Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking to organize a Parent-Child Fishing event for my work  (Read 1396 times)

nigglesworth

Looking to organize a Parent-Child Fishing event for my work
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:08:11 AM »

I am looking to organize a Parent-Child fishing weekend for the organization I work for.  If anyone can suggest specific lodges, or links to online resources it would be greatly appreciated.

We are looking to run the event in the summer of 2008 and need a location that can hold 16-24 couples.  We are looking for a location that can highlight BC's amazing fishing opportunities but are also receptive to working a younger audience.  I have not decided the exact age group yet, but these are the 3 age groups I am working with at the moment.  (9-11, 12-14, 15-18).  I would prefer to work with one of the two younger groups if at all possible.  While we do have a budget, I would prefer not to blow the majority of it on travel to extremely remote locations.  If you know of, or have had any experiences with Lodges that could handle a group of this size, I would love to hear about it! 

Also, we are not restricted to BC, so if you have any other suggestions located in North America, I would certainly love to hear about them.  I guess I am a little biased as I live in Vancouver and am constantly awed by the fishing opportunities in this province.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Looking to organize a Parent-Child Fishing event for my work
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:23 PM »

I have two suggestions for you:

TeePee Lakes Camp. Great opportunity to catch lots of fish at an unbeatable price. The only draw back might be your time frame. Email euekacamp@home.com

Sun Valley Trout Park. www.camping-fishing-bc.com
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:11:09 PM »

nigglesworth, there are hundreds of destinations that can accommodate your needs but I have only been to some, so here is my first choice if I were you. Since it is a parent-child fishing trip, I would think the following factors are important:

1) Safety.
2) Constant fishing action, with fish size that the kids are capable to handle.
3) Other activities that both parents and children can participate when they are bored of fishing.

By keeping these in mind, I would suggest Lakeside Gardens on Salt Spring Island where we have been going back every summer. Although the fish species (mainly smallmouth bass and yellow perch, and the odd cutthroat trout) in St Mary's Lake (where the resort is located) are not signature species of BC's fishery, the fishing between May and September can be fantastic and really enjoyable for all. The smallmouth bass are generally between 1 to 3lb, the yellow perch are a couple hundred grams, the cutthroat trout can be anywhere between 1 and 4lb. The fishing is consistent, can either be done from shore (pier, beach, rocks) or boats.

There are three types of accommodations available at the resort:

1) Cottages: They are good for 4 to 6 people, four cottages are available.
2) Cabanas: They are good for 2 to 3 people, about a dozen are available.
3) Campsites: For tents and campers, about six sites are available.

The accommodation is rustic, but very comfortable, a mix of luxury and the wilderness experience.

Other activities:

The nearby ocean piers can be good for fishing as well, mainly for flounders, perch and some crabbing. Shellfishing is available, if there is an opening. There are also a couple of nearby smaller lakes for the more dedicated fishermen in the group. The island has many farms, vineyards, art galleries where you can travel to if fishing becomes boring. The Saturday artist market is good. The provincial parks are also great for hiking etc.

Website: http://www.saltspring.com/lakesidegardens/Default.htm

Because Lakeside Gardens has been an advertiser on this website since the beginning, Mark the owner offers discounts to forum members. If you have a big group, let him know that you are a member and I'm sure he can work out a good price for you.

Other than this, I don't really have other recommendations. Most of our fishing outings are done with camping or hotels involved, we've never really done lodge-style fishing trips, so others maybe able to fill in. :)

Good luck.

nigglesworth

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:45:06 PM »

Thank you Rodney + newsman for the info!  I will be looking into it.

Rodney, I am actually going to get married on Salt Spring this spring... It is a wonderful place!  I wish I knew about Lakeside Gardens two months ago!

For the rest of you, please keep them coming...

We are trying to attract members from across North America so I will need something with a little flair.  And since I will be "forced" to go for "WORK", I might as well find something I wouldn't be able to do otherwise. I also plan to go to the Sportsman Show this weekend in hopes of finding a few options.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!