Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boxing Day Derby  (Read 7162 times)

flyrod

• Old Timer
Boxing Day Derby
« on: December 26, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »

I went out today, rather late, 10:30 am in the derby.  Started to fish just above the Allison Pools alongside of the road in a couple of runs but saw nothing.  I bought a new Daiwa Luna 300.  It casts like a dream.  Quite impressed.   I have Calcutta 400 and 401 TE which cast great, but this reel seems easier to cast and can cast farther.  Just waiting to play a steelie on it so I can evaluate the drag system.
Fished below the Allison Pools on the long run there but nothing.  The lower Allison Pool sure has changed.  The side channel obviously took a lot of water during the flood and caused a bar that stands 6 ft above the previous one and extends further down the split than previously.  The large pool at the end of the Allison Pools isn't there any more.
Fished just below the Tamahis Bridge for a bit, but nothing.  Went to the Chilliwack Game & Club House to see the steelies caught. Only 4 hatchery with the largest 13 lb 5 oz.  Stayed for a bit then left before things really got going there.
A short ways down the river from there where the river meets the road, I saw a guy on the other side of the run land a beautiful steelie.  It looked somewhere between 12-14 lbs.  Chrome and silver....awesome, too bad it was an hour after the derby deadline.
I am looking forward to more trips on the river.  Have to learn the runs and pools since all the changes. 

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
Re: Boxing Day Derby
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 04:35:36 PM »

thanx for the report, could not go today family commitments  :( but chomping at the bit to get out, possibly Thurs and Friday. How was the water?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 05:12:27 PM »

thx for the report wonder how other forum members did!
weeeeeeeeeow!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:19:18 PM »

I went out and didnt enter the derby. Ended up hooking up with about a 10lb steelhead, at prison. Lossing it pretty quick after one jump. The funny thing about it was i meesed up my cast and left my worm drifting there and all of a sudden my rod took off and the fish was on. Also fished peach and ended up losing another one after a jump as well.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 05:35:53 PM »

Just got in as staking out a hunting spot for tomorrow. ;D

I see two threads going on this, will take the liberty of posting it here, I will make it brief as tired like many that took part. I will file a complete report, story later in the week.

To start is was wonderful to see so many FWR forum members taking part and having the privilege once again of meeting ones I have known for some time and other new ones including Kingpin and his brother. Kingpin and I spent about 15 minutes chatting mostly about duck hunting. Maybe it was the time we spent together is when I missed catching the Kingfish or was it that the Leaf logo fell off my Maple Leaf Drennan partly through the trip, actually Kingpin pointed it out to me. ;D ;D Once again what a great gang we have here on FWR, so much fun seeing them at a event like this that gives us the chance to mingle together, catching a steelhead to me is secondary to that. Congratulations of course goes to those that did, be it a hatchery, a wild or even the chance to have one on for does make the day complete.

One member, our own Searun much to Big Steel's chagrin landed the first fish of the day a 6.88 pound fish, he had it on the scales at 9:35. Not to be outdone his partner fly guy connected with a 12 pound wild and lost another fish. Guppy was busy guiding the boys into their steelhead, nice work fellows.

The Kingfish was taken by Maple Ridge guide Wade Gienow, a steelhead weighing 13.48 pounds. Well done Wade who is a reader of FWR, maybe he will start posting now. ;D

Todd McIntryre took second with his 10.66 pound fish.

Well known guide Rod Toth took third with a nice clean fish hitting the scales at 8.24 that he took on one of his jigs. I bought 5 before the derby but did not use them, darn it. ???

365 anglers took part with well over $10,000 raised for the real winner of the derby, fish habitat. Thanks to all that could take part, you all made the derby a success and are all winners. Pictures to follow later.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 06:06:41 AM by chris gadsden »

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 05:40:18 PM »

FISHED FROM 7-2

MY BUDDY WADE WON THE DERBY WITH A 13.5 POUND DOE !

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »

FISHED FROM 7-2

MY BUDDY WADE WON THE DERBY WITH A 13.5 POUND DOE !
Yes a nice fish, good to meet you as well.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 06:10:58 PM »

good to meet u again today chris, also ran into adam(ribwart) briefly. fished all day. no luck. slooooow
need a partner for duck hunting tomorrow chris? ;D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 06:26:27 PM »

Had a great time fishing the river the past two days although my float never went down once we found lots of good looking spots for future trips.  Was also great chatting with some of the forum members, highlight of the day was watching a fellow beside me land a beauty 10lb wild.

heres a pic of the derby winners.

got fish

• 7-11 steelhead
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 06:29:27 PM »

Did anyone snap any pictures of the water conditions?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 06:36:42 PM »

water 15-20'' vis below the banks, dont know about upper but imagine over 3 feet
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 06:52:58 PM »

Good to hear a familiar name I know won it. Good job Wade.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 06:58:58 PM »

;D ;D Well searun, guppy and myself hit the check in at lickman at 6:30 and took a walk down to the river to see what the clarity was like and since it was about 12" we decided to stay away from the crowds of the upper and fish mid river. Well it paid off. At about 8:30 a nice little steely hits the pro-cured shrimp but after a short 30 sec fight the hooks pops out. Then at about 9:15 it was searuns turn on a roe bag. The nice steely hammers the roe bag and a little while later he has the hatchery doe on the beach. It gets bonked recorded on the licence and off he goes to the weight in. About a half hour or so goes by and he returns to tell us that his was the first fish of the day. About 1.5 hours later it was my turn again on the shrimp and a nice wild steely at about 12lbs was landed. We took some nice pics and released it back to the wild. It seemed that as the day went on the clarity got better. At around noon or so bigsteel, fish freak and bbronswick came walking into the hole but unfortunatly they had no luck there. Just as we where leaving one of the guys that was fishing there hit a beauty and it was big but just like my first fish the steely had won. It sure would of been nice to see what the weight was on that fish. I will post pics as soon as searun sends them over.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 01:45:53 PM by fly_guy »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 07:00:59 PM »

Just got in as staking out a hunting spot for tomorrow. ;D

I see two threads going on this, will take the liberty of posting it here, I will make it brief as tired like many that took part. I will file a complete report, story later in the week.

To start is was wonderful to see so many FWR forum members taking part and having the privilege once again of meeting ones I have known for some time and other new ones including Kingpin and his brother. Kingpin and I spent about 15 minutes chatting mostly about duck hunting. Maybe it was the time we spent together is when I missed catching the Kingfish or was it that the Leaf logo fell off my Maple Leaf Drennan partly through the trip, actually Kingpin pointed it out to me. ;D ;D Once again what a great gang we have here on FWR, so much fun seeing them at a event like this and even though most of us did not catch a fish it is secondary to mingle with all the forum members.

One member, our own Searun much to Big Steel's chagrin landed the first fish of the day a 6.88 pound fish, he had it on the scales at 9:35. Not to be outdone his partner Fly guy connected with a 12 pound wild and lost another fish. Guppy was busy guiding the boys into their steelhead.

The Kingfish was taken by Maple Ridge guide Wade Gienow, a steelhead weighing 13.48 pounds. Well done Wade who is a reader of FWR, maybe he will start posting now. ;D

Todd McIntryre took second with his 10.66 pound fish.

Well known guide Rod Toth took third with a nice clean fish hitting the scales at 8.24 that he took on one of his jigs. I bought 5 before the derby but did not use them, darn it.

365 anglers took part with well over $10,000 raised for the real winner of the derby, fish habitat. Thanks to all that could take part you all made the derby a success and are all winners. Pictures to follow later.

Hey Ken! Care to own up to the fish that you caught yesterday?

(In confidence, Ken is ready to commit suicide, as he had a winner by a large margin....unfortunately the derby was today and not 2 days ago...sigh)_

My condolences Ken, I know the feeling...
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 07:13:58 PM »

good to meet u again today chris, also ran into adam(ribwart) briefly. fished all day. no luck. slooooow
need a partner for duck hunting tomorrow chris? ;D
e-mail sent