Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why leave the river?????  (Read 3014 times)

steelynightmare

why leave the river?????
« on: January 27, 2007, 08:18:14 AM »

Just wondering the real reason for having to leave the river after you catch and  kill a hatch fish. I realize that its in the regs but is there any, perhaps scientific reasoning behind it. It seems like as long as you release anything after that fish it shouldn't really make any difference. Stress on the next fish would be eliminated but come on gimme a break, we can catch and release as many fish in the course of a day we want, why isn't it that after you catch any fish you you don't have to leave the river?? ???

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: why leave the river?????
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 10:46:09 AM »

Those are just the rules...

The vedder had a 2 hatch limit for awhile, but that law was rescinded  due to complaints from anglers about negative fishing situations, crowding, and fish hogs.

If you want to catch and release, just do that.... There's nothing wrong with it...

But if you kill a fish you must leave the river, and let others have a crack, salmon season is the same, except you are allowed a combo of 4 before you are forced to quit.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 11:03:41 AM »

I don't think the regulations call for your leaving the river. It requires you to stop fishing that system for the day. If you go with a buddy and you bonk a hatchery steelhead, you can still accompany your buddy while he fishes but you can't.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:14:39 PM »

I don't think the regulations call for your leaving the river. It requires you to stop fishing that system for the day. If you go with a buddy and you bonk a hatchery steelhead, you can still accompany your buddy while he fishes but you can't.

That's my understanding too..and I've seen plenty of guys do just that...either release um or walk around with your buds...you don't have to leave...

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 12:45:25 PM »

i have only heard of this rule being applied to steelhead fisheries.... and the reasoning is to support a "quality" fishery and increase angler oportunity. have never heard of it relating to any salmon fisheries.... unless i missed that in the regs. this is a rule that should also be applied to the fraser sockeye/spring fishery but most won't agree... and please .. not trying to open a debate with that comment  ;D

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 12:50:41 PM »

i have only heard of this rule being applied to steelhead fisheries.... and the reasoning is to support a "quality" fishery and increase angler oportunity. have never heard of it relating to any salmon fisheries.... unless i missed that in the regs. this is a rule that should also be applied to the fraser sockeye/spring fishery but most won't agree... and please .. not trying to open a debate with that comment  ;D
Under the Freshwater Regulation,you are right on Thomas.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:32:31 PM »

In region 2, the angler must cease fishing after reaching his or her daily quota of steelhead. For salmon fishing, the angler can continue fishing after retaining his or her daily quota of fish.

The reasoning behind the steelhead regulation has already been answered in the above replies. It is certainly a good one, which reduces angling pressure on a busy system such as the Chilliwack River. Perhaps it should be done for salmon too. For Fraser River sockeye, I would really hate to see anglers choose to catch and release 10s of fish before retaining his or her daily quota of two fish if such implementation comes in effect.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 07:13:26 PM »

Is that true, I can still fish after bonking 4 coho?

Wow cool, and all this time I just packed up and went home when the limit was reached... I always thought that was against the rules.

Thanks for clarifying!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Mike D.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:58:28 PM »

I don't think anyone has stated yet that once you bonk your steel and leave the river, you can still fish other rivers...but once you bonk 2 hatch steel 1 off of each system than you must stop fishing for the day....as 2 is the daily limit in Region 2.

Mike <")))))><

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:14:43 PM »

Would love to see this rule, especially during the sock opening!  Two then leave. I think that this would reduce the crowds dramatically!