Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who Should Stay and Who Should Go?  (Read 7055 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Who Should Stay and Who Should Go?
« on: May 06, 2007, 09:30:31 PM »

Time to play GM.  What Canucks should be kept and which ones deserve their walking papers?  I left my thoughts on the other post.

Lumps

Re: Who Should Stay and Who Should Go?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:06:41 AM »

I read what you said on the other thread, I agree with you on Nasy. I think he even has a no trade clause in his contract.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:33:57 PM »

From the interview yesterday Naslund wants to return next season to fulfill his final year of his contract.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:58:58 PM »

It's amazing how hush-hush the players are during the playoffs about injuries and illnesses.  They play lousy, have to take the wrath from the media and the fans, and then everyone thinks they're soft or wants to trade them for their poor performance.

ie.  Morrison...sports hernia that will probably need an operation (got it 3 months ago and played through it; who knows how well he'll play when he's back to 100%...it's been awhile,now), Daniel S....lost 22 lbs from a stomach virus (played at a 175 lbs.), Henrik...same virus but caught it later and lost 8 lbs. No wonder they were slowed up and pushed around.

Canucks have 10 unrestricted free agents they need to think about this summer.  Out of these I'd sign Pyatt ( he'll cost us alot more but that's OK), Sabourin (says he'll play another year behind Luongo), Bullis (played with more heart and grit in the second half, was great on the PK, and truth be known took fewer penalties than either of the Sedins), Linden (good character guy and still shows still shows alot of leadership), Fitzpatrick (good 7th defenceman), Bieksa (don't think he's signed yet)and I'd say a hasty good bye to Chouinard and Santala.  Still thinking about the others.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »

It's amazing how hush-hush the players are during the playoffs about injuries and illnesses.  They play lousy, have to take the wrath from the media and the fans, and then everyone thinks they're soft or wants to trade them for their poor performance.

You got that right. The average fan don't really know the true story about sports injuries especially during the playoffs.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:32:36 PM »

Canucks have 10 unrestricted free agents they need to think about this summer.  Out of these I'd sign Pyatt ( he'll cost us alot more but that's OK), Sabourin (says he'll play another year behind Luongo), Bullis (played with more heart and grit in the second half, was great on the PK, and truth be known took fewer penalties than either of the Sedins), Linden (good character guy and still shows still shows alot of leadership), Fitzpatrick (good 7th defenceman), Bieksa (don't think he's signed yet)and I'd say a hasty good bye to Chouinard and Santala.  Still thinking about the others.

Bieksa is still signed for another year at 0.525 so no need to worry about that yet, but always good to plan ahead. Chouinard signed a two year deal last year so we're stuck with him on our books.

The two players I would like to pursue over the off season are Scott Walker and Aaron Asham. Walker used to be a Canuck so we kne what he brings to the table and Asham was a beast in the playoffs for the Islanders. Might not have gotten on the score sheet much but he did exactly what a good 4th liner should do. Plus he has a surprisingly good release.

Another though would be to send an offer sheet over to Derek Roy. Buffalo has a lot of players they need to re-sign ie Drury, Briere and if we could somehow get our hands on Roy...Doug Gilmore 2.0 anyone?
Actions speak louder than words.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 11:48:23 PM »

I'm pretty sure Chouinard has 2 more years under contract, so they can try and trade him or buy out his contract for something like 2/3 the cost. I say buy him out.

Nazzy has 1yr and a no-trade clause in his contract so it will be hard to get rid of him.

Morrison should go. I don't care if he was injured and played through it he needs to produce and for the amount he makes he didn't do enough.

I'd like to see Smyth paired with the Sedins but he will be very expensive. Drury is appealing but i don't know if he'd fit our team well. I think the canucks would be better off making minumal changes this off season and wait for the following year. They will have way more cap space with nazzy gone and there is always a large selection of free agents to choose from. Plus this year the cap gets upped so there will be lots of GM's looking to buy.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 02:09:24 PM »

No one will take morrisons contract or naslunds so you can negate that right off the bat...even though it would be nice to free up 9 million in cap. You gotta lose Ohlund, he looked like crap in the playoffs and you could still get something decent for him...you also need, SPEED, GRIT, SCORING..... Vancouver was the only team in the playoffs with literally no scoring threat and got punked by Anaheim and could nothing about it... You'd get a face full of glove from any other team in the playoffs for running the goalie like the ducks or dallas did...but no one on Vancouver could do a thing about it...

You got the best goalie in the league IMHO, build around him and get rid of as much dead wood (twins) as you can. Hey, wouldn't hurt to get a few Canindians on you team for a change...

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 02:55:01 PM »

No one will take morrisons contract or naslunds so you can negate that right off the bat...even though it would be nice to free up 9 million in cap. You gotta lose Ohlund, he looked like crap in the playoffs and you could still get something decent for him...you also need, SPEED, GRIT, SCORING..... Vancouver was the only team in the playoffs with literally no scoring threat and got punked by Anaheim and could nothing about it... You'd get a face full of glove from any other team in the playoffs for running the goalie like the ducks or dallas did...but no one on Vancouver could do a thing about it...

You got the best goalie in the league IMHO, build around him and get rid of as much dead wood (twins) as you can. Hey, wouldn't hurt to get a few Canindians on you team for a change...

No wonder we call you a dumb American  ;D ;D ;D ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »

Any of you nay sayers on Ohlund check the points total for the playoffs.....he was tied for top spot on the Canucks

7 points in 12 games is not too shabby for a D-man. He was second for most shots blocked, as well.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 03:39:32 PM »

No wonder we call you a dumb American  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey you buttsmoker...go back and read who's prediction in the beginning of the year is about to come true???
Yeah baby!!!!

Ohlund is one of the few guys you can trade and get something for, he's slow and was beaten consistantly back even on other teams iceings.. not a nay sayer, you don't have much else you can use...Defense is about the only spot Canucks are strong in and can afford that move...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 04:14:55 PM »

I have to agree with Xgolman on this one. Those are just stats. Anyone that watched the games would know its time to trade him. He has lost allot of speed and is getting beat off the puck quite easily. Guys that should go:

Ohlund ( can be replaced with Luc Bourdon )
Naslund ( go after Ryan Smyth )
Morrison ( go after Paul Kariya )

release:
Smolinski
Choinard ( if possible he is still under contract )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 06:27:53 PM »

Bring in a tough guy goon

Isn't Cowan a tough guy ?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »

It's funny, they brought up how smolinski was supposed to be a face off expert and yet he lost something like 67% of his face offs...then it dawned on me...I forgot he even was there he was so non existant in the play offs...Also, Vancouver over all was horrible on face offs, I think T.L. was about the only one over 50%...that is something they have to address as well..but bottom line is they have to get some scoring and speed...Power play???