Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jones Lake - 13th  (Read 2178 times)

WestEast

Jones Lake - 13th
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »

Was up there today, Sunday. The FSR is definitely better than what it was last year at this time. Took about 20min to do the uphill. The Mars Craters that use to take up the last 2km have been smoothed over. I advise it is still a 4WD trek, but I saw a few cars today. If you bottomed out before, you won't now. I was surprised to see the water level so high. It's about as high as it can get. This time last year, I had to drive the truck 150m out before I got to the water side. The weather was not as promised by Mark Madriga. It was low overcast, cold, and the wind was brewing. Arrived at 9am. Packed up at Noon. By then, the waves were 1ft, and I wished my new frog boat had the sail kit. Nevertheless, slow trolling a black leech, I had half-a-dozen strikes, and landed just one. It was a beauty - 16" strong, well-fed rainbow, which I quickly let loose. Taken across from the boat launch, in about 25ft of water, with a fast sink line. Water temp was 47F. Compare that to 53F this time last year. Only one other boat on the lake. Campsites at the dayuse area were all taken.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: Jones Lake - 13th
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:53:32 PM »

do you know if it was wild or not?

WestEast

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 09:17:46 PM »

do you know if it was wild or not?

I understand that BCHydro and Fisheries have had challenges with building up a trout population in this large, manmade lake. I read that they even had to adjust the alkalinity of the water with a boat that criss-crossed the lake sowing natural neutralisers (like lime). That was years ago. Don't know when the last stocking was, but I think it hasn't been done for a few years. There are kokanee and trout in there, along with a large population of stickleback which provides the natural feed. As with most manmade lakes of this size, the underwater terrain is mainly hardpacked clay, rock and tree stumps. To answer your question.... I don't know.

bcguy

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:32:15 AM »

There seems to be some wild stock in there, at least, some of the smaller ones have the look and colour of wild stock, and an apidose fin.
Here's a little fella from Sept/06 Long weekend. I think he's a beautiful little fish.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 11:47:50 AM by bcguy »
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »

very nice fish, awsome colouration! Green weding band was the lure of choice i see!
Fish killer 101

bcguy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 04:34:09 PM »

Yep, during the day that weekend, a wedding band was like trout candy, this was the smallest caught that weekend, but probably had the most coloration.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

island boy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »

there are some monster cutties in them there waters. with all the stickleback and trout fry those thing grow big and fast. a worm on bottom casted out from shore got me a nice 23 inch fatty last fall. troll deep in the hole out in the middle and there are some good size bows to be had as well. fished that lake tons of times and never been skunked. always some thing biting,just got to find them.
you kill it, you clean it.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 09:44:58 PM »

Is there any camping available around the lake?

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:58:36 PM »

Is there any camping available around the lake?

Yup !!! :)

island boy

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 04:00:24 PM »

hydro has 2 campsites with tables and outhouses(maby 30 sites). plus there is tons of spots on the shore to camp.
you kill it, you clean it.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 07:59:13 AM »

hydro has 2 campsites with tables and outhouses(maby 30 sites). plus there is tons of spots on the shore to camp.

Thanks!