Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bug hunting  (Read 2734 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Bug hunting
« on: February 13, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »

Watched the video on bug pumping on Rods new vids. Decided tonight was the night to give it a try...Only had about a half hour till dark so wasn't the smartest time but I worked till 5 so that was it...I hit birch bay, went out to some of the shallow pools and found holes...and pumped...and pumped...you get the picture...I finally got one big boy, the pump wouldn't bring him out but I saw him in the hole and grabbed him, got another one just about dark...that was it..
So, do you stick near shore more or is anywhere OK? I saw allot of holes with little dirt worms next to them, I tried them but never found any in there..and I tried allot of holes that just didn't have anything that I could see in them, It clouded up immediately so not sure if there is a trick or something...
Stored um on paper towel and in the fridge, hopefully tomorrow I can stop for an hour if tide is right and get more for Thursday...Any hints would be appreciated..

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Bug hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »

how wide is the pump head, if u get a bigger pump head u suck up more sand water and bugs!
Fish killer 101

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:13:43 PM »

it's made out of pvc tubing, would say 2-3"

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 07:25:49 PM »

Hey there X, I found in my forays that closer to the ocean was'nt as productive and that just searching out little pools about ankle height in depth and being really quick after the first plunge because they can go fast. I usually do three or sometimes four scoops into the same hole. After about an hour I usually average about 12 or 15 if I'm lucky. I made my own pump with a two inch plastic PVC pipe and a threaded rod, along with a wooden plunger and a ball. Its not the best but it's worked for me now for five seasons and only cost me about 15 bucks. I always take an empty container to hold a little water in so's I can give them a refresher course every day. I layer mine in wet paper towels and change the paper every day or two. They should live if treated right for 5 to 7 days, at least thats how its been for my babies. Hope this helps a bit.  :)

Clipper

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »

golfman this is clipper u want to be ther just when the tide is going out so its still wet so u get hydrolics to suck im out go to cresent beach boat launch go to the end of the parking lot there is a wire fence that goies out to the water start close to the shore look for a single hole the ones with the little worms are clams dont waste your time on the  again look for single holes you need lots of moister and REMEMBER what porky pig says  we have to walk very very qwiettly dont stomp around and wher u find one there will be 5 to 10 right by i have always gotten mine right by the shore and always got my 50 in about 1 hr  i dont know if u know but u need salt water licence and there is a 50 limit and they are out ther busting people i go at the 11 pm tide till 1 am cause u can keep100 but unless u are going to help out your friends just keep 50 all u need is 1 at the ranger run 1 cast and thats it .the days over last year i got 5 in 5 casts on the riprap  ubove allison on the mighty goast shrimp i have an alvey bug pump ther is no other it is from aussey land look it up on the net ALVEY REELS AND BUG PUMPS LOTS OF INFO THERE.hope u have luck use sea grass on top
tight lines

Eightball

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 07:44:06 PM »

Those pumps sound really cool. How do you learn to make them. Is there a post on them?
I use to get them down at Ocean Shores to fish in the surf. All we used was a clam tube and found a spot with lots of holes and got close to the water so that when you pulled the tube up the water would rush into the hole and wash the bugs into the hole and we would just watch and scoop them up. You really need the water to wash them into the hole. We would fill a milk carton in about 45 minutes.  ::)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 07:50:32 PM »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 09:00:29 PM »

thanks guys...I'm learning...slowly...I would say the tide was out well over an hour so that probably didn't help much...hopefully can hit it better tomorrow...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 09:58:19 PM »

Personally I like to pump for those critters after the tide has gone out. I like to concentrate on the tidal pools.  One hint, after you pump several holes wait for a few second and come back to check on the original holes. What has happened is that the tunnels have collapsed and the onrushing water sucks the bugs out of their holes and onto the surface. If you don't check the bugs will be eaten by nearby seagulls and crows.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 01:37:01 PM »

I'm trying Birch bay..i've heard it produces well...but im thinking of hitting the flats right in front here in blaine.