Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jet boat  (Read 13055 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: jet boat
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 01:34:48 AM »

yes where is tnt for comment on this issue as to what had happened out there,i'm curiuos how do you flip a jet boat,glad to hear know one was hurt or killed but i'm sure after this incident that people will be on the ball a little more.

cheers

scruffy
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:38:09 AM by scruffy »

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 01:42:04 AM »

I wonder if it was a Thunder Jet?  Was thinking of getting one, :-\ was, but now I don't know. Sounds pretty scary, think I'll stick with the kayak it's got real shallow draft. Glad everyone is OK.
i know how you feel as I'm trying to get as much info as possible about all the types of boats out there and of course to find out what really happened on the river was it human error or the boat, cause when your gonna spend 50 large you want to know everything possible.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 06:57:52 AM »

Scruffy, I was in your same shoes last year.  I finally narrowed things down on the internet and then went to a couple boat shows.  You can arrange test drives, climb inside boats, compare prices, etc.  At one show I was at, the Thunder jets were right next to the Weldcrafts.  I went back and forth between the two boats a million times.  the Thunderjet had the really cheap price point, and the Weldcraft was selling on construction.  Both booths had deconstructed boats to look at welds and hull construction.  Taking all that into consideration and driving both, I finally chose the Weldcraft.  I am still giddy with my purchase and love the boat.  Good luck on your search and have fun. 

tnt

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 08:06:46 AM »

unfortunatley I did have to stay out of the limelight for a little while until I composed myself after reading what the reporter had said. as for no comments from TNT marine, well its hard to give a comment when they contact my business at 9PM on a sunday.

we have been constantly trying to contact the province to get this matter resolved,

as for the boat that had the mishap, I cannot go into to deep of details because I was not there, it was a grim day on the water when the call came through. the boat was actually with us sturgeon fishing, after running up river to have a look at the rapids they began to turn around and a wave took over the bow.pulling the nose under,
the fellow is extremely educated in boating and one of the fellows instructs the power squadron

as for the help they recieved, their mustang life vest saved their lives,the two men climbed up onto the highway trying to flag down vehicles when finally a police officer driving his route found them, the other man was resqued by one of the boats in the group.

We really have to thank the people who were involved on this run to help the guys out, boats can be replaced but lives cant, is ity a wake up call for sure, do we always practice safe and courteous boating?? of course we do. will we offer this run to anyone with little experience from now on , no way

we definatly have to change what happens on the water and how we look out for each other,

could this have happened to any boat out there of course it can,

if anyone would like to talk to any member of run you can contact me directly at 604-857-5387

will we go up the canyon again? of course we will, we got back up on our bikes when we wiped out when we were younger, we get back in our cars after accidents.

we do have to be very grateful that someone was looking out for the people that were in the accident.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

tnt

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 08:50:33 AM »

Fishfreak, even when looking at the whitewater from below sometimes a rouge wave rolls past you that be 4-5 feet high, its pretty common, I think they probably turned right when a wave like that was coming, its really hard to say what happened, you have to be on the ball when dealing with that sort of current.

A lot of boats get lost each year on the fraser and on the smaller tributaries in the valley, you just dont hear about them, look at how many boats the upper pitt takes each year.

All we can be grateful for is that everyone helped each other out, and no one was seriosly injured.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »

Just read the article in river jet magazine ,if the water looked to scary to go up why would anyone attempt it, in my opinion if some people (experienced) wouldn't try it there must be a reason and something should of been said at that point, being a group thing  i realized there were guys from various experience levels to teach new boaters the ways on the river from that point it's about the safety and not who can get there first but for some it's an ego thing i guess.Either that or these people who did attempt that part of the run must have lots of money because  they didn't care about their safety then until it was to late.

cheers scruffy

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »

Same with wading a treacherous piece of water. Common sense says you shouldn't do it but unfortunately there is a small percentage who is willing to try. Some make it, some don't.

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 05:43:33 PM »

Intresting to hear the reaction of some people regarding boy's and there toy,s, no differance in sinking a 50K jet on the Fraser than flipping a 50K truck up some mountain where there aint been a road for 10 years(and I would bet there are a lot more of those then swamped jet boats) , we all learn from ours and others mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 06:01:55 PM by freddy2596 »