Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Etiquete  (Read 13753 times)

frenchy

Re: Vedder Etiquete
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 10:35:06 AM »

I fish the Vedder for a bit more than one year now... I am a newbie to this river but nobody had to learn me any etiquette (nor that I have to keep moving). IMO it is just common sense, say hello, never fish a run downstream someone...
I hate when someone arrives and starts to fish downstream than me. It happens on the Vedder, but it also happens on other rivers. Of course if you are the only guy to fish a river, it won't happen... But as soon as there are a few guys, you see this behavior. And if this does not happen up north... Well I think I should take the first plane, I would really like to fish in these conditions.
And after seeing people "fishing" for salmon I really consider that Vedder steelheaders have some kind of "etiquette".

Ribwart

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »

I like to pick "paths" or "routes" down the river...meaning, choose an area of the river where I can fish down through a succession of varying types of holding water. Usually I find the distance covered can vary quite a bit anywhere from 1 km and up, sometimes way up... I will come to the end of this route, and step out and hike back up to where I started. Once at the beginning, I can opt to go through again or move on.
The interesting thing is, if you follow this pattern of fishing or anything similar, you never run into any problems unless someone who is parked in a spot, takes offence. Fishing on the move, you can vary the amount of time you spend on different types of water, and stay in sequence a suitable distance behind the anglers in front of you. Everybody fishes the same water, and nobody is bumping into each other...smooth.  ;)

Having said that, I have no problem with someone staying in one spot for the day. I do however, expect that if I can tolerate that way of fishing, then, in return, they should tolerate mine. What really needs to be said here is, when fishing the vedder, if your fishing "on the move", so to speak,  and wanting to fish through a run with stationary anglers present, indicate your intent, politely and to the point. If you're staying put, fishing stationary, and see anglers fishing their way down to you, recognize they are fishing on the move,  be patient, let them fish through, they won't be there long... ;)  Then enjoy the rest of your day.

There have been days when I have fished stationary, usually it is when I have gone fishing with people that are very old or very young, or incapacitated in some way. Less suited to what can be a fairly rigorous style of fishing. In these cases anglers fished through and everything went smoothly. I would ask my fishing partners if they wanted to break for a coffee and out came the thermous. I'd then motion to those fishing on the move, to go ahead and fish through. In what usually lasts all of 5 minutes, and maybe 5-10 casts per person all of over the pool, rarely casting to the same spot twice, the anglers would work their way down and through.

It works just fine as long as anglers understand the difference in the styles of fishing, and regardless of which one they choose to employ, they recognize how things need to be done in order for the two styles to interact. As long as people begin to accept that, things will improve. Keep an eye on the anglers around you, recognize the style of fishing they are employing, and act accordingly. Don't be afraid to politely interact. Accounts of events after the fact, discribing so called heated confrontations on the river, more often than not are skewed in both directions, and do little good to solve the problem.
My 2 cents,
rib
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 11:38:15 AM by Ribwart »

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 11:53:40 AM »

Just make a long story short. Fish whatever style you want.  Respect others ;)

steelheadjunkie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 12:11:08 PM »

To make a long story even shorter.......Rotational Angling is the way you fish on any river for steelhead. AS PER THE REGULATIONS. Those unfamiliar with the Freshwater Synopsis should make sure they read this little book when they purchase a license, it stops you from breaking the law.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 12:53:12 PM »

True dat cammer, and I agree with you JG, I wish rotational angling was the law during steelhead season.

I rarely hang around a run more than 45 minutes, even shorter on a small run. I take a small step every swing to work the entire run, then move on to the next. The key is finding a willing biter...

Its really difficult to spey fish when one guy is a statue in the best part of the run.

When you move below him youve lost about 30 feet of the run with the casting and sinking of the fly, which sucks.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »

Just beware.... no matter which Vedder River method you choose to fish with in the lower mainland you won't be able to take the stationary or jumping in (corking ) front of someone method to other rivers in B.C.  You won't be able to tell these fishermen that's the way we do it at the Vedder.  They just won't understand!  The excuse will not work.  Even dropping in below someone as much as a 100 yards can be too close on some rivers especially if it's a tailout and will get you the evil eye or a mouthful of discontent.  Be sure you know the proper etiquette and you'll have no proplems at all.  No sense risking  having a bad day.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »

Seems to me that the Vedder is a large enough river that if you do happen to lose 30 or 40 ft. of water because of a stationary person or object its not the end of the world. What it really comes back to is what JG stated in his title, "etiquete" or as I prefer, respect. I, myself prefer to move around a bit when steelheading because as we all know to have the best amount of success its better to find them than wait for them to find U. But if I'm with a group of friends and just hangiing or with someone not quite as mobile then I don't mind enjoying the day, the sunshine, laughter and friendship and staying in one spot. Those who don't like it or can't accept it, too bad. I'm sorry that due to your percieved notions about "etiquete" I and the people I'm with are in your way. You must have a hell of a time driving. I will certainly respect your right to fish through if you'd like but if I've been there fishing for the past 2 hours without success I wish you luck. At any rate do not become mouthy or belligerent as it only takes away from you what could've been a good day. Good Fishing Everyone. :D

J.G.

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »

Just beware.... no matter which Vedder River method you choose to fish with in the lower mainland you won't be able to take the stationary or jumping in (corking ) front of someone method to other rivers in B.C.  You won't be able to tell these fishermen that's the way we do it at the Vedder.  They just won't understand!  The excuse will not work.  Even dropping in below someone as much as a 100 yards can be too close on some rivers especially if it's a tailout and will get you the evil eye or a mouthful of discontent.  Be sure you know the proper etiquette and you'll have no proplems at all.  No sense risking  having a bad day.

So very true..........

J.G.

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 02:17:23 PM »

I see we have two different camps on this forum. The anglers who fish nothing but the Vedder and other local rivers. And a few other anglers that have seemed to broaden their horizon's and have found that there is more to angling than the Vedder has to offer.
Since everyone starts on the Vedder, doesn't it make sense to learn the proper etiquette there as well? Thus, avoiding altercations later on different systems.

J.G.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 02:19:03 PM »

It's been like that for 25 years, that I know of.

Too me it seems as if it is getting worse......

It's getting worse, and spreading to other rivers throughout the province..........

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 02:29:08 PM »

I've fish the Stamp, Gold and made it out to the Thompson my usual two times this year (wish it could of been more) and fished in more places than I can shake a stick at. As with any forum where theres a large number of people you'll have varying degrees of skill level and experience.

J.G.

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 02:34:33 PM »

With our steelhead stocks dwindling to the point of extinction, and our population growing, the amount of angling pressure increasing......education is what anglers need. With fewer fish, and more people, angler education is sorely needed.

J.G.

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 02:40:41 PM »

True dat cammer, and I agree with you JG, I wish rotational angling was the law during steelhead season.

I rarely hang around a run more than 45 minutes, even shorter on a small run. I take a small step every swing to work the entire run, then move on to the next. The key is finding a willing biter...

Its really difficult to spey fish when one guy is a statue in the best part of the run.

When you move below him youve lost about 30 feet of the run with the casting and sinking of the fly, which sucks.

Cheers,
Nicole

It's too bad the average angler doesn't understand this. Hence, the reason I think there should be more in the way of angler education.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:42:16 PM by J.G. »

Ribwart

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 02:41:57 PM »

Athezone...I think I may have been there to witness your little incident on boxing day...maybe not, either way it seems there is a grey area between the "two camps", as someone so piognantly said it earlier...Like I said, I prefer the "on the move" approach, but tolerate other methods as it seems that's the way the vedder has been for as long as I can remember...either way, I  lay no claim on any rock on any river, and choose a more relaxed approach.  ;)

J.G.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 02:47:06 PM »

The dog and I hooked one yesterday..........