Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River  (Read 2246 times)

Sandhead

Stave River
« on: December 09, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »

Went for a nice walk along the Stave River today.

Lots of eagles and still a couple poachers taking back fish after fish back to there car after hooking some really beat up fish from the side channel Placed a quick call to the DFO and provided a license plate.  It was funny watching the three people take back a whole bunch of near dead fish (Spring, Chum and a one cherry red Coho).

Judging by the new signs along the river I guess BCHydro doesnt think the dam will make it through a earthquake.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 04:45:23 PM »

It was funny watching the three people take back a whole bunch of near dead fish (Spring, Chum and a one cherry red Coho).

Christmas dinner ? :D

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 05:15:19 PM »

THIS HAPPENS EVERY YEAR, APPARENTLY THEY DEEP FRY THEIR FISH/FERTILIZER ! GROSS !

Sandhead

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 05:44:57 PM »

The chum I was catching back in mid November looked like they were already inedible. The chum these guys today were catching looked living dead and all rotten.
It's kinda sad when people can afford to drive to the river in a fairly new Nissan Altima (DFO has the plate number), but can't afford to eat a fish that doesn't have its flesh all rotten.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 07:20:49 PM »

Is it true that you can't fish in the spawning channel, I can't find any concrete regs anywhere, and the stave is not even listed in the Provincial regs, suprisingly enough.

I've wandered way down along the backwaters below the spawning channel where all those 'anglers' fish, I'm assuming that is okay...

Anyone know what the official boundary is for the no fishing area? I see people in the channel between the two bridges all the time.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 09:18:15 PM »

The body fat content of those fish make them exquisite at this time. ;) Less fat the better I say. :) Just take the skin off, don't eat it. :-X
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

coho_killer

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 10:22:35 PM »

so what your saying is just take the rotting skin off the chum from the stave and there good to eat? I'll pass!

C.K.
Wild fish don't do drugs!

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:41:36 PM »

On the topic of the Stave, how's it do for steelhead?  I'm assuming it won't really get going until Christmas if it does at all.