Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a quick product evaluation ie temple fork rods  (Read 6732 times)

allwaysfishin

a quick product evaluation ie temple fork rods
« on: February 01, 2007, 11:08:39 AM »

as many of you know.... Myself and Capt Bonk have taken up positions running the fishing departments for Steveston Marine Hardware's Langley and dwntwn Vancouver locations. This had led me to start to check out a lot of products to diversify our inventories. One of those products that has been on my mind has been new rods. Due to dealer proximity restrictions you probably won't see high end like Sage, Loomis ect on our store rod racks. So... we have searched other avenues to find quality rods, with warranties, at a reasonable price for the consumer. One of these that i was looking at was the Temple Fork drift rods. I took a CT3106 out for my trip to the Stamp and I am impressed. I am pretty fickle about what rods i use and for me to put down my trusty sage was hard.. hehehe.
Anyhow, I am going to give the temple Fork 3106 a raving review, nice rod, and worth every penny of the couple hundred bucks it retails for. I found it to be comfortable to cast all day long from the boat and fighting chrome bullets from the stamp was a real pleasure with this rod.
for those of you looking to get into a quality steelhead/salmon  rod at far less than the price of the other high end rods, with similar warranties, check out the temple forks at a shop near you.

anyone else around here fish any of the temple fork drift rods??? I'd be interested to hear your experiences as well.

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: a quick product evaluation ie temple fork rods
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:18:30 PM »

I got a TFO CP3106.  I got a great deal on it awhile ago at Berry's when they were clearing them out.  Lifetime warranty.  A good thing too as I snapped 6" off the tip earlier this year on a chum on the Chehalis.  $30 and about a week and a half later, brand new rod!  As to performance, works very well.  Sensitive tip, enough backbone to land a 20lb spring easily earlier this year as well as a few bigger ones  (don't want to do that too often though.  Oh wait, lifetime warranty!  ;D) and not too heavy.  I like it a lot and for the price I paid, well worth the money.
President Club S. C. & P.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 01:50:56 PM »

I used to be a fly snob when it came to their rods...then I handled one and am quite impressed..I would bet any amount of money that 98% of the guys out there wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a TFO and a sage or gloomis blank if they felt them..
You order some in, I'd be very interested in a 2106 or such pin model, if they make one..

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 02:01:25 PM »

i'll check on that xgolfman, i know at our langley location we have a couple 3106 and a couple 3113.... you'd have to check with capt bonk on the exact models we have in stock. I'll be ordering a few more rods and the 2106 will be on the list if it is availlable.

okies, just finished glancing through the catolog and yes, a pin rod is availlable in 2106.
I'll be placing orders in a few days  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 02:11:53 PM by allwaysfishin »

norm_2

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 02:52:07 PM »

Hi Thomas, I went on their web site and no BC rods are listed.  Is there a site to get the action, line, weight info?  Or can you post that info somehow?  Thanks.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »

hi norm2

here are the rod specs
baitcast:
C2106 -6#-15#, 1/4-3/4 oz
C3106 -6#-20#, 1/4 - 1 oz
C3113 - 8#- 20#, 1/4 - 1 1/4 oz
C4110 - 10# - 25#, 3/8 - 1 1/2 oz
C4120 - 8# - 25# , 3/8 - 1 1/2oz

Centerpin models don't list lure ratings but are probably equivalent to above, line ratings differ slightly
CP2106 -  6# - 12#
CP3106 - 10# - 20#
CP3113 - 8# - 15#

although.... I do notice now that these rods are only covered under a 1 year warranty, not like the fly rods which carry a lifetime warranty....... kind of a bummer.... but still, nice rods

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »

hi norm2

here are the rod specs
baitcast:
C2106 -6#-15#, 1/4-3/4 oz
C3106 -6#-20#, 1/4 - 1 oz
C3113 - 8#- 20#, 1/4 - 1 1/4 oz
C4110 - 10# - 25#, 3/8 - 1 1/2 oz
C4120 - 8# - 25# , 3/8 - 1 1/2oz

Centerpin models don't list lure ratings but are probably equivalent to above, line ratings differ slightly
CP2106 -  6# - 12#
CP3106 - 10# - 20#
CP3113 - 8# - 15#

although.... I do notice now that these rods are only covered under a 1 year warranty, not like the fly rods which carry a lifetime warranty....... kind of a bummer.... but still, nice rods

Hi Thomas,is it all the new T.F.O. drift rod only come with 1 year warranty now?But i thought it was life time warranty? And why the baitcasting 3113 and the c.p. 3113 line rated difference,is it difference blanks they use? Thanks
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 03:21:20 PM by BIG T »

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 03:24:39 PM »

Not really sure Big T.... I'll make some inquiries when i speak to the company rep, but the catolog does say that the casting models and the ocean rods are 1 year warranty.... I was under the impression they were lifetime but i suppose not.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »

This is funny, you'll have a huge order now we know about it.. ;D would you think the 2106 or 3106 a better pin rod for vedder water? I have a 3113 m sage and would like a lighter rod for ho's and steelies...

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 03:46:56 PM »

personally i wouldnt own a temple fork rod, there junk. the most returned rod to hub sports
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 04:00:24 PM »

that's probably because they were being used to BB the fraser hehehe
regardless, it's good to hear from ALL experiences..... I'll give Roger at Hubs a call and see if I can get the scoop on what those return issues were all about and which models.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:02:32 PM by allwaysfishin »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 04:42:39 PM »

personally i wouldnt own a temple fork rod, there junk. the most returned rod to hub sports

old or new?? The new stuff, speaking for fly blanks mainly..have been as good as any offshore producted stick...don't know really anything about the gear stuff but would assume they'd be the same...

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 04:47:56 PM »

i did hear that there was issues with the C4120's but most of those were being sold to guys BB'ing the fraser who wanted a sage 4120 but didn't want to fork out the $$$ associated with sage. Merc and i where just discussing that as he was just in the shop having a chat.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 07:01:21 PM »

i did hear that there was issues with the C4120's but most of those were being sold to guys BB'ing the fraser who wanted a sage 4120 but didn't want to fork out the $$$ associated with sage. Merc and i where just discussing that as he was just in the shop having a chat.

Don't sell him anything...he has enough already and is just trying to get back at us..

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 07:07:01 PM »

I'm thinking of a TFO CP2106..... ;D
President Club S. C. & P.