Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning Brunette al a hobo  (Read 3972 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Burning Brunette al a hobo
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:26:40 AM »

Having gone skiing early Sunday and returned with a few hours to spare before lock down, decided to check out the Chum returns on the Brunette. Last been there during a bike ride in the summer, I noticed a few tents set up accross the river from Hume park. Friend and I walked along and saw some dead chum laying around which was a good sight. The bad sight was another abandoned tent city further down with garbage hanging from the trees all around. None of these were there during the summer. We were almost back at the car when I heard one of the tent occupants call someones name and looked over at the tent area. Slowly but steadily smoke started to rise, turning quite black that my friend said they must be burning a tire. Before long the whole tent area was in flames. A local person phoned the fire department, but it looked difficult for them to get to, and the thing would burn itself out anyway. We left before the fire department arrived but what a mess these people leave behind. I guess they want waterfront views but do they have to leave a mess and now a burnt up campsite.
The things you see on a walk. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: Burning Brunette al a hobo
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 10:25:47 AM »

what is with people living outside and doing the tenting thing these days? This is a big problem on the Vedder as well, I stumbled acrosss one myself. People living in fetid conditions, wrecking the place, and abandoning it once it's no longer liveable.

Then leaving it for taxpayers to clean up once they're done... It really disgusts me.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:24:04 AM »

I know where you are coming from Nicole. I don't like to see things like that, but there seems to be something wrong with the social safety net that used to be in place to help folks like this. Sad to say, but I think some of these folks have nowhere else to go, and they are forced to live in rundown filthy camps by the river or out in a park.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »

What you say is fine and dendy.  But what cause them to be like that in the first place?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 01:23:25 PM »

I just think some of them want to live for free, and if that means camping outside, so be it.

I've met too many young people in my early left-wing university years who try to live outside the 'system', and don't want to pay rent, and mooch off others...

As for the Vedder problem, there are lots of cheap places to live in chilliwack, and there is a vacancy rate, so there is no excuse for it.

Vancouver is another story, housing is far too expensive for low income people, and I really feel for them...

BUT I personally think you have to live where you can afford to, and if that means moving to a lower cost town, then so be it.

I think the people being kicked off welfare are part of the problem over the past couple of years, they just deal with whatever life circumstance that allows them to do little or nothing for themselves...

Of course there are drug addiction problems too.

There should be new drug institutions built that allow addicts to be institutionalized and undergo detox, get life skills training, counselling... And not allow them back into freedom until drug free, and trained for a job, and a roof over their head.... These people need to be made to feel they have something to offer society.

Mental patients should be welcomed back into facilities, and kept there if they can't care for themselves. It's just plain wrong to see these people harming themselves in the streets, it's a travesty.

Looks like our government is about to do something to help fix these problems:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2006/10/27/bc-campbell-welfare.html

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 01:43:50 PM »

Let's hope things do improve so that less people find themselves in this situation.  Because  homelessness is a province wide issue. What is real scary to think about is that if it is this bad now when things are supposed to be going so good for the province, what is it going to be like when the downturn occurs?

OldTrout

• dino on a leash !!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 02:35:07 PM »

Hi gang,

this is not just a BC issue.

I am away on business at the moment and say the same issues of drug addiction and street life in London UK and also here in Paris where I am now.

Govt's everywhere need to think hard about how they deal with the lower end of society.

On another point enjoy the steelies while you can, I will be back and out there chasing them myself soon enough..

;)

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:54:18 PM »

The really frustrating part is feeling like there is nothing you can do to help while you watch your beloved environment succumb to poisoning from what amounts to an "I don't care attitude". I live downtown and work smack in the middle of Gastown and see all kinds of things every day. The folks down here are marginally better off than the folks squatting on the Vedder because they have some form of support nearby.

Nicole, I agree with you with regards to better support programs and life skills training for addicts. The mental patients that were ejected onto the streets when institutions shut their doors never had the skills to deal with society. They should indeed be welcomed back into any institution that can care for them.

Lastly, I made a change in my own societal behavior about two months ago. I decided to stop giving change to the approximately 5 - 10 people per day (depending on which walking route I take to work, where I go for lunch, etc.) that ask me. I just say no unless I have the time and then I'll ask why? There is one exception to my rule, his name is Andy and he has been on the street for 5 years or more. Whenever I see him, which is usually once every two weeks, he gets a toonie. I still feel like I am helping someone directly excluding the donations I make to Gordon House every year.

Good luck with the Steelies everyone  ;D

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 08:25:31 PM »

At the Vedder Crossing, on the Old Cafe side, go down the gravel road a bit and on the right hand side there is a huge one, with crap all over the place

Yeah, that pool was one of my favourite fishing places.  Amazing how it can change in one year.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 12:13:13 AM »

"there is a huge one, with crap all over the place"

What is it?

"Yeah, that pool was one of my favourite fishing places.  Amazing how it can change in one year."

What the heck is it?

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 12:17:42 AM »

if a 16 year old can get a job, so can anyone else.

enough to afford housing that will keep you off the streets unless you use that money on alcohol and drugs.

That's just what I think

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 12:41:51 AM »

enough to afford housing that will keep you off the streets unless you use that money on alcohol and drugs.

That's just what I think

Alot of the homeless don't have the necessary education nor the employable skills.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 01:27:26 AM »

That's just what I think

Only if it were to be easier done than said. A lot of  homeless people really do not want in the postion that are in , but what choices do they have?  With the city unwilling to provide adequate affordable housing for these people, your just going to see more people pushed out on to the streets. It's sad to see, it really is.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 09:29:26 AM »

If the BC Government has plans to deal with this I don't know what there waiting for. It's pretty cold to be outdoors every day right now.

I think practically most of the people doing this camping thing have some sort of mental issue that doesn't allow them to look after themselves. Throwing money at surveys etc instead of providing some basic housing that they would use, needs to be done sooner than later. I remember them setting patients from Riverview loose and some died along the banks of the Coquitlam river. That was the result of surveys that said it was better for them. I would hate to come across a dead homeless person while out fishing or a bike ride. Seems like the Olympics in strange priorities on how we deal with people. Just some basic shelter for them were they can lock the door and feel safe would probably work.

Unfortunately when they set up camp they can be the biggest polluter to grace the environment. It is getting worse every year.

As far as the drug stuff goes, I guess alot of these people were on medication of some kind before and now resort to street drugs to feel better.