Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LEH  (Read 8363 times)

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
LEH
« on: January 03, 2007, 08:30:45 AM »

What is everyones luck with LEH like...?
I put in for 6 a year (usually), some high risk, some low....last draw for moose, or anything else, was 1996..
I know they say that it is the same as a lottery, BUT, I have friends that will get moose and/or deer draws 2-3 years in a row while I get SFA....

How is your luck on this.....

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: LEH
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:59:19 AM »

If it wasn't for the bad, I'd have No Luck at all with the LEH system in this Backwards Country! Six applications a year, for seven years now equals 42 blanks!!  ??? And BTW, these were carefully selected so as not to be amongst the contantly over-subscribed options...

I've lived and hunted in pretty well all of Western Canada, and a considerable amount of the Western States. BC is the only exclusion I can recall that hasn't introduced a Priority Draw System. Under that regime, while you might not draw your desired tag in the first year or two, eventually, you will build up enough points (priority / seniority whatever you wish to call it) and indeed draw the tag you are trying too. In every jurisdiction this has been applied, the vast majority of hunters have expressed satisfaction with the system (a FAR cry from what I hear in this Province!). It does indeed appear that Gordo and his Goons, and those Unelected who actually run the Environment Ministry here have some adversion to joining the progressive balance of Canada and the US in embracing such a priority system.

Many have suggested that perhaps the current LEH system is corrupt. I tend to not believe in "conspiracy theories", but in this instance, I am leaning towards agreement. I have several personal observations that support this, including a couple of fellows who actually manage to draw moose tags in the same highly-subscribed zone year after year, and have done so for a decade and a half. Tried that zone myself just to check it, and Nope... But you guessed it, those two Gentz did indeed both draw tags there yet again. WTF!!! Guess it might have a little something to do with who they invite over for dinner??

I still consider BC a wonderfull Province, and were the LEH's to be handled in a more responsible manner, would be amongst the first to tout it's many great hunting opportunities. Of course I'll keep trying, that's simply the nature of the beast as it were. But I'll also continue to spend decent volumes of coin for the opportunity to hunt in Alberta, Saskatchewan, the Yukon and the NWT. Each of those jurisdictions seems to actually welcome hunters, and their LEH systems, even for non-residents, is FAR FAR superior to the hit and miss lottery design our "managers" insist on sticking to here.

Final point, and a query of sorts:
A couple of years ago I became aware of a campaign, driven by animal welfare organizations, to register their members as hunters in BC for the purpose of interfering with the LEH draws in BC. The underlying motive it appears was to not only create serious over subscription rates for many species, but when one of the Crazies drew a tag, he/she would simply burn it, thereby "saving" that particular animal from being hunted. And although I do recall one of their "celebrations" being touted as a victory in this regard a couple of years ago, it has been ominously silent from that direction since. Just wondering if anyone else might shed some insight on whether this is still an active, ongoing effort on their part?

Not so Cheery about that!
Nog

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 07:22:49 AM »

Hey Matt-
Did you get those hats I sent you....(moosefinder on fishbc)...??
If not let me know....might have a few more kicking around.....

mike

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:36:11 PM »

One of my old bosses and his group have recieved their tags for moose and deer for the last three years in a row.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 10:40:35 PM »

grizz and sheep and elk so far have drawn me absolutely nothin! I'm hoping for one of the three this year!
Fish killer 101

Mike D.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 05:22:02 PM »

In the 2 years I've put them in I am 1 for 8  :-\ 2005 got a "first year hunter" doe draw up rock creek...well, this is pretty much a gurantee...but not for whitey bucks or does!!!! sucked.....whats the luck of seeing a 7x7 mule deer 2 days after they close too?

Mike <"))))))><

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:02:59 PM »

i got pics on the film camera of an 8 by 6 the morning after they closed, i was so pissed off, we hunted that area all the 2 days before got a 4 by 4 at last light the final night, heading out the morning after old mossy horns steps out!  >:(
Fish killer 101

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »

Nil 4 years in a row....I need to know how to gut and skin a NIL...

I head off to South Africa again in two weeks and plan to get my fix...
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

4StarGeneral

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 07:42:23 PM »

Younggun,

Just wondering how long you have been hunting for?  You seem to know everything ::)  But do you really, some of us have spent 20+ years beating the bush for British Columbia game......