Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kokanee fishing March 17th, 2007  (Read 6001 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Kokanee fishing March 17th, 2007
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 11:15:11 PM »

It is also 15ft. higher than normal right now because of all the rain and snow melt .

Sinaran

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 11:42:20 PM »

hey guys, i am interested in fishing that lake too. :)   just wondering if there's any shore access coz i don't have a tube nor a giant frog, so fishing from shore is my only option. (unless i could rent a boat/canoe there).  thanks in advance!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 11:49:16 PM »

Fishing is only possible from a boat or tube, unless you want to fish on the floating dock at the launch, which is possible, but your success is very limited.

You can also rent a float tube from Berry's Bait and Tackle. Steelhead King should have more info on this.

Sinaran

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 12:29:55 AM »

Fishing is only possible from a boat or tube, unless you want to fish on the floating dock at the launch, which is possible, but your success is very limited.

You can also rent a float tube from Berry's Bait and Tackle. Steelhead King should have more info on this.
thanks Rod :)  大好人。
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

johnny

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 08:31:15 AM »

its not a big lake, but what i cant stand is poeple dumping there big jet boats and other big boats in there, when the lake is full of pontoons,float tubes, I think there should be a boating restriction to at least 9.9, i know one member from on here had his jet boat out yesterday in the lake, and he was respectfull enough to stay away from all of us and he was polite enough not to be ripping around the lake, but there was one other idiot out there that kept weaving in and out the fly guys in his boat causing waves around us, and buzzing the entire lake , no respect for the people in smaller inflatables.....
Give it another month or so then you'll be dodging the water skiers and wake boarders. Until the lake is restricted in power they have just as much right to be there as you..
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 08:58:22 AM »

its not a big lake, but what i cant stand is poeple dumping there big jet boats and other big boats in there, when the lake is full of pontoons,float tubes, I think there should be a boating restriction to at least 9.9, i know one member from on here had his jet boat out yesterday in the lake, and he was respectfull enough to stay away from all of us and he was polite enough not to be ripping around the lake, but there was one other idiot out there that kept weaving in and out the fly guys in his boat causing waves around us, and buzzing the entire lake , no respect for the people in smaller inflatables.....
Give it another month or so then you'll be dodging the water skiers and wake boarders. Until the lake is restricted in power they have just as much right to be there as you..

I agree they do have every right. Their is something called common courtesy though. When passing through a bunch of float tubers and people on pontoons you could atleast slow down when passing by them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 09:40:43 AM »

Power restriction on Kawkawa will not happen.  Most boater would argue there's so many fishing lakes already there's no need for more restricted lakes.  Oh by the way, I had a chance to talk to that boater ripping up the lake.  He's arguement was many fishermen think they own the lake and even when they arrive later than he does, expect him to move to other side of the lake like those guys own the lake.  He think that lake should be banned from fishing and just for boaters' use.  ( I think that stinks, but coming from both side....)
Personally I think it's speed restriction that should be in effect from Oct 15th to April 30.  But not motor restriction.  Since there are many residents around the lake, they would not appreciate 'outsiders' try running their lake.

bcguy

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 10:25:58 AM »

That sounds like Allouette in the summer, absolutley no respect for smaller crafts, just drug dealers and their toys ripping up the lake
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »

how can you say they're drug dealers. Just cuz they have neat toys

pfffff  ???
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »

i know one member from on here had his jet boat out yesterday in the lake, and he was respectfull enough to stay away from all of us and he was polite enough not to be ripping around the lake

That's because I asked him to be nice to you guys the night before he left. ;)

Both Fishfreak and bbronswyk2000 brought up good points regarding respect and common courtesy, which some boaters lack and give a bad name to the entire user group. Fishing is not the major activity on this lake, water skiing and partying are during the summer. It's quite a pity as the kokanee fishing can also be excellent in June and July, the fish are usually very fat by the point. Several years ago when we were there, it was uncomfortable to fish with constant waves rocking the small boat. one of the waves made me thought that we were not going to go over it. This isn't a complaint, as Johnny brought up they are just doing what they are allowed to do. It's a warning to anyone who is actually thinking about taking a small craft out there during the water skiing season.

By letting others know about this existing fishery, more anglers will utilize it responsibly, which leads to a stronger voice when poaching, shore development and other activities that may take this fishery away. I know quite a few members are returning next weekend, perhaps we'll see you out there. :)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 03:11:12 PM »

that's why you always pack a spinning rod, heavy weights and treble hooks...

I fished a lake down in mt.vernon like that...it just flat out sucked...but that was my fault for fishing there, nothing like spending a sheeity day out battleing waves and drunks, then come back and find your truck broken into and a bunch of people standing around and no one saw anything...hmmmm press one for english.....and you wonder why we pack down here.. ;)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »

Just enjoy the fishing while you can. When the waterskier comes out , who is a summer cabin local, then either fish out of a larger boat or stop fishing there. By then there are Springs to target in the Fraser or Bows in Kamloops, so I don't go to that Lake any more after that.

The waterskier has a summer cabin at the lake, so he's go all the rights to the lake as a fisherman does. Personnaly I can, and do, respect the waterskier. Think about it. And you can fish when he's out there. He typically stays to his one route - so just keep out of his way when he comes out onto the water. No big deal. It's all about courtesy and respect.

There is a sign at the aprking lot that does say something about a speed limit or appropriate speed clause and some other guidelines that most people usually ignore.

There are too many restrictions everywhere - we don't need more. We just need to use our heads.

Let's just be thankfull that we still have public access to that lake.

I'm certainly not going to piss in anyones cereal just because they want to use a lake differently than you do. It's public. You have a choice of either using it or not - let's leave it that way.

That's my 2-bits.

Pat AV

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 09:11:55 PM »

Looks like fun, nice job guys good report. I would like to try and do somthing like that on a lake like stump that has 2-4lb Kok's.

Looks like you guys were using slime lines were you trolling or casting?
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 09:28:16 PM »

Mostly trolling - very little casting.

Eightball

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 07:37:49 PM »

Could you provide more info on the red fly you are using.
What is looks like or a site that shows what it looks like so I can try to tie up some to use.
Thanks!!!!!!!  ;D