Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making weights.  (Read 3770 times)

freakonaleash

Making weights.
« on: August 26, 2007, 10:58:52 PM »

So because of a complete lack of skill, I'm losing a lot of triangle weights and would like to make some myself... around 2 ounces or so.

How do i make the molds ?

Where is the cheapest place to get lead ? Scrap metal place ?

Which type of mask should I use, as in which one is overkill for working with lead :P

Any other precautions ? Mask, gloves, face shield + goggles underneath, watch for water etc...

Also, how do you go about heating the lead ? Pouring it ?

Thanks

-Josh

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Making weights.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:27:52 PM »

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 11:37:01 PM »

Well I'm hardly an expert but back in the days when I went through Commercial Diver training, our instructor would custom make our diving weights by the following method:  

-simply weld together a mold in the desired shape out of steel
-heat the mold from underneath with a simple propane plumbers torch (10 bucks or less at Canadian tire)
-drop in some random chucks of lead and wait till they melt
-spoon off the slag that forms on top 2 or 3 times and then turn off your torch ( a steel kitchen spoon that your wife won't miss will work fine)
-when the lead contracts, simply turn the mold over and out falls the shaped lead
-if you want a hole running throught the lead, then add a small vertical rod sticking up out of the middle of the mold when you weld it
-if you want a metal eye sticking out of the lead, just hang one in the lead as it cools by running a piece of metal through the eye that is longer than the edges of the mold itself

He did it all outside in the parking lot, no special breathing equipment required. Gloves and tongs recommended. Only takes a few minutes for the lead to melt. Those torches are meant for melting solder to join copper pipes, so they don't get hot enough to melt the steel mold, but plenty hot enough to turn the lead into a silvery puddle fairly quick. You could get the whole thing set up for less than $25, provided you have a welder or if not go to a machine shop with your steel pieces and ask them to tack a few welds on the joins. Heck, go to your local garage with a case of beer and ask 'em to fire up the torch for you for a minute.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 07:02:04 AM »

I have cast maybe 1500 lbs of lead so far this summer (10,12, and 15lbs cannonballs).  I have jig head molds, Betty molds, slpit shot etc. 

Bottom line is that over the past 5 years I have learned a lot from/about casting lead and really, for a small need like yours I can't see it being worth the time and effort.  I mean, how many weights are you needing?

Scrap lead is available at a number of recycling yard thru out the GVRD.  It is sold for roughly $1.00 a lb (and that buying 400lbs at a time)!!!  last summer I was paying .55c, man I wish I bought a ton!

Anyhow melting a batch of lead with a propane torch is time consuming (I have used a torch before too) and you usually end up standing right over the pot...not the best plan.  I now have an electric bottom pour pot for small stuff (under a lb) and a 60 lb pot that I use for my cannon balls.  That is powered by a 200,000btu torch attached to a 20lb propane tank. 

You may think it would be more economical to pour your own weights, but unless you are going thru a lot of lead and you have lots of time on your hands, then it can be a laborious project to start up. 

If you have any questions feel free to email me.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 07:08:11 AM by Gooey »

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:08:17 AM »

Please make sure you do it in an open space( none of the inisde the garage operations ).

One of my buddy's friend died from lead poisoning within a year of doing it inside his garage.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL.....

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 07:51:10 PM »

I cast in open air and have been tested twice with no noticable lead levels.  I dont use a mask although there is a heavy melat mask available (3M product).  elemental lead is actually very hard to absorb thru the skin so if you watch your air and keep your hands clean (to minimise oral transfer via food etc) then you can cast very safely without concern.

gheart008

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 08:27:45 AM »

Found this guy on Craigslist, selling 4 molds for $25, meets your oz criteria too:

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/for/403264222.html

Might be worth it if you're going to make lots.

gheart008

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 08:30:52 AM »

Here's another one, $400, but comes with tons of molds AND an oven:

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/spo/408464884.html

freakonaleash

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 09:04:39 AM »

gheart, i need to make triangle sinkers

chesapeakebay

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 01:07:42 AM »