Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Evening Flight, Dec. 11, A Hunting Thread  (Read 18550 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Evening Flight, Dec. 11, A Hunting Thread
« on: December 11, 2006, 06:01:39 PM »

Thought I would start a new thread where those interested in hunting can post their reports and pictures. As well to show respect to those that donot enjoy hunting and donot wish to read about trips a field so not to have them get into a thread about something else like we did on the Boxing Day Steelhead Derby thread.

Continuing from my poor day of shooting story from the thread mentioned above.

Went out to a local hazenut orchard for the last 15 minutes of hunting time. The wind was just howling but the ducks were really coming in, the trouble is they were all wood ducks, ducks that I seldom shoot. Not sure if I go back to the days they were in depressed numbers or is it they are such a beautful bird. The good news they are have rebounded to very good numbers here in the Valley.

So my day end 1 for 20, time now to go and try to hit a bird of a different feather, the badminton bird, I know I can hit it at least 80 or 90 percent of the time, I think so anyway. ;D ;D

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: The Evening Flight, Dec. 11, A Hunting Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:16:41 PM »

wood ducks sure are beautiful birds. I can remember as a kid my dad shot a pair and was so impressed with their looks he had them mounted on a piece of drift wood. He always liked to show them off to his friends, until one day he got home and a crazy hound dog we were trying to train had ripped both birds to shreds, Ive personally never seen my dad so mad. He didn't kill the dog, but one day soon after we were hunting and the dog ran off, I got a little upset and my father turned to me and said "son, if he wants run thats fine, maybe its better that way", and we never saw the dog again.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:22:09 PM »

Yes this is a good spot for interesting hunting stories like this too.

Maybe Rodney needs to start another categories, for hunters only. ;D ;D

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:26:04 PM »

Yes this is a good spot for interesting hunting stories like this too.

Maybe Rodney needs to start another categories, for hunters only. ;D ;D
Sounds good to me.  ;D

Nuggy

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 09:10:30 PM »

Even though I`m an avid bird watcher I also enjoy reading about hunting and love being out in the field for hunts. I love the taste of wild game with a preference for moose and duck  ;) Bring on the new area.

Cheers

Nuggy

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 11:26:26 PM »

Even though I`m an avid bird watcher I also enjoy reading about hunting and love being out in the field for hunts. I love the taste of wild game with a preference for moose and duck  ;) Bring on the new area.

Cheers

Nuggy
Yes bird watching is great too. Always a point to remember it has been the hunting fraternity that have but up money to protect wildlife, Ducks unlimited to mention none. Many will say they do this to provide a quarry to hunt, that is true but in the same time they have brought back many species from the brink.

Look at the wood ducks lucky mentioned, it was the work of the Chilliwack Fish Game and Protective Association that built and looked after them. Even in my time I never saw the wood ducks we have now.

Thanks Ernie, Mr Mason and Mr Vickerson to name a few that worked so hard at this for many years.

If interested in a good birding site one that 2:40 looks after, google bcbird.proboards3  (great pictures and bird info)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 12:17:16 PM »

With the Vedder in bad shape it means more hunting than fishing these days.
Slipped out to a spot we had been hunting but someone there, hope they have permission as these days it is very important and actually I believe the law to do so before you hunt on someone else's property.

People that donot ask can cause problems with landowners that will post no tresspassing signs effecting many of us in the future.

Daylight is now breaking and it is a perfect day for web foot hunting, a strong West wind and rain, so I decide to head to another spot I have permission. I want to redeem myself from Mondays awful shooting performance.

Om arrival a number of birds, all mallards are settled in for their morning feed. I park the Leaf Mobile and grab my gear as I want to get setups as quickly as possible as one never knows how long the morning flight will last.

The spread is set, gun loaded with three shells from a fresh box of ammo that was bought to replace all those that found only air on Monday's excursion.

I have just buried myself in a natural blind of tall grass and two ducks cup their wings and dive towards the decoy, I jump too soon and two blasts also find thin air, not another day of bad shooting I hope.

I reload the now spend cartridges and two more duck seem interested as they turn into range to my left, two shots sees only one duck leaving the area, as a plump drake comes to hand. As I slip back into the hide two more swoop in for a boo and like before one tumbles, one leaves, another greenhead joins the other bird, a brace now.

I decide two more birds will be plenty, that is if I can continue my improved shooting of today.

A few minutes later another pair is inbound, I wait patiently so not to jump too early and flare them before they are in range. Every time I see birds coming into the set excitement builds in my body. I believe it is human trait, going way back to our early ancestors when they were all hunters and gathers. They had to or they would not have survived and we would not be here today. The men folk had to go a field seeking game sometimes for days to provide for their loved ones at home, their wives and their precious children. Most people now do their hunting with a shopping cart but I still get the urge to return to my roots of being a hunter and a gather, thats just me being me. Those that choose not to is fine also, while we have the choice which is important thing.
Those that donot like hunting or fishing really donot realize this or if they do they would not admit it. That is what creates hunting and fishing debates.

The two birds draw with range I take my time after jumping to my feet, the safety clicks off, gun to the shoulder, my eyes focus on the lead bird, a drake, the 12 gauge barks with the bird tumbling. I now swing to the other duck, once again this bird joins the other as I now have my 4 birds, half a limit but plenty.

I take a few minutes to enjoy the surroundings, many gulls are circling in the thermo currents, the odd hawk flies overhead also searching for an unwary mouse or other prey, a hunter too, just like me.

Many more ducks are in the area and one heads straight into the decoy, I am now not shooting, just looking. He flops into the spread and seems uncertain of what he has done. He stays for a minute or two, I observe this drake's beauty, sometimes I can feel sorry for my quarry and regretful of what I have been doing for over 50 years. All of a sudden this lone bird decides he is in bad company and flees the scene, he lifts off carried quickly out of sight by the strong wind gusts from the West.

I gather up the birds, decoy and gun and leave the area too, I will return on another day as the call of the duck hunt will raise once again in my body something that is hard to discern to why it happens to us that hunt.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 03:32:14 PM »

Getting some nice Northerns now Cam, the 4 birds today were very nice plump guys, feeding on corn the last while, going to cook up 5 tonight from a previous shoot. ;D ;D

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 05:11:54 PM »

I want to start hunting, ive always wanted to and now with these journals i cant resist!! Someone take me!! ;D ;D

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 07:30:22 PM »

So Chris, when we gonna do some hunting together???  Canada starting again in the next few days.. maybe we should go do some field control...   nothing beat carry your 8 green head and 5 canada on your shouder or 10 if you come to Ladner walking back to your car. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 09:36:53 PM »

So Chris, when we gonna do some hunting together???  Canada starting again in the next few days.. maybe we should go do some field control...   nothing beat carry your 8 green head and 5 canada on your shouder or 10 if you come to Ladner walking back to your car. 
Hoping to combine a fishing trip in with it too. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 09:48:15 PM »

Had roasted duck tonight and was it ever good. Roasted in a bed of herbs, onions, mushrooms etc..

Gravy made, poured over the slices of mallard breast followed by some lemon butter poured over it as well. Tasted all the better eating it and watching the Leafs roast the Hurricanes. ;D ;D

With the steelhead fishing on hold, time to bag a few more ducks on the morning flight tomorrow.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 10:05:05 PM »

I find the store bought ducks too fat. Are the wild ones leaner ?

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 11:19:56 PM »

FA: Its all depends.. now, the northern ducks seems to contain much more fat then the one i shot early in the season...

I also went for the morning flight today... its very windy and cold....   First light, get all my decoys set in the flooded field.. sit back behind my blind and wait.   Saw a pair flying in a distance and comming to my way.. so i sart to put out few lound call to get their attention then switch it to feeding call...  the bird comming in hard and low..around 20 yard, i yelled to my buddy " take'em" he poped up... bang- bang.. 2 shot both bird still flying.. so i pop up, pull the trigger.. i guess i didn't lead enough, didn't get the drake ended up taking down a hen.. oh well.  Thats it for the day, no more ducks flying just some honker... so buddy and i start playing with the call.. got them comming to the shooting distance but too bad they are not open until tomorrow... packed up my decoys at around 9:30 and went home.  Pluked the duck for lunch, roasted with orange juice and finish with a bosamic reduction.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 05:39:14 PM »

Morning flight was dismal for me today as well. We had a bit of a freeze up last night and I have noticed in the past they do not fly that well then. Especially when hunting in a field that has the standing water frozen over.

Only one mallard snuck in and caught me by surprise so did not get a shot off. ???

May try a corn field tomorrow and see if they are flying there.