Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead in the ocean  (Read 8434 times)

bcguy

Steelhead in the ocean
« on: February 05, 2007, 12:37:44 PM »

Okay, so if steelhead are a searun version of a rainbow, has anyone ever caught one in the ocean?
I have never caught one in the ocean, nor has anyone else I've spoken to, some with 30+ years of fishing the coast.
Any thoughts one this one?
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead in the ocean
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 12:49:06 PM »

I worked on a commercial boat and we caught 2 in our gill net over the space of 2 months.  Both were released.

They represent such a small percentage of the ocean going salmonid population that its no surprise that we catch so very few at sea.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 01:07:29 PM »

I believe their migratory route in the ocean differs from the other salmonid so they are not usually in the same area as sports fisherman or the commercial fisherman until they come closer into shore when its time to spawn.  Because they spawn in the early spring  there isn't a whole lot of  sports fishing being done and no commercial salmon fishing being done.

Commercial chum fishing is a big part of the ongoing debate regarding the Thompson steelies and whether or not it should be closed to allow escapement .

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:19:51 PM »

I believe their migratory route in the ocean differs from the other salmonid so they are not usually in the same area as sports fisherman or the commercial fisherman until they come closer into shore when its time to spawn.  Because they spawn in the early spring  there isn't a whole lot of  sports fishing being done and no commercial salmon fishing being done.

Steelhead are known offshore fish. BC fish have been known to travel as far out as the coast of Kamchatka.
Actions speak louder than words.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »

I know of 2 steelhead that were killed where I work in the Charlottes thinking they were coho in the past 4 years. One was 8 lbs, the other was apparently around 15 lbs. The fight was meant to be amazing too.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Blue Heron

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 05:01:16 PM »

One of the guides I knew in Rivers Inlet caught an 8 - 10 pound steely trolling a pink herring clip.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 06:53:10 PM »

Gary Coopers Fishing Diary had an episode with kids years back and they caught one out in the chuck.
Never seen one caught below Mission but have seen many caught above.
I think they are travelling the middle of the river and booting along with the incoming tides.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »

I was told that they get them below the Patello as well!!  I didn't believe it until I got one barfing the lower!!  Wasn't big, but a real nice fight and was about 7-8 lbs or so. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »

Okay, so if steelhead are a searun version of a rainbow, has anyone ever caught one in the ocean?
I have never caught one in the ocean, nor has anyone else I've spoken to, some with 30+ years of fishing the coast.
Any thoughts one this one?

Over the years I've guided in the Charlottes, I recall having 3 to my boat. 2 of the 3 were bonked by my guests. A 10, 12, and one about 14 (released).

Fight wasn't so hot or outstanding, a Medium Heavy 10'6" Mooching Rod. They fight like a fresh Coho in the chuck---pound for pound about the same.

Every last one on Cut Plug Herring.

I also know of 1 caught locally in the chuck about 6 years ago by a charter firm. it was bonked----about 11 lbs. I think it was March.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 07:26:23 PM by FISHIN MAGICIAN »
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 11:41:08 PM »

My dad caught one at Chemainus or Crofton many many years ago.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »

I'm goin out on a limb here, but i remember reading the record steelhead (weight) was caught in the chuck, near alaska.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 05:32:06 PM »

Well spotted IH8XC, I remember reading it somewhere, and a quick search revealed this little story:

After many delays, such as flying experts to Alaska's Bell Island to check scales, and all sorts of other problems, David's fish now stands as the IGFA record rainbow. David isn't impressed. As he noted, "I don't remember anything special. It took about 35 to 40 minutes to land the fish. He was still fighting when Dad netted him. He was blind in one eye. So when he swam by the boat he couldn't see the net."

Dr. White, David's father, remembers it a bit differently. He notes, "A lot of people thought we were crazy. We often fished together out of our Avon." On the day in question the whole family was aboard. Dr. White ran the outboard. David and his two brothers perched on the center seat with, as his father says, "the bare minimum of pushing, shoving and elbowing after being cooped up in a chartered Beaver (small bush plane.)" David's mother and sister huddled in the covered bow out of the spray.

As they trolled the Glory Hole off the resort, David got what Dr. White called, "the big hit." The fish ran out of current into slack water and a long slogging struggle began. David couldn't hold the fish, but when he tried to give up, his dad threatened to put David's brothers on the rod to share the glory. David held on. He'd rest one arm and reel with the other. By the time the fish hit Dr. White's net it was dark. So, when Alaskan Fish and Game weighted the huge fish at the dock, it won the salmon derby. Dr. White wanted to steak and eat the fish because it wouldn't fit into their coolers. The lodge owner convinced Dr. White that David would probably never catch a bigger salmon and suggested the fish be boxed and frozen for the taxidermist. So nobody saw the fish in daylight. After an IGFA investigation, the fish was certified as the world record Rainbow at 42 pounds, 2 ounces. Twenty years later, David still isn't impressed.

http://www.finefishing.com/1saltfish/southeast/heavyweightrecords.htm (near the bottom)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 06:53:10 PM »

in the queen charlottes when i worked on a commercial troller we would get one every trip of ten days over the summer. usually on a hoochie and flasher or spoon.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!