Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insect hatch in skagit river  (Read 2862 times)

Piranha

Insect hatch in skagit river
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:32:05 PM »

What insects are hatching right now in skagit river area? I was there yesterday and seen something that looks like a stone fly and it's all over the rocks. It has a  yellowish colour with feather like hind legs.  On the water i seen several bugs that look like mayflies on steroids. The body was brown with a curved tail pointing up to the sky with 3 bristles at the end. The wings are transparent.
Anybody know the name of this insect?

Also seen this moth that was dive bombing down to the surface of the water and back up into the air over and over. Does anybody know what this insect may be?

Piranha

Re: Insect hatch in skagit river
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 07:33:35 PM »

nobody knows? :(

Chrome Mykiss

Re: Insect hatch in skagit river
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:50:58 PM »

What insects are hatching right now in skagit river area? I was there yesterday and seen something that looks like a stone fly and it's all over the rocks. It has a  yellowish colour with feather like hind legs.

The insects on the rocks, were they shucks (dried up casings of insects that hatched already)? Did they look like the ones in this photo?

If so than what you saw were stoneflies.

The body was brown with a curved tail pointing up to the sky with 3 bristles at the end. The wings are transparent.
Anybody know the name of this insect?

Those sound like brown drakes or mahogany duns.

Also seen this moth that was dive bombing down to the surface of the water and back up into the air over and over. Does anybody know what this insect may be?

Those are caddis, which is what they do when they are dropping their eggs.