rain fell. Good luck to all who are going this weekend.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River September 27th, 2007: Skywalker strikes back!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:52:10 PM »

Nice fish  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:54:09 PM »

Nice fish  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oooh! No more fishing tips for you! :o ;D

Yofishon

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:27:47 AM »

Great report !!
Leave the area as clean , or cleaner than you found it !

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:31:34 AM »

nice fish great report.
Fish killer 101

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 06:23:03 AM »

The stars are shinning now, no rain so will make this a very short report as more coho are waiting to take down the Maple Leaf Thompson River Balsa Wood Float. ;D Must write it in 5 minutes but the hunt and peck method on the key board is sure slow. :-[

After being out fished once again, this time by Luke and taking more criticism about my roe from Rodney, I donot know why I did buy breakfast but the fellowship around the table at Cookies is always one of the highlights of any trip, with a fish to boast about or not.

I did have three chances during the morning bite when a fish grabbed my offering as I reeled in, not once but twice but it did not hook itself. ??? I also was too slow on the take on the 2 other take downs that happen in the fairly slow water we are working.
With Luke beaching the only two fish we decided to move on, The Swisher was happy to take our hotspot ;D.
Luke and Rodney moved to The Bell Run and I stuck around to cleanup the beach and see if the bite came on again which it did, I pulled the rod back out and slipped in above The Swisher and below Green Vest but nothing happened for me as the bite fell off so I joined Rodney and Luke at The Bell run.

Rodney has been blanked there and pulls out his video camera in the water proof case to try and get some underwater shots. I hoped I could hook a fish so we could get some footage of that but it did not happen , off to Cookies we went.

Talking about moving, my 5 minutes it is up actually 10, got to head for the 5 minute drive to the river, report will continue later. ;D ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 09:29:10 AM »

I was out first light until 10:30. Both me and The Trout Slayer bonked a hatchery coho and jack spring each. While landing a few other jack springs and a pink each.
My Coho came early in the morning (before official sunrise), drifting some Berry's Procured Roe. Aaron's fish came at about 9ish while reeling in his float and bait setup.

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:37:07 AM »

Nice report Rod :D

Hollis

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 11:26:14 AM »

Excellent report Rod.
You caused me to take all next week off to fish. Thanks for that. I will post some pictures,. Now theres some positive thinking.
The Fish Wisperer

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 11:29:16 AM »

Thanks all!

Also just a reminder that this Sunday (30th) is BC Rivers Day and there is an event organized by Chris and others at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club House. If you are unable to attend the organized cleanup but are fishing, please help us by picking up the garbage around you. There will also be a BBQ lunch around noon as well as entertainment and information sessions where you can learn more about Fisheries and OCeans Canada etc so come on by!

More information can be found at:

http://www.cleanrivers.ca

Yopesco

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 11:47:15 AM »

Was there yesterday too, upper river. Hooked a couple of pinks, landed one, surprisingly feisty, also lost one coho that I had on for about a minute before it spitted the hook right on my face. I was using chum roe cured one year ago. All my action happened between 8-10, nothing after that. Good day on the river though, I was very surprised to see how much it has changed from last year.

Yopesco

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 06:27:03 PM »

Now after playing around the river and getting things cleaned up for BC Rivers Day I only have 5 more minutes to wrap yesterday's events.

Lew will have to write today's report as I do not have the time as off to the show with my wife in 10 minutes. I most cleanup as I still smell fishy. ;D ;D

After Rodney and Luke head up river I do a few chores and then back to the river about an hour before dark, the rain is pouring down so not many anglers left.

It was not long until I miss a take, with a fresh bait on, in the same spot downtown again, this time contact and after a good fight a large chinook jack, 61 cm is beached.

Another person lands a coho, looked foul hooked to me but bonk. ::)

A few minutes later with only a small bit of bait on a nice hatchery coho around 6 pounds is showing its silver sides to me twisting and turning, trying to toss the hook. Shortly I am sliding my 3rd coho of the season onto the beach. take the two fish back to the Leaf Mobile as I need more bait When I return another angler has landed a coho a few pounds larger than mine.

No more action as darkness closes out another enjoyable day on the flow a day with good friends some action as well, fish to take home to enjoy one can not ask for much more.

O Rodney, my bait was not that bad after all.  ;D ;D

A good weekend to all on your fishing trips, remember to respect the environment and the fish as well.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »

Thanks for the reports.
Heres a picture of the 2 coho from yesterday.
I'll be out all weekend, should be good fishing.