Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PINKS!  (Read 13185 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
PINKS!
« on: August 11, 2007, 08:09:02 PM »

How do you guys prepare ocean fresh pinks??? I BBQ one the other day with some cajun spice and lemon juice. Was actually quite tasty
weeeeeeeeeow!

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: PINKS!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:42:49 PM »

lol...y wouldn't it be?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:41:34 PM »

Mayonnaise and fresh dill. Mmmm

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »

I bake it with lemon juice and put some pepper, salt and this stuff called la grill. real good.
small fish in a big river

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 12:29:27 AM »

Roger that FA!! mushrooms also go well on top.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:59:09 PM »

I smoke them into simulated bacon.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 08:48:26 PM »

I smoke them all.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 05:51:53 PM »

I know you guys all eat your fair share of fish and I certainly respect your opinions but all my friends do to and they've all told me that pinks are crap no matter how many different ways they've tried to prepare them so I've never bothered ever killing one. 

They told me the texture is soft, almost mushy. no flavour to speak of, and any of them that they've even smoked with countless recipes they had trouble giving away!  Some of them told me even the Vedder/Harrison white springs taste better and I have tried them more than once just to be sure the first one I tried wasn't a bad one, but no such luck.  They were aweful and actually had a very unpleasant aroma no matter how hard I tried to mask it with spices of every sort. The dog didn't even want to eat it.

Tell me...have I been led astray on pinks??  There doesn't seem to be a whole lotta choice locally right now.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 10:31:39 PM »

They are delicious when eaten fresh. Perhaps your friends don't know how to cook ;D (just kidding !)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 05:44:13 PM »

I love ocean chrome pinks! Iv been eating them 4-5 days a week. Awsome tasting fish, hard to choose between them and red springs.
weeeeeeeeeow!

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 10:35:41 PM »

The key to any fish is to eat them fresh.  For pinks, no more than a day after bonking them.  That said, they are a delicate flavored fish so you should be able to marinate them in any kind of flavoring you want and they should take to that nicely.  The wife doesn't like even the slightest hint of fishy taste so I have to mask the flavor... a lot.  A really strong marinade will do it.  For an asian influenced flavored fish, I use a miso/ginger/maple glaze that I use as a base for a marinade as well.  But, the old standby of mayo/lemon/dill (or whatever herb you like) works really well too.  Grilling on the bbq is also very nice or baking in the oven with some salt and pepper.  Then you can make a lemon/dill sauce over top or a bearnaise sauce would be really nice.  Simple and elegant.  Also, skin them if you want to avoid the stronger fish smell and make sure to remove all the dark flesh that is under the skin. 
President Club S. C. & P.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 12:08:08 AM »

try pickling them. the brine will firm them up and the flavour is awesome.  a good shortcut is to use the pickle juice from your favourite pickle brand and throw in a red chili.  simple and no cooking is involved, just make sure the flesh is submerged fully and let it cure in the fridge for a week or so.

might be a good idea to slice them into small thin pieces.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:09:50 AM by blaydRnr »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 08:28:47 PM »

try pickling them. the brine will firm them up and the flavour is awesome.  a good shortcut is to use the pickle juice from your favourite pickle brand and throw in a red chili.  simple and no cooking is involved, just make sure the flesh is submerged fully and let it cure in the fridge for a week or so.

might be a good idea to slice them into small thin pieces.

thanks I may give that a shot
weeeeeeeeeow!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 12:49:11 PM »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 07:40:26 PM »

A few years ago, a seasoned camp chef was overheard explaining how to cook Pink on a plank. "First, you have to catch Pink," he told his companion. "It’s harder than it sounds as they are wily, and a tough fighter. You want one that is about four pounds. Fillet the Pink and stake it to a plank preferably apple, peach, alder or cedar. Place the planked Pink in a large pan and pour in enough cheap, but drinkable, red wine to cover. A half gallon should do it, as that way you have some left over to drink. Marinate planked Pink in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Remove planked Pink from the refrigerator, and fire up the grill.
"Cook the planked Pink. When it’s done, remove the Pink from the plank and throw the Pink away. Eat the plank accompanied by some more of the cheap red wine."

An oldy but goody
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?