Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NFR: Rocky Balboa, the movie.  (Read 11204 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: NFR: Rocky Balboa, the movie.
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 03:48:46 PM »

WOW....dont remember ever saying that all wrestlers etc. were on roids....just some, which is a fact that you can't dispute...In fact, if you actually read my post without getting all defensive first you would see that I NEVER said that stallone was using steroids at all....somebody else did and you are putting words in my mouth.  What if somebody said that YOU were doing roids?  Id be afraid to see how you would take that considering your response here....sure people fling it around recklessly, but who cares?? There are alot worse things you can be accused of than using a little monkey serum.  How did this ever get to be about steroid use anyways? I just said I didnt think the dude was a good actor and that the movie was likely to be a joke, seeing as its just another example of hollywood milking franchises beyond their expiration date...somebody else brought up the drugs issue...  So to boil it down so I'm no longer misinterpreted:

1 Rocky Balboa = epitome of hollywoods ability to milk a franchise for much more than its worth
2 SOME "stars" from sports/ acting/ wrestling used and continue to use performance enhancing drugs

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 04:09:54 PM »

Ummm, I seem to remember starting this thread to see what people though of, or if they were going to go see the movie, NOT to have a big argument on Roids!! ::)  I have my views on this as well. But don't feel like sharing them on this thread. ;) 

Think I might go see the movie, but first the girlfriend wants to go see the movie coming out called, "Perfume".  Before you laugh, and call me a pussy, the movie was adapted from a  long older novel based in the 18th century. About a serial killer who has a real keen sense of smell, and he makes perfumes.  I'll let you fill in the blanks. :o :-\
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 04:14:29 PM »

Ummm, I seem to remember starting this thread to see what people though of, or if they were going to go see the movie, NOT to have a big argument on Roids!! ::)  I have my views on this as well. But don't feel like sharing them on this thread. ;) 

Think I might go see the movie, but first the girlfriend wants to go see the movie coming out called, "Perfume".  Before you laugh, and call me a pussy, the movie was adapted from a  long older novel based in the 18th century. About a serial killer who has a real keen sense of smell, and he makes perfumes.  I'll let you fill in the blanks. :o :-\

Meow....

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 04:34:21 PM »

Perfume is supposed to be really good.  I honestly hope that balboa is enjoyable, hollywood lately has been producing so many bad remakes lately that it has probably influenced my and many others expectations of what it will be like.

4x4

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 08:06:10 PM »

why would you throw out the "ROIDS" remark because someone twice you're age is in better shape than you ???? pretty serious words to throw around if you don't have proof!! I have been bodybuilding for a long time and I spend a big part of my life training and eating properly, it really pisses me off when people assume I am taking drugs just because I am in good shape  !!! a little bit of a rant , but this is a topic that gets to me !

and if you really knew anything about training and health you would realize that his body shows no signs of Drug use ! just a lot of hard work...

TR

TR,

I have to assume that part of your comments were directed at me since I mentioned Roids.
Just my personal opinion on one person. Don't have to rage about it  :D :D Just kidding .

There have been articles written on Stallone and steroids abuse . I will try and find the links and post them.
In the end it's all assumptions but he looks like a roid boy - no different than the WWF, football , baseball boxing (Toney...), UFC (Bonner...) crowd...............

It's a huge problem in high schools. My son works out and we even wondered if he was on the crap based on the shape he's in for his age. And after trips to the doctor and talking to him we are totally convinced it is a result of hard work.
Between boxing, the gym and all the other sports he plays you can't help but be in good shape. To bad all the loser selling that junk know that and take advantage of vulnerable kids.

I've alway wondered how insecure someone has to be to take steroids. So people can look at them and go WOW? In most cases that WOW means, what a freak. And then it's a race to see if your nuts turn into raisins, you die of cancer or a heart attack - which comes first? In the end it's usually all of the above.

Body builders and athletes in general will always go through these assumptions by people because those are the facts. Steroids are widely used and they also eventually widely kill.

To bad people like TR who work their a$$ off, at times get lumped in the same group (by the way I haven't seen anybody on this forum make those comments about you). Get used to it my man because it's not going to change. That why you have broad shoulder, to ignore those type of statements.

As for the movie.
I've heard it's the best Rocky movie since the original.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2006, 09:46:48 AM »

Thx for the reply 4X4 .. like I said it was a rant and wasn't even neccessarily aimed at anyone here in particular.. I have heard it my whole life at least since I started seriously competing and it does grow tiresome.. in many shows I have had to go through lie detector tests and urine tests to prove that I am clean.. even showing people these results fails to make them happy it seems.. I guess it does upset me when people assume because this is a huge part of my life and I am proud of what I have accomplished thus far.

Even if someone such as Stalone used supplements to help him along he still had to put a huge effort into getting into the shape that he is in, when someone says " Oh he must be on drugs " it takes away from all the work he has done, jst taking drugs does not a great build make!!

The general public only hears one side of the story,
they hear the fear tactics ,they hear the problems , the fact is that there hasn't been even one death in the last 40 years that has actually been attributed to Steroid use !! most people that do use them ie pro bodybuilders , never even feel some side effects unless they abuse the substance, the public sees idiots like that Valentino guy ( the man whos arms exploded ) and they assume that everyone is like that..

I belong to numerous bodybuilding sites and you would be amazed at how many posts there are by bodybuilders that have to deal with the same stereotypical things every day in their lives also, I just wish that people would do some research and think a little before they write about something they know very little about.. 4X4 in your'e last post alone you would be amazed at how much misinformation you are spreading just by the few small misconceptions regarding steroid use that you made... if you truly did you're research you would find that every comment you made can be proven wrong ..

In the end it is all up to the individual and the risks he/she are willing to take to accomplish their goals, if it is not you're thing then that is fine, just please learn some real facts before you post about it,

TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

4x4

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2006, 10:18:01 AM »

Thx for responding Rick.
I know you understand this issue better than me but I don't buy everything you said. One death in 40 yrs. No way.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/12/19/MNG14AEB7S1.DTL

http://www.coolnurse.com/steroids.htm

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C10/C10Links/www.tcada.state.tx.us/research/facts/steroids.html

http://www.anabolicsmall.com/steroid_risks.html

Stallone avoided answering questions regarding steroids during a recent interview.

My point is this stuff is really bad and way to many people use it.

Maybe another thread can be started on this subject.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 10:36:09 AM »

4X4 you just proved my point by posting those links. there has never been a sanctioned long term study done on " Steroids " not one of those studies was done by a reputable source , they are hear say columns posted by fear mongers..you have to understand that if anything ever happens to someone who takes " Steroids" the first thing people will assume is that the drugs caused it, on one of those sites you posted there is a list of bodybuilders that have So Called circumbed to these drugs, I think there are twenty or so names on there!! do you realize how many hundreds and thousands of bodybuilders there are in this world that takes steroids???? don't you think if they were really that dangerous that here would be more names on this list ?? seriously if you really want to know the truth and not a one sided misallignment of the truth I can give you books and books of literature, belive me 4X4 I make things like this my life and the fears of" Steroids" is one of the most often misconcieved subjects in this little world we call earth ! I am not promoting them in any way and I refuse to use them myself, but just like most things in this world if they are obtained from a safe source and they are not abused they are no more dangerous than any other supplement, I know that sounds crazy but that just shows you how misinformed the world is
TR
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:43:12 AM by thickrick »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2006, 04:46:10 PM »

someone just released the dvd illegally in the internet

its totally dvd retail quality
hardware == fish

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 11:11:32 PM »

My bad too!  I did say roids! and yes I said it without really thinking too much about it!  But he does look over bulked especially in the face area.  I would like to see some more recent pics of Stallone over the last couple of years.  How long would it take a guy to bulk up like he did for this movie.  Probably a good movie but let us all know so that we can rent it when it comes out if it is decent.

Lets not forget baseball and Mr. Bonds!  Just weights?  I think that we can make a VERY long list of guys who have darkened the bodybulding sport, its not fair, but! ???  Its kind of like anyone using a leader- no I won't go there! ;) Merry Christmas all!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2006, 08:08:07 AM »

someone just released the dvd illegally in the internet

its totally dvd retail quality

I don't get it - how can you release a DVD on the internet?  You mean someone is selling illegal copies of the DVD?
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2006, 08:14:42 AM »

"how can you release a DVD on the internet?'

P2P file sharing, and a good way to get some hard drive crippling viruses. Limewire etc.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2006, 09:13:23 AM »

saw a trailer for the movie on last nights Jimmy kimmel show and he did not look like he was not in that great of shape  ;D :D ;D :D ;) .
Did anyone else see it.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2006, 01:15:57 PM »

Sorry to change the topic on roids but I saw the movie yesterday and thought I'd give you my best Siskel and Ebert impression.  Thought it was right up there with #4 (with Dolf), not as good as #1, but I hate to report that this one is going to be labeled a chick flick.  My wife loved it, but she liked all the others,too.  Alot of build-up, the boxing doesn't really start until the third period.  Some funny lines.  Definitely worth the $25 that a movie, a small popcorn and a pop costs to see a movie now a days.

fishfinder

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2006, 04:57:52 PM »

Saw the movie and I have to give it a thumbs down. Too many scenes are copied from the first one. You might as well rent the first Rocky movie (which was great)  because it's essentially the same story, only in this one he's way older. I'll give it 2 out of 5.