Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where have the sockeye gone?  (Read 4765 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Where have the sockeye gone?
« on: July 27, 2007, 06:46:19 AM »

I found this in yesterdays province . Story on the sockeye. Interesting read.

Where have all the sockeye gone -- and why?
Brian Lewis, The Province
Published: Thursday, July 26, 2007
One of Mother Nature's annual summer miracles in B.C. is the return of sockeye salmon to spawn in fresh water after spending most of their four-year life-cycle in the ocean.

But modern development along major sockeye rivers such as the Fraser, together with years of overfishing, are putting B.C. sockeye stocks in danger -- and updated test-catch statistics released recently show that this disturbing downward trend may be accelerating.

Following the regular monthly meeting of its Fraser River Panel, the Pacific Salmon Commission issued the following, terse statement on Tuesday:

Conservationist Craig Orr of the Watershed Watch Salmon Society says Fraser River sockeye are suffering from too much stress.

****"Test-fishing catches of sockeye have remained at low levels. The return of four-year-old Fraser sockeye thus far this season continues to track far below pre-season expectations."

I asked the chief biologist, Michael Lapointe, to expand on the salmon commission's announcement.

"We've been test-catching for about 10 days now with very, very low catches relative to expectations," he responded.

In the first of the four components that make up the annual sockeye return -- the early Stuart run -- Lapointe said the expectation was for a "very small" return of about 45,000 fish. "It now looks like less than half of that number will return -- perhaps only 10,000 to 15,000 fish," he added.

Similar preliminary numbers are showing up for the second component, the early summer run, which is just beginning.

That forecast was for 690,000 fish to return and by now about 50,000 of these fish should have arrived. "So far we've only seen about 5,500," he said.

Not surprisingly, the entire Fraser Panel area, which covers all of Juan de Fuca Strait, the Strait of Georgia and the Fraser River, is closed to commercial and recreational fishing for sockeye. Only very limited native fishing is allowed.

However, the big question is whether or not the much larger remaining two components, the summer run and late summer run, will show equally low returns.

"Sometimes the early and late sockeye runs correspond fairly well, but sometimes they don't," Lapointe said.

"We're also seeing low returns in Barclay Sound and the Lake Washington run in the U.S.," he added.

With the two early runs well below expectations, the 2007 forecast for a total of 6.3 million returning sockeye may be well beyond reach already.

Lapointe also said water temperatures and flows in the Fraser are good for migrating salmon but that warmer than usual ocean temperatures are thought to be one of the major culprits here.

However, conservationists such as Craig Orr, executive director of the Coquitlam-based Watershed Watch Salmon Society, says sockeye stocks are declining due to environmental pressures and overfishing.

"These fish are encountering increased stress and we have to account for that in terms of our sockeye-management regimes," he says. "And the first thing we must do is reduce fishing capacity."

If total catch numbers are not reduced, Orr says, sockeye declines will accelerate to the point where the fishery will have to close permanently, like the Maritime cod fishery several years ago.

"The cod closure should be a lesson for everyone here on the West Coast," he warns.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Where have the sockeye gone?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:05:25 AM »

All the sockeye have gone to Superstore, T & T, Safeway, Save On....

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:44:41 AM »

It's getting to the point where they need to go to a complete 4-5 year closure to allow for a complete life cycle or more on each of these threaten stocks.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:01:02 AM »

Signs are up at #10 highway near 176 "sockeye for sell". You sure hope there not the ones that ain't showing up in the test fishery,etc. Moral is if you look for sockeye you will find sockeye. Maybe not in the river because they 've already been netted.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

gman

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 08:59:31 AM »

Yesterday, I spent the day on the Fraser boating and fishing between Agassiz and up towards Hope.

To my surprise I saw NO nets in the river. This was my first time out this year, but I have done similar trips many times over the past couple of years and always seen at least a few nets in the river.  But not yesterday....

TheBaiter

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 09:55:39 AM »

nothing net anymore

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 03:36:15 PM »

Even with total closure those socs will not return.  It's time to reopen those hatcheries that were shut down late 80's and early 90's.
With global weather pattern change stress in rivers and low ocean survival rate will just continue.

Since test fishery show low catch rate, there isn't many fish returning to river in the beginning what difference is there if closure is in place or not?
5,500 fishes for entire early Stuart run, how many per spawning ground?  If a little natural disaster happens there won't be any spawners left. 
Hatchery can bring the number up to a safe sustanable level before they are shut down again.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »

At this time it looks like there will be no sockeye opening on the Fraser except for FN.

If that is the case there will be none the next two years either and hopefully that will be the end of it. ;D ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »

Chris, that's not good news.  Less people observing FN activities, and that also means no pressure on the government to restore the source.

"No one's looking let's just leave it"  :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 06:29:53 PM »

Chris, that's not good news.  Less people observing FN activities, and that also means no pressure on the government to restore the source.

"No one's looking let's just leave it"  :-\
There will be lots of bar fishers still out there after chinooks, do not worry. ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 09:43:16 PM »

::)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 04:41:40 PM »

Why  panic? Didn't we have a late year a few years back and sockeye didn't open until Sept.? It may become more of a trend. Just think Sockeye, coho and pink are all around at the same time, wouldn't it be nice? Which fish will you go after?   ;D

johnny

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 05:54:18 AM »

It's not even August yet...

::)
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 07:42:52 AM »

Why  panic? Didn't we have a late year a few years back and sockeye didn't open until Sept.? It may become more of a trend. Just think Sockeye, coho and pink are all around at the same time, wouldn't it be nice? Which fish will you go after?   ;D

Definatly coho. If the sockeye opened that late that would be a dream come true as most people would be on the fraser  ;D ;D ;D  leaving the veddar pretty quiet. I hope.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »

Definatly coho. If the sockeye opened that late that would be a dream come true as most people would be on the fraser  ;D ;D ;D  leaving the veddar pretty quiet. I hope.

Ditto on that, coho all the way... They can have their sockeye... I hope the Vedder early season is quiet, its the best time for hot fresh coho!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin