Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some advice, going to Fly-fish a river for the first time.  (Read 5672 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

So, I am going to flyfish a river for the first time this weekend, using a 5 weight for Dolley/Bulls.  Not sure on the set-up I should use to get the line/offering down to the fish.  I will be using Minnow patterns and Flesh patterns.  I have been told to use a floating line, but what after that in the way of leader? A section of lead line (t-14?) with a 4 foot lead tied to that seems good, but any other ideas on set-ups would be great.  Thanks in advance. 

Dave.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Need some advice, going to Fly-fish a river for the first time.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 07:32:01 PM »

So, I am going to flyfish a river for the first time this weekend, using a 5 weight for Dolley/Bulls.  Not sure on the set-up I should use to get the line/offering down to the fish.  I will be using Minnow patterns and Flesh patterns.  I have been told to use a floating line, but what after that in the way of leader? A section of lead line (t-14?) with a 4 foot lead tied to that seems good, but any other ideas on set-ups would be great.  Thanks in advance. 

Dave.

Don't use lead line. Just use a tapered leader and some tippet. If you want the fly down use weighted flies. You could use a ghost tip which is what I use when fishing the rivers as it gets down into the zone. The biggest thing about fishing the rivers is the cast and the mend. Cast upstream than mend your line. This is something that well come with practice.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:29:35 PM »

Those are strike indicators and do work well. I use them on occasion. From my experience they dont help mend the line as the person casting is the one that has to mend the line, nothing other than you can do it or help. Their is a good article in this months issue of FlyFusion on mending. I got mine in the mail yesterday and read the article. Very helpful. I believe most shops carry this magazine.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 10:41:08 PM »

Those are strike indicators and do work well. I use them on occasion. From my experience they dont help mend the line as the person casting is the one that has to mend the line, nothing other than you can do it or help. Their is a good article in this months issue of FlyFusion on mending. I got mine in the mail yesterday and read the article. Very helpful. I believe most shops carry this magazine.

I bought the small dynk floats there foam, painted top and there about an inch long and very skinny looking

Hmm dont know if I have seen those. Are they meant for fly fishing? I like the Phil Rowley indicators very easy to put on your line and work very well. Intersted to see what you got and how it works.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:53:33 PM »

Buy a 5' section of T-14, slice a slight taper on one end and then form a loop with thread and then coat with aquaseal (slicing allows for a smoother tapered loop).  Get some 30lb or so mono and then form a perfection loop, nail knot the mono so that you have about 3" or less (loop included) on mono on the other end.

Loop on 3ft of leader and you are good to go.

Mend if you need to go deeper and keep a tighter drift if you want to shallow up.

It will suck casting with a tip and even more so with a 5 wt. but it can be done.  Cast straight out and mend accordingly.

Probably not the "real proper" way of doing things, and the elitists may guffaw, but it works.

Shane

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:18:22 AM »

Just loop your flyline at the end and go buy a bunch of rio poly leaders.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »

In the recent bull trout video, Chrome Mykiss was using a Thill strike indicator, but the little foam float would work too.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 11:43:45 AM »

You going to test those things out this weekend buddy? If so PM me with how they work ( how they are attached to the line ) and what its like casting them and the drift.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 05:17:20 PM »

Wow guys, thanks.  That's a lot to take in, but I thik that for now I am going to try and go easy.  Just get some leaders, weighted flys and bring a couple lines!!  Besides, I will have some experts there to help me along as well.  Itosh, your way is rather interesting, but you have no idea how much I don't know about Fly-fishing.  ;D ::)  So that is like speaking greek to me right now.  But, maybe after a couple trips, I will be enlightened just a bit. Anyhow, thanks for the tips.  Maybe I will even catch something, and preferably not a cold!! :D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!