Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder slides  (Read 2700 times)

Riverman

• old fart
Vedder slides
« on: September 01, 2007, 08:03:39 AM »

Does anyone  know if any efforts have been made to stop the clay from entering the river now that it is low and the work could proceed?I was sadly disappointed most of last year to see all that grey water.on days when it stopped coming from the ranger run there was still vast amounts coming down slesse creek.I suspect but do not know for sure that logging was contributing to this.I know Rod suggested David Lamson be contacted to see about this.Has anyone got a reply?if so what is happening or we in for another year of crappy water?
Riverman

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder slides
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 09:54:09 AM »

They better do something soon.  I've been saying it for a while that they're shooting themselves in the foot by all the gravel mining and woody debris removal.  Just wait, if nothing's done, you'll see a simplistic, incised river with head-cutting, little spawning areas, no refugia, and destructive flood events. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 12:13:38 PM »

Does anyone  know if any efforts have been made to stop the clay from entering the river now that it is low and the work could proceed?I was sadly disappointed most of last year to see all that grey water.on days when it stopped coming from the ranger run there was still vast amounts coming down slesse creek.I suspect but do not know for sure that logging was contributing to this.I know Rod suggested David Lamson be contacted to see about this.Has anyone got a reply?if so what is happening or we in for another year of crappy water?

Did you email him?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »

Did you email him?
Or better still if you live in the Lower Mainland bentrod and Riverman, volunteer as a CRAC director, help is needed to attain what you are talking about. I have taken a leave of the group after serving for 10 years, new blood is needed and David does just a great job.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 01:32:32 PM »

Get on CRAC, you'll never look back.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »

I would love to help, but I live in Central Washington State.  From my experience, it would be a big mistake to form a huge committee to debate what needs to be done for years and years.  The govt. should immediately put a moratorium in place on all river gravel extraction, then hire a river geo-morphologist and get to work on the slide.  A committee should form then to discuss the future of the river shed and adopt appropriate development regs to implement the plan. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 06:11:48 PM »

You can always sent them a donation. ;D ;D

The other point you made has and is being addressed by a great group of volunteers.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 08:01:38 PM »

I go up there each year and spend at least $300.00 in the local economy.  I have calculated that the group I go with has spent at least $15,000 there in the last 10 years.  I would hope that the local tourist commission will see this money and ask themselves why it is there and how they can keep it coming.  If the rivers go to #$%^, or our vehicles cannot stay safe, this money will not be there in the future, we'll spend it somewhere else.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »

I go up there each year and spend at least $300.00 in the local economy.  I have calculated that the group I go with has spent at least $15,000 there in the last 10 years.  I would hope that the local tourist commission will see this money and ask themselves why it is there and how they can keep it coming.  If the rivers go to #$%^, or our vehicles cannot stay safe, this money will not be there in the future, we'll spend it somewhere else.

Thats great and we welcome our friends from below the border and the money they spend.

However it is very tough to get money from the sources you spend it on, that is why support of some funds directly to CRAC is the best way to get the work you wish to see done.

I say this first hand as after starting the Chilliwack River Action Committee in 1997 many have given so freely of their time at personal costs to get all the work done. If I ever figure out or have the time to put a video on U Tube I will do so as I produced a video about one of the Chilliwack Slides when we first got going.