Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Friday Sept 28  (Read 3265 times)

gman

Vedder Friday Sept 28
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »

Took a day off for the first time out for me this year today.
Started off doing a bit of exploring, and not finding much water to my likeing. Also discovered my neoprene waders leaked. >:( Luckily I had my breathables along as a backup.

Eventually found an area with some nice runs. Well to make a long story short I landed two coho (both wild) and 2 spring jack (kept one). Also lost 2 coho and 2 jacks and various unidentified fish on and dipping floats. Hooked the spring jacks in the stronger current and the cohos in the slack water off to the side.  Lots of fun. :D Lots of pinks around but none grabbed my procured pink roe. I also didn't see any big springs or chum.

Heres the jack I kept.

No picture of the coho as I was alone and wanted to send them safely on their way.

Had all the weather today, sun, rain, hail....

The river was in better shape than I expected - not as low and clear as I expected.

Not a bad start to the year... :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 07:31:41 PM by gman »

Taboo

Re: Vedder Friday Sept 28
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 08:28:05 PM »

gman, nice catch!!

I, too, was out today.  It was LIVELY!!!!  Landed 1 MASSIVE hatchery Coho, 2 spring jacks (kept one - in the pic)...  Had another spring jack in the palm of my hands when he slipped the hook and darted at my feet!  Also lost several other very shiny fish, one of which was another chrome Coho...  Only 2 pinks on, both LARGE does...  A very good day by any standards!!

Oh, I lost my wedding ring in the river in the morning while dealing with the spring.  It flew off my slimy finger as I shook off my hands.  End over end it went into the Abyss....  I kept looking all day to no avail...I was about to give up hope trying as I was about to leave only to have the skies open and the sun shine into a rock crevice and there it was - 2 feet down...JUST in reach.   :o

Anyways, a few pics...taken at home as I left the camera in the car cuz of the RAIN!!  ...The jack is the SMALL one!!   ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:08:46 PM »

What a beek - not Taboo but the Coho  :D

Nice catch.

Man are you ever lucky about the wedding ring - your wife just wouldn't see the humour in it. Time to get onto that Big Mac and Coke diet to tighten up the ring.

Taboo

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 09:37:40 PM »

What a beek - not Taboo but the Coho  :D

Nice catch.

Man are you ever lucky about the wedding ring - your wife just wouldn't see the humour in it. Time to get onto that Big Mac and Coke diet to tighten up the ring.

You're telling me I am lucky!  I told the story when I got home (since it had a happy ending)..I can tell you I WON'T be wearing my ring on the river tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 11:02:57 PM »

Lost mine about 20 years ago and  Ihave still not found it. ::) After 42 years of marriage I am not sure if she will buy me another. ;D :o

funruh

• feeeesh
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 11:30:29 PM »

Sweet sunshine.  Nice to hear of the happy ending and great catching.

Glad to hear of the successful marriage Chris even after losing the ring.  I lost mine a couple of years ago on a fishing adventure  :-[.  Been married 8 years and I think I am still in the good books.  I must be since I am going fishing tomorrow  ;).

BTW

very nice coho. hopefully I can catch me one of those tomorrow ;D

odesseus

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 08:19:58 AM »

Nice catch guys! I was out on the Vedder as well, but could not seem to keep into any fish. I was using a couple of spoons in the lower vedder; had fish on but they wouldn't keep the hook (biting it very lightly and spitting it after a few runs). What sort of rig and bait do you recommend? Also what sort of hook size is ideal?

Thanks

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »

i've lost 2 cohos and 1 spring and 3 jacks so far cus of that. frustrating! I've had good luck on plain roe.
Fish killer 101

OptimusPrime

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 02:41:53 PM »

Fished 09.29.07 at the vedder.  Nothing but decepticons.

And a jack.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 10:19:27 PM »