Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone use a fishing buddy style of fish finder???  (Read 8204 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Anyone use a fishing buddy style of fish finder???
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:19:20 PM »

Saturday, after I closed the shop I spent some time getting my pram ready for the lakes, I cut up some old rubber soled office mats for the floor and got that all done, put the motor on and checked it out...And then headed down to b town to get the finishing touches...I needed an extension handle for the motor..and wanted to get a fish finder as well...
I've been trying to find a piranha 240 as I was advised by a very knowledgeable man on flybc that it was the sheeits... I found one down there which really surprised me AND the price was good...but I'm an illiterate knob when it comes to these things... The navy spent a 1/2 million dollars on my schools for radar and weapons controls but I can't figure how to wire these stupid little things.. :'(
Long story short... they had the higher end fishing buddy which you just put the clamp on the transom and slide her in and I thought..."Damn, that's just too easy" So, anyways, I'm thinking it might be a good one to learn on and it's easy to put on my inflatable too...I'm just wondering if the thing works OK and if anyone else has one and what they think of theirs????

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Anyone use a fishing buddy style of fish finder???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:29:29 PM »

Saturday, after I closed the shop I spent some time getting my pram ready for the lakes, I cut up some old rubber soled office mats for the floor and got that all done, put the motor on and checked it out...And then headed down to b town to get the finishing touches...I needed an extension handle for the motor..and wanted to get a fish finder as well...
I've been trying to find a piranha 240 as I was advised by a very knowledgeable man on flybc that it was the sheeits... I found one down there which really surprised me AND the price was good...but I'm an illiterate knob when it comes to these things... The navy spent a 1/2 million dollars on my schools for radar and weapons controls but I can't figure how to wire these stupid little things.. :'(
Long story short... they had the higher end fishing buddy which you just put the clamp on the transom and slide her in and I thought..."Damn, that's just too easy" So, anyways, I'm thinking it might be a good one to learn on and it's easy to put on my inflatable too...I'm just wondering if the thing works OK and if anyone else has one and what they think of theirs????

I have one and it works very well. I have used it a few times and its easy as you just clamp it on and turn it on. Thats it. I have been thinking of upgrading mine so if you want to buy mine off me let me know. I am going to be setting up my frog boat with all the bells and whistles so I am upgrading. I have the rod holders all set, now I have to get the flooring and anchors. Let me know if you want it and we can work out a deal. If we can work something out I can drop it off at Reaction on Saturday. Just PM me and we can talk price.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 07:50:49 PM »

I have one and it works very well. I have used it a few times and its easy as you just clamp it on and turn it on. Thats it. I have been thinking of upgrading mine so if you want to buy mine off me let me know. I am going to be setting up my frog boat with all the bells and whistles so I am upgrading. I have the rod holders all set, now I have to get the flooring and anchors. Let me know if you want it and we can work out a deal. If we can work something out I can drop it off at Reaction on Saturday. Just PM me and we can talk price.

I already bought the sucker...I guess my question would be, what about it do you like and/or dis like... I'm at the point now where i'm only really concerned with knowing how deep it is and what the bottom looks like for shoals and logs etc. It has a side cone function which should be OK too...but I was told it isn't that great in shallows as much as a tri beam one is... After talking with Jack, he told me how to set it up the 240 model and it makes sense...But I like this one though for one other huge reason.... I'm going to take it to the river and hold it and walk around and see what some spots look like... The spoon king told me about that today and that really fascinates me...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 07:53:28 PM by Xgolfman »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 09:13:15 PM »

It is really good for directly below you and a bit to the sides. It tells the depth but can sneak up on you. Its good for the price and handy. I am upgrading as I want more for my money.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 09:57:51 AM »

It is really good for directly below you and a bit to the sides. It tells the depth but can sneak up on you. Its good for the price and handy. I am upgrading as I want more for my money.

The piranha 240 has a 90* directional cone and comes highly recommended...it's 139 at the place down here. Pm me if you want more info. that will be my next one I think

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »

I own a fishing buddy 2 and the humminbird port. Pirahna 15.

First thing: Depth finding ability...The hummingbird is more accurate for depth because the sensor cup is right on the bottom of the boat.  I used the fishingbuddy (had two of them) for the last 15 years and this summer I fished with both of them out of the same boat.  The depth reading of the FB was out by two feet and that was after I added on the extra foot for the extension in the water.  For all those years I fished water that was 2 feet deeper than I thought.  The Hum. was bang on for depth.

Second thing:  Fish finding ability...The FB gives you a fish reading below the boat and out to the side (about 45 degrees) in the direction its pointing at which is fine as long as you're only fishing in that direction.  In other words there could be fish close to you in another direction that you won't know about.  BUT..I think the FB is more sensitive to finding fish although it will also sound on long weeds.  Of course if there isn't any there then you'll know it's fish.  My hummingbird isn't as sensitive but because it has dual cones it picks up fish in every direction.  If the fish are below the boat it's a solid symbol and hollow if out to the sides.  If you are anchored on a dropoff and the fish is to the shallow side of you the hollow symbol will be under the line showing the bottom; if to the deeper side it will be above the bottom line.  That's kinda cool.  Also, when you are cruising the shoals at higher speeds it reads the fish better below you.  You can't have the FB out when you're cruising at higher speeds because it wobbles so hard that you might break the bracket.

Third thing: Power Source:  Both run on batteries that last a good long time as long as you remember when you're done fishing to flip one of the batteries over so that if the finder is accidentily turned on they won't burn out the batteries.  FB uses 3 C batteries; Hum uses 8 AA batteries.  The non-portables have to run off a huge marine like battery.  That's why i didn't buy a fixed one.

Fourth thing:  Portability.  Both are good.  The Hum. packs up into it's own little case and it's really easy to put on the suction cup.  If you used it on a float tube or pontoon you'd just need to rig up a thin 4 inch board about a foot and a half long that runs down the side of your boat to put the suction cup on.  The side bag should hold  the sounder or rig it up so that it sits in a scotty rod holder bracket.  I put my FB through the drink holder cup and strap a bungie around the top part of the sounder arm, then around the tube or pontoon, then connect it to the bottom part of the finder arm.  It's very sturdy and doesn't get in the way.  Put your net on the other side of the tube or pontoon.

I definitely like my Hum. more.  It's more durable ( I have a number of friends whose went on the blitz after travelling down many bumpy roads dozens of times), better depth accuracy which is the most important feature of these things, it can sit right on the seat in front of you, and you can keep it running while you're cruising at top speed with your electric motor.

Hope this helps out XG

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 03:38:57 PM »

I noticed when I read back through the post... just to clarify... it was the Fishing buddies that went on the blitz not the Humminbirds so you need to be really careful withe FB's.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 03:43:06 PM »

Ok, will do...I can sell the fb to a buddy who really likes the idea of one as well... I'll see if I can find a portable one..that's what I'd truely like.... but the 240 might just be the better idea after all...

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »

Is the 240 a portable?

It is probably a very good one but if it's fixed then you can't use it on other boats.  That's the beauty of the portables.  If you go fishing with a buddy on another boat, or you use your pontoon, etc.  if you've  got that luxury of taking it along.  And as I said before, the fixed ones need to run off the same battery as your elec. motor.  so you've got to recharge more often.  The fixed ones are great in big boats because the batteries are being recharged as you're running the motor.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 06:41:14 PM »

Is the 240 a portable?

It is probably a very good one but if it's fixed then you can't use it on other boats.  That's the beauty of the portables.  If you go fishing with a buddy on another boat, or you use your pontoon, etc.  if you've  got that luxury of taking it along.  And as I said before, the fixed ones need to run off the same battery as your elec. motor.  so you've got to recharge more often.  The fixed ones are great in big boats because the batteries are being recharged as you're running the motor.

No, it's a permanent mount...or semi permanent depending on how you do it... it's a touch call that's for sure... ease of use or a better display and/or use???