Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon August 20  (Read 1491 times)

Zpg

Sturgeon August 20
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:37:24 PM »

Well lack of sturgeon would have been a more accurate title. A little disappointing since my last trip a couple of weeks ago I got 13.

My first plan was to head out for some halibut today but last night there was a small craft warning for the upper strait which I took to mean windy for the lower part so I decided to head out for some Sturgies instead. I fished from 10:30 til 5:30 with basically no luck, aside from a little hammer handle at the end of the day. (Caught on an eel piece)

I fished all my favorite spots and used all the usual baits (oolies roe, eel), including 2 new ones (pink salmon bellies and whole pikeminnow) without even a nibble all day. I did mark a few large fish pass under the boat but couldn't get any bites.

Water levels are now back to almost normal but clarity is still only 4". Now that the levels are low I would expect the clarity to improve fairly soon.

Planning on a day out Thursday...weather to determine where....

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Sturgeon August 20
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:18:25 PM »

I was out tonight too. Managed to land a fat squaw fish.

2slow

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »

For sturgeon fishing what would you recommend as the minimum boat size and motor combination for anchoring on the fraser??

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »

Depends on where you are fishing.
You can anchor safely out there  in a 12 footer if in the right place,however a 12 footer wouldnt be wise in a lot of places.