- 15 (50%)
rubber sleeve
- 3 (10%)
lead? I don't need no stinking lead!!
- 2 (6.7%)
slinkys
- 1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Lead debate...what do you use???  (Read 5359 times)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Lead debate...what do you use???
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 05:14:02 PM »

ive used that way rid explains. i dont really my self. I fish with the weight dangling, it when fighting a fish it can damage your leader as well.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 05:21:57 PM »

Here's a method that hasn't been mentioned yet that I have been using since the beginning...

-Tie your leader to your swivel, but leave a tag end after the knot is tied, usually an inch of tag end is more than enough, then tie your mainline to the swivel.

- Next, take your hollow core pencil lead coil and break off the desired length and slide it flush to the swivel onto the tag end of the leader knot. Crimp once or twice lightly on the first centimeter of lead right below the swivel , and then once more right at the swivel. the key is in how much you crimp the weight, you want it not too tight, but not lose enough that it flies off when you cast.

Usually if you snag up somehow, just the weight slides off the tag end and everything else comes back to you. If you need to change the amount of weight you're using to adjust to particular flow conditions, just carefully pull the lead off the tag end with steady pressure, usually it comes right off if you crimped it right. Then cut a new piece of lead accordingly and just slide it back on the tag end and crimp it just like the first time.

It takes a little bit of practice to get the desired level of crimping just right, but in my opinion it is by far the most efficient and user friendly way to do it. Saves a lot of time too, I've tried the other methods and they don't compare with this one, it's the best all purpose method I've been able to come up with.

As for short floating, I prefer not to be ticking bottom much at all. Some fish will take way up off the bottom, others won't. I like to find bottom and then adjust so that my presentation is 1-3 feet up, depending on the terminal item and the nature of the water being fished.

Try this method of rigging your lead...you'll never go back.

rib

I do that sometimes as well

That's what I have been doing for years!! ;) :)  It works well, but sometimes I do change it up a bit!!  The rubber tubing worked good for me this weekend!! :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »

You might want to add bouncing betty as a choice :(  the sphere is perfect for getting the least resistance in the water. Therefore getting down quicker than disco dan, with bouncy betty.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 10:07:05 PM »

I like to use pencil lead, I find on rivers like the Vedder, getting your presentation down right away to be important.  The way I rig it is I use a #12 Black w/ interlock snap swivel, I then pierce a hole through a small piece of tubing and attach the tubing to the snap.  I only use just over 1 cm of tubing.  Lead goes in the tubing obviously and I thead my mainline through the eye of the snap swivel and then tie on a #12 Black Barrel swivel.  You can also put a small bead on above the barrel swivel to act as a bumper but I havent found that it makes any difference.