Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bellingham Fishing Stores?  (Read 14334 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Bellingham Fishing Stores?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 09:40:49 AM »

Although saving a few bucks is great, just remember that ever dollar spent there will directly affect our economy here. Also is the inconvience of spending hours in the border line ups worth it. I can find better use of my time like fishing. My wife keeps bugging me about wanting to go shopping in the states and I have flat out refused to take her. I totally believe in supporting our own Canadian economy first. Mind you if I was to make a big purchase(boat, car trailor ect) then maybe just maybe I would consider going down other wise forget it.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 11:51:32 AM »

The retailers have to start adjusting their prices to reflect our dollar hard not to consider going south for the HALF PRICE sale.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 12:13:38 PM »

Something to be said for local shops selling imported items.   ;)

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 08:59:16 PM »

ditto on orvis and kaufmans,good stuff good prices.
re: Canadian retailers,
 should read Canadian importers/middlemen. the retailers have slim margins for profit on the higher quality products given high overheads . personally feel that we benefit in the short term for across border shopping as we can shop and scoot. As pointed out, need medical ?. our high taxes subsidizes our system to a far greater degree than our neighbors down south.
a lot more complicated than just price matching.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:14:21 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 10:52:24 PM »

What about marine dealers down there?

I want to buy a small 6-9.9 outboard and it looks like there will be a 500-750$ savings by shopping down there.

IMHO its about time Canadian Retailers start reflecting our strong dollar in their prices on US bought goods.

I'm think of buying either a 25 2stroke or a 20 4stroke for the 14' inflatable I just purchased.  Do you know if the warranty would still be honoured here and how duty is charged?

Jimmy

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 07:58:06 AM »

Good to support your local shop but when you can buy the stuff at 50% of the cost you have to do what you need to do.Penn sturgeon combo $189.95 and in the states $94.95. That is money I can either spend on more gear or buy a few bags of groceries  :-\  It isn't the shops that are keeping the prices up it is their suppliers not adjusting for the change in the dollar.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 07:09:40 PM »

RLN do you have an excuse for us regarding the gouging?

JL

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 07:36:43 PM »

Agreed with Jimmy. The suppliers are importing goods at a cheaper price due to the strength of the canadian dollar while charging retailers the same price therefore earning greater profits.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 07:40:26 PM by JL »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 08:52:58 PM »

yeagers recently has been going down hill.....fast,  lost there licence for guns and that killed them for the rest

Didn't know Yaeger's lost their gun selling licence that used to be most of their business. :o

Haven't been there for about 8 years though since they had no fishing gear left anyway.

There's some fishing gear in Boaters World 3960 Meridian St on the same street as Bellis Fair Mall and not far from Big 5-a place that never impressed me at all.

rickjames_2

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 07:26:19 AM »

i am sorry i might sound a little bitter...but i have tried to buy tackle at numerous fishing stores in bellingham, as well as others and a lot of them wont take Canadian fricking money!!! bunch of insolent hosers...wont matter soon anyways, we are at 99.85 cents u.s. and we will be above them soon anyways, heres to the declining american dollar and the strife it is goin to cause!!! Canadian will be 102.45 us by december 31st...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

island boy

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 08:13:01 AM »

rick james, why would they take our money. you were in their country.
you kill it, you clean it.

rickjames_2

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 08:49:59 AM »

why do we take theirs?? every city you go in canada, we take american money...most stores in bellingham and lynden area take canadian money...its called an exchange rate...lol...when yer less than an hour away from the border i would expect you to frickin take that countries money at whatever your buisness has established it at...usually it is about 5 cents less than what it is... i mean buisnesses in seattle take freakin mexican pesos but some in bellingham dont take canadian dollars...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.