Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mar. 1st Vedder report..  (Read 3441 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Mar. 1st Vedder report..
« on: March 01, 2007, 08:14:08 PM »

Well, It was a cold mother this morning....
I'm sure getting tired of getting my butt kicked out there, but what can I say...we fished hard today...The founders of S.C.& P' were out in force for a weekday, which was a nice change.
We started up top...beautiful water, but cold enough to ice your guides. We got nodda but an older gentleman with years of experience and a great personality landed two wild fish, which were quickly tubed and taken up to the hatchery. The last was a nice buck that was probably pressing close to 15lbs.
We headed down and fished both sides of the river up and down for a good three hours with out so much as a touch....Does it drive anyone else nuts to hear from another fisherman..."Man, yesterday we took a bunch out of here...and today, nothing!!"  I think that is becoming the story of my year so far....
We then headed down to mid river and fished for awhile with no luck and finished down by Peach road for the sunset...Fished from first light till last...Of course had a blast as usual with the boys...Thank God no one records our conversations or I'm sure we'd be homeless pretty quick...Headed home with a nice hot Tim's coffee and had to sit in the border for a random check for a half an hour....nice way to cool off a coffee...
Anyways, water looked good. Roads cleared up pretty much by afternoon but still allot of snow around....Hope someone else did better then us...

Here's tailout Merc. doing his usual...

Here's Rick, pissed at Merc...just kidding..

This is Grandpa...minding those damn kids again...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 08:19:08 PM by Xgolfman »

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: Mar. 1st Vedder report..
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 08:24:48 PM »

Hi Xgolfman,thanks for the report,may be better luck next time.(MAy be you should start fishing on wednesday instead of thurday :D :D).And yes,i was at the vedder yesterday ;) ;) :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 08:26:26 PM by BIG T »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:01:43 PM »

Maybe you should be taking up golfing again  ;D (Just kidding !) Nice pictures.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:43:21 PM »

thx for the report!! Excellent pics!
weeeeeeeeeow!

J.G.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 10:20:09 PM »

A friend of mine hooked up twice today, on the fly. Once up top, the other down low.

Thor has many years experience........and his approach is probably the best. Very simple. ........I'm assuming he was who were talking about tubing fish.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »

A friend of mine hooked up twice today, on the fly. Once up top, the other down low.

Thor has many years experience........and his approach is probably the best. Very simple. ........I'm assuming he was who were talking about tubing fish.

No, older guy was using a cp and a sage 3113m with 15lb leaders...

I was in Reaction and heard about Thor, I think a spey would be a good way to fish um in this cold water. I think I'm honestly not fishing deep enough. I watched the old guys and they are NOT short floating and they are catching the fish, NOT snagging either...with the water the color it's been and colder temps..38* makes very lethargic fish...then i'm starting to think a heavy sink tip along the bottom might be one of the best producers out there...

J.G.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »

XG....... IMO......Short floating works in certain situations. Particularly in the lower end of the river, where the fish are more aggressive, and the runs are softer. In the upper end of the river, or in generally faster water, pencil lead is the ticket. Rig your lead on a small piece of tubing, which is attached to a small (#12) snap swivel, that runs on your mainline. Make sure you use a small green bead as a bumper between your knot and your sliding piece of lead. This gives you the ultimate in sensitivity and the ability to get down fast. These fish will not move far to take an offering. So you want to be right on bottom, and put "it" right in front of their noses. Because you are fishing right on bottom, you may want to use a lure that is neutrally buoyant. Not a corky as they will ride to high up in the water Column. But say, wool and a jensen egg, plain wool with some scent, the deadly colorado blade,pink worms, or if using roe bags, tie in some foam so that they float off bottom a little better. But at this time of the year, nothing works as well as ghost shrimp. They just take some work to get.
These guys aren't snagging bottom because they are "tight lining". You will notice that they have constant tension on their gear throughout the entire drift. Your float will not go down when you have a strike, you will feel it in your rod. This is the direct opposite as short floating. In a sense this is a glorified version of bottom bouncing. You take the best of both worlds ( bottom bouncing / float fishing ) and combine them. Using this technique, your float acts as nothing more than an indicator as to where your line enters the water. It also helps keep your angle from bottom to surface closer to vertical. Where as bottom bouncing the angle of your line from bottom to surface is closer to 45 degrees. Fishing faster, pocket type water without a float is a recipe for disaster. You just don't have the control that you do with a float. Just remember......if you aren't touching bottom, you aren't where the fish are. If spring ever comes, and the water warms up, any technique will work, but for now, this is your best bet.

The heavy sink tip does work, in certain runs. We have been catching fish on the fly throughout the season. But it has been hit and miss because of water conditions. If you want to put fish on the beach........use the technique described, where you seen these fish caught. The upper river should be getting plugged full of steelhead over the course of the next few weeks. When we were gear fishing, we considered the upper river the "holy water".

Ribwart

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 10:52:16 AM »

Our group of four fished from almost first light.

One of our group, landed two fish in the second pool we drifted through. He went through the pool first in the rotation and landed a nice big wild buck, slightly colored, then walked around to the back of the line and took one in the fast water at the head of the pool. As it was a hatch doe, he bonked it and watched us fish for a few hours and off for home he went...the rest of us fished hard through a lot of really nice water, lower, mid and upper river, but didn't see or touch another fish all day.

Snow fell periodically, and it was a perfect day weather wise, absolutely beautiful out there. Days like this are the kind I hope for, nothing like it, being on the river feels like home for me, despite the skunko as far as fish are concerned...We were schooled...!!!! LoL  ;D 

The river was in perfect shape, I don't think it gets much better than the way it is now...

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:13:02 PM by Ribwart »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »

thanks J.G. I'll give some of that a shot...Almost time for me to break out the fly gear too but for some reason i'm having way too much fun with my pin....

Ribwart, what was your friend using and how did he fish it????

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 02:59:22 PM »

I agree Rib, I can't remember seing the river in better shape than it is right now, yesterday was an amazing day !! it was so nice just to be out enjoying it, and we saw some awesome water too... but alas no fish :(

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Ribwart

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 03:08:17 PM »

Short floated jumbo roe bags, secret recipe, in a slick in fast water, both fish...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 03:15:29 PM by Ribwart »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 03:54:16 PM »

Short floated jumbo roe bags, secret recipe, in a slick in fast water, both fish...

Hehehehehehe Golfman, its the same recipe i have ..... I have been into 9 fish allready since using this secret recipe

How come i'm not seeing any of them roe bags??? I thought I had an endless supply till we worked off that damn vest... :'(

Ribwart

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 03:59:01 PM »

LoL...no giving up the secret recipe, even if you give him some of those roe bags freak, we cannot give up the secret... ;) Especially since it is my recipe too.... 8)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 04:07:48 PM »

LoL...no giving up the secret recipe, even if you give him some of those roe bags freak, we cannot give up the secret... ;) Especially since it is my recipe too.... 8)

Well I used some of those Freak Bags and I can tell you they don't catch fish, my chum roe however seems to work just fine !!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »

I almost forgot, Paul asked me to post this pic from yesterday... I think it is very artistic  ;D ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........