Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Chinook Report June 25th, 2007  (Read 7472 times)

BH123

Re: Fraser Chinook Report June 25th, 2007
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 10:15:34 PM »

I opened a bomb shell with this report. Wow. I was not aware of the DFO notice. I did not hook or see any sockeyes when I was out. My dad and I rod's doubled over and both times they were chinook. I don't see a problem with bottom bouncing if I did not catch any socks or see any caught. I did see several native nets. I feel large gill nets are more of a threat to the socks than my sweeping leader. Until a start catching socks or the DFO puts out statistics on how many anglers catch early socks, I will continue BB. How do we know if any socks are in the river any way if there is no test fishery. For some of you, go to the general discussion area and trash BB. I am reporting my day of fishing which included 2 springs and no socks. This info is useful for some hoping to catch chinook(s) this long weekend.

Both fish were reds and they tasted great on the barbe.

"River Walker" I have caught 2 socks on k15 kwickfish. One on the Skeena and one on the Fraser.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:18:31 PM by BH123 »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:50:31 PM »

Ditto with my history of barfishing too... 2 socks... And everyone crowded around, in disbelief... It's really rare.

Be prepared to be correcting alot of anglers out there... Or else we'll all lose spring season... It sounds like there are quite a few springs in the river from all the reports I've been hearing (not internet).

Protect your opening, I was part of a protest along with chris gadsden back in 1986 to fight for the right to keep these fish... BCTV came out, and so did DFO... It was a big deal back then, and we as anglers have so many rights now...

Lets all be smart out there, and be sure to not screw up what has been worked for so hard...

Cheers,
Nicole
So true Nicole, we are on a very slippery slope these days and if too much of this activity takes place in the days ahead we will lose so much that you and many others have worked so hard to attain.

We have a meeting tomorrow to put the final stamp on fishing ethics document that deals mostly with the Chilliwack Vedder River but it goes hand in hand with the Fraser River in many minds.

FOC and MOE will be at tomorrow's meeting so we may hear more on the game plan what is going to happen if the notice is no adhered too.

Tee

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 07:48:51 AM »

Thanks for the report. Just woder how the water conditions looked like when you were out fishing.

Cheers,
I only fish on days that end with "y".

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 07:54:13 AM »

So BH123 you are going to continue to bottom bounce despite the request not to do so by the DFO? If you do it just shows your greed and total lack of respect for our resource. Did you know that the nets that are out there are for springs? Which means the sockeye can swim right through the holes in the nets.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Jimmy

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 08:12:24 AM »

Like so many other people out there believe that it is their right to BB the Fraser when asked not to. " I just spent $40k on this boat and I plan fishing when and how I want." I have seen and experienced many like this and it will only get worse until they shut it down.

I get the impression that they impose the regulations but without enforcement there will always be A$$Holes who insist on breaking the rules.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 08:16:02 AM »

It kinda makes more sense to bar fish, because all fish hooked bit out of their own will, which means all those fish fight hard because they are fresh!
Fish killer 101

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 10:30:18 AM »

You can't enforce anything unless you got the people out there to do it....Kind of like you can't have peace without might...Very few of these guys will stop unless they see or are smacked hard by your DFO....I found it very interesting to be fishing down here on our skagit last week...Our fish and game is out in force, they have been handing out tickets for illegally caught fish and the hatchery has um on ice till the trial...Guy at the hatchery said most are just bad adipose fin cuts caused by the machine they use now instead of woman...BUT, the fact remains, no one even thinks of keeping anything that might get um ticketed and their gear taken away, big fines and loss of fishing rights for 5 years...
You need to put teeth into your laws too or guys will tell you to blow smoke, just like is happening here...

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 10:46:44 AM »

I hate these bottom bouncing threads but:

*why have any opening if a run is threatened
*the ceremonial or whatever opening should be closed if the stocks are threatened
*recrational fishermen get last place after the the commercial and First Nations right to fish (read the Skeena thread)
*more recreational fishers than both other groups catch less fish overall anyway
*I don't feel we should be given the shift because of DFO regs that seem biased, and promote a disrespect for the regulations in general
*recreational fishers provide more bang for the buck than the others, so if money is the issue we should be first consideration
*we don't have a business lobby behind us so it's an uphill battle having our say (join angling organizations that protect our rights).

Chastising other fishers because of there technique on the Fraser (I hope not to see that on other rivers though for Krist's sake) just pits the recreation group against each other. I know some people can accurately BB for Springs by choosing the right slot on the Fraser so good for them. Bar fishing for Springs has been around for ages and should be promoted as a more ethical way of fishing, but again if it's for conservation close it down for everyone. Nets do way more damage. The commercial fishers have wiped out more runs. Native guys using nets have the same affect.

Disclaimer: these are my opinions for the moment :)
I don't see the point in threatening a closure for the recreational sector and leaving the drift nets and call it conservation. I'm calling B.S.(that doesn't mean Big Steel)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

derdywaders

• Nature teaches more than She preaches.
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 12:34:55 PM »

there's an awful lot of arguing and preaching going on in here for a "fishing report thread". Take it to the discussion page. Much appreciated. :(
Today's menu cosists of two items: Take it, or leave it.... So what can I get you?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 01:23:43 PM »

I think it is funny as heck to watch everyone take it too far !!! it is like most of the members on this site just can't wait to start judging, preaching and bashing other members.... makes for entertaining reading !! it is also the main reason another certain site sucks !!!  ;)

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »

I think it is funny as heck to watch everyone take it too far !!! it is like most of the members on this site just can't wait to start judging, preaching and bashing other members.... makes for entertaining reading !! it is also the main reason another certain site sucks !!!  ;)

TH

That's cause your a pink panty wearing floss machine...

river walker

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 04:04:35 PM »

hahahahahahahaahahaahahaahaha   ;D  now if you put thoes on your bait loop nothing but SPRINGS!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:09:56 PM by river walker »
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 04:09:47 PM »

TH

That's cause your a pink panty wearing floss machine...

What's you're point ???

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 04:52:48 PM »

So BH123 you are going to continue to bottom bounce despite the request not to do so by the DFO? If you do it just shows your greed and total lack of respect for our resource. Did you know that the nets that are out there are for springs? Which means the sockeye can swim right through the holes in the nets.
Just a quick point.  DFO's request doesn't come out and say Bottom Bouncing.  It says selective fishing techniques.  Why don't they just come out and say BB'ing?  Noone can get a ticket for for bottom bouncing.  It would not hold up in court and DFO knows it.  They are to vague on the topic.  Why? 
  So what are they doing?  They are driving a wedge between the sport fishing community.  You have the side that is dead set against BB'ing and the side that has been out there doing it for years and knows that they are having a very minimal affect on the Sockeye population.   I guess we are much easier to handle if we are always fighting amoungst ourselves and not working together.  Saddest and oldest trick in the book, and you know what.... every year we fall for it. ??? 
  My guess is that if DFO is planning on closing the Fraser, they will do it no matter how many people are out BBing and they will do it only to Sportfisherman.  But that is a big "if" and I don't see that happening for a long time.  So I will barfish, but if I get the urge for something different, I will go out and use another method.  I am one of those many that doesn't seem to have a problem NOT catching sockeye while fishing for Spring.  Believe it or not, doesn't bother me in the least.  The people I have fished with have seen it time and time again.  BTW, They are good at not catching sockeye BB'ing when fishing for early Spring.  Infact the only 3 Sockeye I saw caught last year in the early part of the year were on Bar rigs.  Go figure.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 05:52:08 PM »

I actually dont have a problem with BB'ing anymore. Since it is perfectly legal. I now have a different take on it. I call it a harvest and I wish they would call it the same. They should change the way it is done but I believe it does have its place. Right now is not that time.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family