Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favorite game animal...  (Read 15922 times)

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
Favorite game animal...
« on: January 03, 2007, 08:25:33 AM »

What animal (or bird) do you like hunting the most... and why....
When I was 8 my Dad had switched from hunting deer to moose, so when I started going on actual hunting trips (usually a week long) with him it was for moose around the Vanderhoof area...36 years later I have hunted Vanderhoof with family and friends with great success....

I can still remember the first mule deer I shot, a nice 3x3, and when I walked up to it I couldn't understand the thrill people got from deer hunting....the animals looked so small!!!!...Since that first deer I have taken roughly 20 Island deer and 15+ mulies....the thrill I hget the most is still chasing the swamp donkeys...

What gets you cranked going into a season....???

Mike

searun17

• Old Timer
Re: Favorite game animal...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:23:41 PM »

Nothing gets me going more than the predawn bugle of a nearby mature bull elk,it sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 10:26:29 PM »

I actually like to hunt mulies.. by far they are the hardest and smartest animal that i have hunted.. they can be almost anywhere, you have to be at the right time at the right places....  As far as like moose, they are easy when they in heat, you can almost set up anywhere and call them right to you..  Bull elk is another thing that i want get in 2007 love how they bugle...   My hunting plan for the next 5-10 years is to get myself a nice billy, big full curl ram and cougar. IF time is permitted, i would like to do a African safari for Kudu, springbuck and maybe a cape buffalo.  Also want to go to New Mexico for some bird shooting... 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:57:20 AM by Steelhead King »

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 07:24:26 AM »

S.K....
Big plans man!!!!

Good luck on your journey....

Mike

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:58:46 PM »

love hunting ducks mostly, though i like deer hunting as well. got into bow hunting 2  years ago and i love it, havent shot anything but ive gotten very accurate to about 50-60 yards, its the best kind of hunting IMO
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 02:00:53 PM »

My favorite game animals are about 5"5", 120lbs and blonde!! ;D ;D  But seriuosly, I am sure you guys wuold have loved to get a shot at this!!  These shots were taken right after the thing came charging up river on us and actually made us run for cover cause he didn't look like he was going to stop!! ;D

Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

nosey

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 08:28:06 AM »

My favorite used to be duck hunting until my wife quit pulling the feathers out of them, that took a lot of the fun out of them things. :D Now I'm a little insane about blacktail hunting. I hunt thick hardwoods where 60yds. is a long shot and just spend all day sneaking up on things that I have no idea where they are or if they are there at all that day. It's what I call "Elmer Fudding" it, sneaking from tree to tree waiting for that waskelly black tail to blow his cover, usually it's me that blows cover cause with those ears and nose the deer does have the advantage in close going. I've actually snuck to within about 8 yards of one buck without either of us knowing the other was there, he busted me, jumped up out of his bed and and crashed away without giving me a chance to even unshoulder my rifle, I didn't need any store bought urine scent for the rest of that day.
   I've hunted mulies, elk and moose but for me nothing else compares with the stealth you have to use for successfull blacktailing and when I go anywhere to hunt that hasn't got salmonberries to hide the quarry and impede your stalk it kinda feels like cheating to me. ;D ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »

nosey, I am so with ya there man. I have had several VERY successful seasons now with the blacktails, this year i got what looks to be a record book buck... waiting for the drying period for scorable measurements. Not that i trophy hunt, but it is nice to get a wall hanger once in a while. This year I took both my region 2 bucks at less than 20 yards.... the big boy at about 25 feet. I switched to open sights for this year, took some getting used to but it's the way i'll go from now on for blackies.
there's just nothin quite like moving slowly through thick cover, hearing the tap of a hoof, or coming a cross a still steaming pile of deer dung.... knowing you are close.... and then it happens.... he's right there in front of ya..... unaware of your presence. At ranges like 60 yards or less , up close and personal, your body and mind race with adrenaline.... ahhhhh .... is it hunting season yet hehehe

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 06:32:39 PM »

Beaver.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »

Mountain sheep all the way, toughest animal i've encountered!
Fish killer 101

Bone Cross

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 12:12:16 PM »

Mountain Sheep eh younggun? Better go study your animal ID's again.
from a Redneck point of View!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 04:20:46 PM »

what? there are dalls, stones, rockies, and desert, with fannins as an unclassified species and other sub species all through the rockies! North american sheep were thought to have traveled over the russia alaska land bridge after the first ice age, and moved down north america. I have 15 books on sheep and sheep hunting, please dont tell me to go research them, i call the head of sheep biologists every year so we can choose where to hunt, oh and to let u know they aren't a guy she's a girl!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:05:38 AM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 12:01:26 PM »

youngguns got ya there..... ;D

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 03:15:47 PM »

warthog and bush pig...

Quick shooting. lots of fast action and there are dozens around to drill.

A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 03:01:14 AM »

cool, hows the meat taste?

sheep is lovely to me after u work for it for so long and hard!
Fish killer 101