Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO lack of managment  (Read 3935 times)

fishonsteelheader

DFO lack of managment
« on: November 28, 2006, 03:30:38 PM »

Hi everyone just want to see how many of you are as sick of DFO as I am. There lack of management for sockeye
and coho is crap! I would like to join or start some kind of group that can get some kind of conservation back. Thankyou :) :)
love to fish.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: DFO lack of managment
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 03:57:22 PM »

They are trying I just think they don't have enough officers to cover everywhere. I think they should try to hire and train more officers. And as far as fish numbers I agree!!!
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 03:59:33 PM »

Hi everyone just want to see how many of you are as sick of DFO as I am. There lack of management for sockeye
and coho is crap! I would like to join or start some kind of group that can get some kind of conservation back. Thankyou :) :)
First this sounds like a troll.

Second be much more specific.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:21:15 PM »

If you have lots of time just check around this and other fishing sites and you will see there is a lot of groups that are doing things. ;D ;D

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 04:30:27 PM »

If you have lots of time just check around this and other fishing sites and you will see there is a lot of groups that are doing things. ;D ;D
do you know of any
love to fish.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 06:57:32 PM »

Seeing as how there are a lot of people complaining about the conservation units, I decided a couple years ago that I would focus my schooling on going to UNBC to become such an officer. This decision was made due to the fact that it is potentially a great paying job and one cant find too many other jobs that deal with wildlife and forestry as much as DFO does. Having said that, I know that I most likely wont make much of a difference in the province; however, I am sure that I would be able to help a few runs ;)
And one more thing, I am sure that I wont be one of very few kids deciding to take up this career because the count for people fishing and the youngins on this site who care just as much as I do about our great fortune which therefore might help a lot more.

Pat AV

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 09:08:28 AM »

"I think they should try to hire and train more officers."

Every time a DFO bashing debate comes up I let people know that DFO is hiring and will be training 20 new Fisheries Officers as we speak.

Troy Leech

Look up the following on Google to find some groups that are trying to make a difference for our fisheries:

Pacific Stream Keepers Federation
Steelhead Society Of British Columbia
Langley Environmental Partners Society
Fraser Valley Regional Watersheds Coalition
Seymour Salmonid Society
ARMS
KEEPS
BC Wildlife Federation
BC Driftfishers

I am involved in several of these groups Troy and I can assure you that you will be very happy with any of them when you get involved. Also check out the Green Cafe on this site for Stream/Fisheries Stewardship info! Enjoy you exploration!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 09:13:35 AM by Pat AV »
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 04:05:54 PM »

"I think they should try to hire and train more officers."

Every time a DFO bashing debate comes up I let people know that DFO is hiring and will be training 20 new Fisheries Officers as we speak.

Troy Leech

Look up the following on Google to find some groups that are trying to make a difference for our fisheries:

Pacific Stream Keepers Federation
Steelhead Society Of British Columbia
Langley Environmental Partners Society
Fraser Valley Regional Watersheds Coalition
Seymour Salmonid Society
ARMS
KEEPS
BC Wildlife Federation
BC Driftfishers

I am involved in several of these groups Troy and I can assure you that you will be very happy with any of them when you get involved. Also check out the Green Cafe on this site for Stream/Fisheries Stewardship info! Enjoy you exploration!
thankyou for the help I know that its not just dfo its the government as well
love to fish.

Pat AV

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 08:21:07 PM »

No problem Troy, I hope you find what you are looking for. Welcome aboard.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 08:31:11 PM »

I doubt they lack management, just field officers. The managers are just fine thank you. The idea is you lay off all your field staff so you don't get reports of any wrong doings. That way there's a lot less problems or work to do and everything looks tickity-boo on paper. As for joining the rank and file, just keep your day job to help you through the lay offs.

Heard good things about the BC Driftfishers though.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 09:49:27 PM »

The DFO do their best at managing the fisheries and they are very effective at achieving their goal.  The only problem is that people just fails to comprehend what is their goal.  They are your typical empire builders.

1.  They want to become larger than large.  They are achieving this by various means.
2.  They create/identify crises, so that they can convince people how important they are.  Hence, can demand to get more funding to contribute to Goal #1.
3.  They do not do enforecement to prove to everyone they they do not have enough funding.  Hence, can demand to get more funding to contribute to Goal #1.

The more the fisheries gets destroyed, the greater the funding they can get.  They govenment is spending over 10 times the revenues from fisheries on DFO. 

Every single thing that the DFO manage gets destroyed.  Hence, they are doing excellent job of managing their Department.  They are always committed to their goals.

If you are complining that they are not doing what you want them to do...........The only way you can get something done properly is to do it yourselves.

That is exactly what the 'Halibut Commission' and 'Sable Fish Commission' did.  They are made of fishermen that fish for 'Halibut' and 'Black Cod' commercially.  Interestingly enough, these two fisheries do not have crises like the Salmon or Atlantic Cod.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 08:00:18 PM »

The DFO do their best at managing the fisheries and they are very effective at achieving their goal.  The only problem is that people just fails to comprehend what is their goal.  They are your typical empire builders.

1.  They want to become larger than large.  They are achieving this by various means.
2.  They create/identify crises, so that they can convince people how important they are.  Hence, can demand to get more funding to contribute to Goal #1.
3.  They do not do enforecement to prove to everyone they they do not have enough funding.  Hence, can demand to get more funding to contribute to Goal #1.

The more the fisheries gets destroyed, the greater the funding they can get.  They govenment is spending over 10 times the revenues from fisheries on DFO. 

Every single thing that the DFO manage gets destroyed.  Hence, they are doing excellent job of managing their Department.  They are always committed to their goals.

If you are complining that they are not doing what you want them to do...........The only way you can get something done properly is to do it yourselves.

That is exactly what the 'Halibut Commission' and 'Sable Fish Commission' did.  They are made of fishermen that fish for 'Halibut' and 'Black Cod' commercially.  Interestingly enough, these two fisheries do not have crises like the Salmon or Atlantic Cod.
well all I know is that last year sockeye I saw One DFO! officer and I saw alot of double Dipper's. and pepole that would bring the hole family even the dog and they would hook a fish and bring it five feet from shore and then hand of the rod. these family's would walk away with 10 fish. I also did not see one officer this coho seasone. some say that in the year 2010 we will have no fish left and that pisses me off. I just love my sport and will fight to keep it as Long as i can. :( :( >:( >:(
love to fish.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 08:14:57 PM »

well first it was no troll!!!!!
I just am sick of pepole that do not fallow the rules and think that any fish they catch whether its fouled hook or not they  keep. Double dippers and pepole that bring the hole family and the dog and hook the fish bring it five feet from the shor and hand the rod off.
I could go on for ever and ever.I just want to fish with my kid and one day with his kids. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
love to fish.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 09:11:30 PM »

well first it was no troll!!!!!
I just am sick of pepole that do not fallow the rules and think that any fish they catch whether its fouled hook or not they  keep. Double dippers and pepole that bring the hole family and the dog and hook the fish bring it five feet from the shor and hand the rod off.
I could go on for ever and ever.I just want to fish with my kid and one day with his kids. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Troy, I am no fan of the violations you saw while fishing however imho these infractions will not destroy the Fraser River fisheries.
If you are so inclined to look at major problems with fisheries I would say to research impacts like forestry, mining, hydro electric, garbage dumps, human sewage, industrial pollution, habitat loss due industrial, agricultural and residential development, commercial and aboriginal fishing and a few more to finish giving the boots to the fish. 150 years of ignorance, greed and growth has put us in this situation.

For me the people you seem angry at are more unethical than anything. Although sport fishing has a minor impact on fish stocks, I feel blaming the sport fishery for the fisheries major problems is wrong. It lets the real culprits off the hook, the ones I mentioned above.

Good luck on your quest to help keep the fisheries healthy. Oh yeah, *LF* and myself were checked by a fisheries officer Sunday on the lower Vedder, the first time I`ve been checked in about 15 years.

Cheers

Nuggy

yes i do understand that pollution is the major problem but how many pepole that are not sport fishery like some of us are. if we let these pepole keep doing this to are fish how long till we have no fish to catch. I'm glad that they were out maybe they have pickup there socks :o
love to fish.